General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Apr-18 18:58:18
Print Post

Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[link to this post]

I have just moved into a flat and came from Virgin FTTH but will now be getting BT FTTC next week. From my old adsl days I recall a master socket (I think) but as we only ever had one phone socket, it was obvious where that was!

The problem I have now is this flat, built in 2003 and it has about 5 phone sockets, installed when it was built. So I have no idea where the master socket might be, I guess if I needed to use it, I would need to take the faceplate off each socket until I find it? All sockets look identical, just a brushed metal look with a single plug.

I also can't see any telegraph poles with lines going over towards the flats (it's 2x 3 storey buildings with 12 flats in each), I guess the copper cabling must have been put underground or something?

I assume I will need to plug a microfilter into each socket and then any phones into the microfilters, just like when I had adsl many years ago?

And I guess with so many sockets, I can plug the modem into any of them?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-18 22:07:51
Print Post

Re: Master socket/microfilters/no telegraph poles?

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

FTTC works MUCH better if run from a single socket with no extension wiring connected, or from a filtered faceplate with the extension wiring connected afterwards.

Is it possible there’s an NTE hiding in a cupboard somewhere, maybe where the fuse board is located also ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Apr-18 23:23:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was wondering if it is one of those “oh so elegant” silly modular systems.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User unknown101
(regular) Tue 10-Apr-18 07:33:21
Print Post

That or comes in by the main door and then star wired all around the flat, had that many times before. Best to disconnect everything and run off the master socket, but a NTe5 and SSFP off eBay, if not in an ideal location then run a data extension off the SSFP to an ideal location nearby with power. Basic krone tool and a preterminated RJ11 on the other end job done.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:04:31
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Well this is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I don't know if there is another socket, there is a cupboard in the hallway so I will have to check in there. It sounds like the whole thing is probably a complete mess. All I know is most of the sockets I found had a filter hanging out of them and they are all identical looking metal faceplates.

This is a pic of the one in the living room where I most likely want to put the router and modem (I dont know what the plain one is to the right of it with no sockets on it!)
http://i65.tinypic.com/23saek1.jpg

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 09:05:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:47:36
Print Post

Plain is just a blanking plate - maybe Ethernet was an option or similar.

Down to you or paying someone to figure out which socket is best to be the master, or this may be in the hallway cupboard

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:49:05
Print Post

Take everyone off the wall and take a picture - for reference and post them here.

Check what type of wire has been used, how many wires to each, are there any additional components on any or all ...

Look in the meter cupboard for any additional sockets, or plain BT boxes. There are "master terminations" which do not have a socket on them - just a face plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:10:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah I hope there isn't some sort of master socket in the meter cupboard because the meter cupboard is outside the flat, on the landing, and past the lift!

I am thinking I might have to get BT out to figure it out and make sure the right socket is in the right place. I am going with IDNET so hopefully if I have to do that then they will be better at getting it sorted than most. My activation day is Friday 20th.

I will open them up and take some more pics.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:14:11
Print Post

If you get Openreach to do it then looking at around £130 charge

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:14:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I will open them up and see if one of them is maybe a master, if I cant sort it out then will probably have to get an engineer out to sort it.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:16:13
Print Post

I expect that's what I might have to do. Hopefully if I do end up needing that, I can still use it in the mean time without screwing up the line settings and ended up on some sort of slow line as a result. Especially after I have invested in a zyxel B10a to use in bridge mode with my AC86U.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 10:20:13)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 10:23:50
Print Post

And if there is a master remote from the flat, BT may not want to do much else as that wiring was installed by others and of unknown quality and routing.

Have a good look around and pictures of the wiring of all sockets will help.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 12:47:31
Print Post

I meant a cupboard in your flat itself ....

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 14:50:20
Print Post

The most recent flat I've worked in has just such an arrangement. There's a master socket (and FTTP fibre) coming up into a cupboard in the middle of the flat. There are four secondary sockets dotted around the flat coming from this. Or there were wink

The sockets were all wired with Cat 5e so they're now being used for ethernet smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:11:54
Print Post

Ok I have got pictures of all of them except one

First pic is a cupboard in the hallway, the others are living room, kitchen and bedroom. The first one looks a bit different to the others.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2h2ma1i.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2u793eu.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/22b0bm.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/optw8h.jpg
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:21:40
Print Post

The first is the actual master - the components confirm it.

The Bl/W and W/Bl will be in incoming pair, and the Bl/W, W/Bl & Or/W are to an extension which could be pic 3 or 4 (or the missing one), from there it will go to the next one which has two sets, then to the next and finally to the one in Pic 2 with just one.

It looks like CW1308 - phone cable.

Not an easy way to get a connection to the living room where you need/want it. If there is enough at each location to pull some more cable through to give access to Gn/W & W/Gn you may be able to daisy chain a data connection through - with a faceplate in the cupboard. Not the nicest and cleanest but would be better than multiple filters.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:28:47
Print Post

Number 1 looks like the master.

Immediate change remove ring wire from pin 3, modern phones will ring and microfilters reproduce the ring wire if needed.

For best what you need to do is replace the socket 1 with a proper master socket and fit a faceplate filter.

https://amzn.to/2HbUx6U £6.39 for a new master (but will up more proud from the wall than the existing one probably and need to check sizes.

Solwise do a faceplate filter https://amzn.to/2qmeGfX £8.95

The issue being if this is the master socket you are not meant to fiddle, if you get it wrong and create a fault you are likely to get charged for putting it right.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:32:10
Print Post

So my options I think?

Plug the modem into that master socket in the cupboard and maybe then try and run a cat5 to the living room where I want to put the router (which I believe is the location of the 3rd pic) - then have a filter on each phone?

Pull some more cable through if possible and use Gn/W and W/Gn (no idea how to do that tongue)

or get IDNET to get BT to move the master socket to the living room assuming they can/will do that and pay about £130)?
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:38:28
Print Post

So to be able to plug the modem in at all, I need to change the master socket to an NTE5 (and figure out hwo to wire it properly) and then stick a new faceplate on it?

This would still require filters on each phone in the other sockets?

And this would mean I can only plug the modem into this socket (probably 20m from where I am thinking about putting the router)?

In which case I would then need to run a cat5 from that cupboard from the modem to the router.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:41:05
Print Post

Put a FILTERED face plate on that socket. Then you can have phones at each location without dangly filters. You could plug the modem in there and run Cat5e.

Or as above, but if you can get Gn/W & W/Gn at each socket, connect those to the A&B terminals on a faceplate, then twist together the matching pair at each socket and insulate, then convert the last one to an RJ socket not phone and plug in the modem there. Not ideal and would be sub optimal but would overcome the problem.

Getting the master moved - easy enough but you will have CW1308 around te skirting board and door frames. So you may as well save the money and run Cat5e.

M H C

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 15:48:47
Print Post

Ahhh ok, not too bothered about dangling filters around, already have enough for each socket anyway.

Definitely do not want sub optimal performance on it so that leaves moving the master or running a cat5.

damnit.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 16:01:09
Print Post

You might get away with it - what are the current "forecast" speeds from BT?

Dangly filters will also give potential issues - you really do need to get teh master converted to a new NTE5 with filtered faceplate.

M H C

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 16:06:47
Print Post

Forecast figures are up to 69mb on a good line. I know I have a Huawei cabinet and am using a good broadcom modem (Zyxel B10A in bridge mode) to try and maximise what I get.

I could grab an NTE5 and Solwise faceplate as MrSaffron said
https://amzn.to/2HbUx6U
https://amzn.to/2qmeGfX

Hopefully I can take the old one off and wire it properly! I guess there must be guides somewhere on exactly how to do it.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 20:14:17)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 16:16:20
Print Post

Get yourself a Krone/IDC tool too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Network-Telephone-... is one example.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-18 17:32:02
Print Post

You could just use filters after removing ring wire, but as an example neighbour went from ADSL to VDSL2 and had star wiring (3 sockets) and after fitting a faceplate filter went from 5 Mbps to 25 Mbps the effect can be that big

If it was my place and with your wiring I'd get the wiring arranged so that the master is where I want it and no other extensions at all, i.e. rely on DECT for the phone

The wiring can be connected using jelly crimps and then blank chrome faceplates added to the unused sockets

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 17:50:02
Print Post

Yeah this is what I am thinking, pay to get BT to move the master socket.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 18:39:11
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Yep, seems a common set up on some newer flats .... sounds identical to some I know by the racecourse in Newbury ...

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 18:46:50
Print Post

Agreed, 1 is the master......

The feed pair will be from the cable which doesn’t have the bell wire terminated from it.

(see, I said it’d be in the utility cupboard wink)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-18 18:50:29
Print Post

Awww come on ..... twist the pairs up ?!?! shocked

Maybe for voice at a push.

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:10:41
Print Post

If when you order the line a Openreach engineer has to come and install the line, he/she will sort that out for you. A basic install has 1 hours work inside the flat fitting a master socket where no current Demarcation point is or basically on a outside wall (Demarcation where the incoming line terminates, is a BT logo or Openreach Logo socket with removable lower half) or a premium install gives 2 hours to move the master socket to where you want. Any wiring past the master socket as extensions need TRC banding. Do not fit any master sockets, especially non branded ones from Amazon or eBay! Bane of my life doing an install where builders or the owner have fitted non approved master sockets or star wired the lot!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:27:16
Print Post

Waiting for you to bite! But as a first off to see if it will work, it would be adequate and then tidy up if performance is Ok. Pointless getting crimps or in-line IDCs if performance is abysmal.

M H C

Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:36:18
Print Post

Personally I would grab the NTE5 and filter from ebay, that way one can get a genuine BT/Openreach one. Go for an older NTE5a and then if there are problems you can just blame the previous owners/tenants, or hapless BT engineer some time in the dim and distant past. I have several ancient ones salvaged over the years for stealth fiddling with the master socket. Put old yellow thing on get line activated, Openreach engineer promptly replaces with new one and ditches the old one in the bin provided, which I then retrieve as sonn as they have left 😁
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:49:56
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

We can tell when it has been played with believe me!
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-18 19:55:17
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Openreach dont always have to visit if a working line is already present, merely just a jumper change on the frame if the existing line to the property tests ok from the exchange end. Cheaper for the service provider to do that than to pay for a engineer visit, and create a appointment for the customer to wait in for....

Edited by 8skellerns (Tue 10-Apr-18 19:56:43)

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Apr-18 20:26:11
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Phone is active, the broadband is active on 20th. Previous owners must have had broadband as they left a few filters plugged in to the various extension sockets. I am still trying to fathom what I need to do.

The master socket is in the cupboard in the hallway but does not have a lower part that can be removed, just a standard square faceplate, there are 4 extensions around the flat (1 each bedroom and 1 either side of living room). I am still not entire sure where I want it, I can have the master as one of the 2 living room sockets, or in the big bedroom (trying to work out which place to put my desk and pc! Not sure if living room is a good place or not).

I am thinking I can simply unplug all the phones and use the current master socket with a filter just to test the speed and purely use wifi for a while when deciding final location. I might even be able to use a filter on the extension sockets and see what speed I can get via them, might get lucky and still get a good speed from it and not need to do anything!

Once I decide where I need the master socket, as I understand it, an engineer could re-wire the existing master to make my chosen socket the master without having to run any cables, and simply disconnect all the other extensions that I won't really need (and will likely cause issues) as I can just use DECT anyway. Whatever way it's done I want the best broadband speed I can get from it.

Edited by Ewok (Tue 10-Apr-18 22:06:02)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-18 22:09:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by 8skellerns:

Why? Do they look nice and neat, ends properly trimmed, ty-wrap inplace ...tongue

M H C

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-18 23:03:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:

Why? Do they look nice and neat, ends properly trimmed, ty-wrap inplace ...tongue

I know right tongue

I know when the engineers came to install our FTTP the engineer that did the internal work knew I did all the internal wiring right up to the BT80 including the Gel Crimps, when I asked why, he replied due to its all neat and tidy and it looked like a lot of work went into it.

Which it did, I took my time doing it tongue

So that says something tongue

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:18:47
Print Post

If you have a proper install done then I think they would change your master socket to the later type, you could then use the existing wiring as a data extension.

Theres a photo guide in my signature, there is a description which goes with each picture. it really is quite simple if you use have the correct tools, especially a Krone tool.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:48:12
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I think I will just try plugging the modem into one of the extensions with no phones connected and see what kinda speeds I get. Then plug it into the existing master and see what I get there. Then decide what to do.

I have been looking up the wiring and as I understand it, wire 3 is the bell wire and should just be disconnected anyway and then 2 and 5 are the copper pair so it is pretty simple it seems.

So I guess what I could do is replace this old master socket with an NTE5a, then also attach the extensions to the a/b terminals and use the sockets purely for data, with the phone only plugged into the filtered master socket? So I assume that would then mean I could plug the modem into any of the sockets I choose (using a filter just so I am able to plug it in since the RJ11 obviously won't go straight into the phone socket). I guess depending on the wiring it might affect the speeds, or it might not?

Edited by Ewok (Wed 11-Apr-18 23:12:48)

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-18 23:51:13
Print Post

Our new recruits have to do it to standards. We are not pressurised into getting a job done fast, we are instead pressurised to do it right and correctly on the first visit to stop repeat reports of problems, and to look after the customer experience. Gone of the days of quantity over quality. Unfortunately, some old Openreach engineers still have that mentality, and I feel sorry for you if you get a Contractor (Quinns, Kellys etc) to do the task as they are paid per job and will cut corners whenever possible. Not all of them are bad, I have seen some quality work from them, but the majority of the time its bodge it and scarper with them frown
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-18 23:53:10
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thing is you can spend days doing it, having loads of cuppas in the meantime lol! But yeah, see what you mean smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 12-Apr-18 00:18:25
Print Post

Our new recruits have to do it to standards. We are not pressurised into getting a job done fast, we are instead pressurised to do it right and correctly on the first visit to stop repeat reports of problems, and to look after the customer experience. Gone of the days of quantity over quality.
For the moment, but it will change.

In the 1970s there were two company-wide edicts/policies in British Telecom, one after the other. (I forget which came first). They were mainly known by their acronyms. TQM, and RFT.

Total Quality Management, and Right First Time.

That was before the move from cost-centre management to profit-centre management.

Senior managements of course come and go, and all the lessons of the past are slowly forgotten. Then some bright sparks comes up with such obvious truths as that you make more profit by not having to do jobs three times or more. Convinces the Board and the cycle starts again.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 18:50:57
Print Post

You'd be much better if getting the correct bits and with the BT logo on them, I've used this seller before, I actually collected the item from his house smile

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/legremax/_i.html?_dmd=1&_nk...

And don't waste your time with the plastic punch down tool, get a proper one, they are cheap and well worth it.

Only wire it up so that one socket is in use for a data extension, if you wire all the sockets in and plug into any but the last your effectively created a bridge tap.

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 19:15:14
Print Post

The problem is I don't know which sockets connect to which. They must be daisychained since there are only 2 sets of cables on the master, 2 sets on each bedroom, 2 sets on one of the living room sockets and one set on the other living room socket. So I guess it seems to go anti clockwise around the flat, ending at that living room socket that only has 1 set of wires.

So I think I physically can't set the living room socket as the data one on it's own without it going through both bedrooms first. Unless I disconnect that final living room socket, which would make the other living room socket the final one, and thats the one I want to use! I have a plan! laugh The only thing I would have to figure out is which wires I disconnect from that living room socket that current has 2 pairs, I guess it is not obvious which is the incoming pair and which is the outgoing extension pair that I will want to disconnect (other than trial and error).

Although I don't know how much performance will be degraded by it running in a big circle around the flat? I gues could be none, or could be shitloads.

Edited by Ewok (Thu 12-Apr-18 19:17:39)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-18 19:38:41
Print Post

You know which is the in coming pair at the master, so leave them connected to the master socket, safely out the way.

Then it's a case of disconnecting all other wires at all the telephone sockets and make sure they are not touching each over, otherwise it will confuse the next stage

Then twist together the disconnected pair at the master, ignoring the orange ring wire. Go to another socket and using a continuity tester put it across the two same coloured wires you twisted together, if it make continuity you've just identified where the wire from the master socket goes to.

Rinse and repeat for all cables.

Meter with audible continuity testing http://amzn.eu/9iLd485

Make sure the meter is working by touching the probes together, it will beep when in continuity mode

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 13:45:54
Print Post

Is there any reason not to get the newer NTE5c?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Apr-18 14:00:09
Print Post

Only the official faceplate filter fits and some are saying that heavy vacuum use i.e. bashing into it can dislodge the clip-on faceplate

Also modern record keeping is probably better, so might raise more questions when they see 5C whereas an older version will be more normal.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-18 17:46:44
Print Post

I'd go with an NTE5A over an NTE5C any day of the week.
The newer NTE5C is a lower build quality in my opinion. It's not as aesthetically pleasing either.

I'd also go with an official OpenReach MK3 SSFP (service specific faceplate) for the NTE5A. It's the best performing SSFP I've used.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 17:51:19
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I ordered an NTE5a but have ordered this faceplate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NBZKN30...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:28:16
Print Post

That looks cheap and narsty.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Apr-18 19:36:29
Print Post

Probably fine for ADSL Max, but I wouldn't be particularly happy on ADSL2+, never mind FTTC. Very old hat, and I doubt if its internals have been upgraded.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74836/13693Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:26:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It hasn't shipped yet so I cancelled it. Will try to find a good one.

I am looking at this one now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-MK3-...

Edited by Ewok (Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:27)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:05
Print Post

You can't go wrong with an MK3
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Apr-18 22:50:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah gonna order that one, hope its not some fake chinese [censored]

Edited by Ewok (Sat 14-Apr-18 09:12:40)

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:13:03
Print Post

Ok my next problem will be how I connect to the router. wifi adds to much latency so powerline adaptors are my only option besides trying to run cat5 around the flat.

I have read they can interfere with vdsl and cause line errors. Unfortunately it seems the only way to know whether it will interfere or not in a particular property is to try it, which seems like a very expensive experiment if it does interfere and I then can't use them. I have seen they now go up to 2gbps, I am wondering whether the faster the speed, the more frequencies they use, and the more chance it will interfere with vdsl, or whether the speed will have no relation on whether they interfere or not? Speed shouldn't be an issue anyway, if it can hit over 150mb it will be plenty, it's the possible interference!

I also get the impression they are unreliable and frequently disconnect and/or need resetting?

Edited by Ewok (Sat 14-Apr-18 23:50:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-18 10:15:37
Print Post

Higher speed does mean more frequency bands in use.

Some cheaper ones don't carry notched frequencies to try and avoid broadband issues, best bet as they are a try and see tech, is pick up a pair of Devolo 500 plugs (£24.99 for two on Amazon https://amzn.to/2HCyggv ) and return if they don't work over the distance you need them to. Real world speeds on these slower ones should be in the 70 Mbps region but will depend on the distance and wiring.

Used to use them until I replaced them with CAT5e.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 11:53:30
Print Post

Are you not going to try and use the existing phone wiring as a data extension?

Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 12:46:25
Print Post

maybe at some point, but i need a benchmark best speed before i even think about that.

I doubt using existing wiring will provide very good results, given that it goes right around the flat in a big circle so it has to go via 3 different sockets to get to the one i will use.
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Apr-18 12:53:59
Print Post

ok so i definitely dont want the 1200mb+ ones then

the distance wont be that great as its only a 2 bed flat and the cupboard the modem and master socket will be in in is right in the middle of the flat, along with the fuse box. So I would expect it only has to go over maybe 20 or 30 metres of cable. I did see one site yesterday that did tests showing that powerline was actually worse for average latency and ping spikes vs 5ghz.

I am starting to think that by the time I have spend money on powerline adaptors, pcie wifi cards, and wifi dongles, I may as well have had BT just move the existing master socket to where I want it and be done with it! Which ultimately I may end up having to do anyway.

If both wifi and powerline endup a no go, I have 2 options, get BT to move the socket and run some cable around the skirtings, or stick the nte5a on it myself, (which I plan to do this week anyway), and run a cat5e along the skirting myself to the same location. Would it be better for performance to have them move the master by running cable, or leave the master and run cat5 myself?

Edited by Ewok (Sun 15-Apr-18 12:57:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to