General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(member) Mon 16-Apr-18 09:50:02
Print Post

FTTP ordered! - Previously a not spot!

[link to this post]

Some of you may remember various topics from me regarding being in a not-spot in Birmingham.

A brand new house on a brand new estate (built 2012). The builders requested voice only in a massive VM area.

No Virgin Media as the council wouldn't let them dig up the pavement. (Still waiting for the road to be adopted).

For a long time BT said FTTC wasn't commercially viable.

Talked to the MP and to BTs exec complaints team at various stages too.

I got moved onto a different cabinet due to technical issues and then recently found out my old cabinet is getting FTTC in Nov. The one I moved to isn't. D'oh!

Last night I checked the ADSl checker to find the whole street has been enabled for FTTP. Almost don't believe it.

Order placed for 200Mbps FTTP. OMG. OMG. OMG.

Thank you to all who've helped with advice on the not-spot and the technical issues with my line!

BT ADSL customer getting 4.2 Mbps (0.7 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
(Was circa 1.6 Mbps for the first 4 years)
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 21:19:07
Print Post

Re: FTTP ordered! - Previously a not spot!

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Thats awesome news!

Let us know how things go.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User max360
(learned) Tue 17-Apr-18 10:30:29
Print Post

Is FTTP only available for your newly built estate or is available/would be for the addresses covered by the cabinet 18?

ISP: JohnLewis BB: 5.25 Mb down - 0.85 Mb up. Ping: 28ms.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funding Privately (Community Partnership) (Paid the 50% deposit). Currently fundraising for the last 50%, not had any success yet. Website: http://www.stechford.online/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User B31
(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 14:33:58
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

FTTP doesn't depend on a cabinet, so it might be a wider area, I've not checked other roads though.

Probably best to use BT's DSL checker and see if it says "WBC FTTP" in the table (not FTTP on demand as that costs a lot more to install!)

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

Best to use a phone number if possible, or if not, address and house number.

Alternatively you can use the openreach checker here

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

BT ADSL customer getting 4.2 Mbps (0.7 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
Standard User B31
(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 14:34:35
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

They've cancelled my appointment today (24 hours after booking) as apparently a survey is needed.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-18 15:44:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by B31:
They've cancelled my appointment today (24 hours after booking) as apparently a survey is needed.

That might be to see what is there or not, our FTTP hardware installed back in 2011 - 2012 and we were only able to order FTTP Sep - Nov 2016, but I recall somebody coming out to do a survey or something along those lines.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User B31
(member) Wed 06-Jun-18 19:18:59
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Not going very well so far.

Apparently there is a collapsed duct - I think crossing our road - so they canít route the fibre tubes to this side of the road.

Theyíre having trouble getting permission to dig, guessing the council arenít letting them dig up the road - like they did when VM wanted to offer us services (or at least with an unreasonable request to ask VM to resurface the entire pavement width after digging up an already messy pavement!)

Iím back to the MP to see if they can get the council and BT talking to each other!

Iím also fuming that I am paying for a fibre service now, but canít take it up. BT have said theyíll refund the difference when Iím connected - not overly happy about that, who knows when this situation will end.

Iíve also opened a complaint with BT due to all the communication and other such issues, including openreach turning up yesterday to install broadband despite the fact the appointment had been cancelled!

Shame I wasnít in, as Iíd say if you can find a way to get me fibre, Iíll buy you a crate of beer (or other such bribe) (half joking!)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-18 19:46:26
Print Post

Not going very well so far.

Well that sucks frown

Apparently there is a collapsed duct - I think crossing our road - so they canít route the fibre tubes to this side of the road.

Theyíre having trouble getting permission to dig, guessing the council arenít letting them dig up the road - like they did when VM wanted to offer us services (or at least with an unreasonable request to ask VM to resurface the entire pavement width after digging up an already messy pavement!)

You would of thought BT would of been able to dig up the road for a collapsed duct, suppose lines were damaged due to the collapsed duct, leaving homes without phone lines, suppose there was an emergency?

Iím back to the MP to see if they can get the council and BT talking to each other!

Hopefully they can help, mention to them the fact that the duct has collapsed and "could" damage phone lines in the future leaving homes without phone lines.

Iím also fuming that I am paying for a fibre service now, but canít take it up. BT have said theyíll refund the difference when Iím connected - not overly happy about that, who knows when this situation will end.

Iíve also opened a complaint with BT due to all the communication and other such issues, including openreach turning up yesterday to install broadband despite the fact the appointment had been cancelled!

This I wouldn't accept, I would say "No, you can credit the money back as soo as you take it out", this would normally be the following month, so next month would show credit for this month.
We was charged for 3 months for FTTP, even before it was even installed, I made a fuss about it and they credited it all in full within the next monthly bill.

You really need to be firm when you speak to BT, but at the same time be polite.

Shame I wasnít in, as Iíd say if you can find a way to get me fibre, Iíll buy you a crate of beer (or other such bribe) (half joking!)

LOL

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User B31
(member) Wed 06-Jun-18 19:53:37
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yeah I was wondering what would happen if an existing line was damaged, certainly something to raise with the MP.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jun-18 20:06:07
Print Post

Yeah I was wondering what would happen if an existing line was damaged, certainly something to raise with the MP.

What you also need to realise is BT's left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing which can and does cause issues.

You just need to be persistent and keep on at them to get things done.
If I gave up on the first hurdle with BT I wouldn't have FTTP and I certainly wouldn't have Ultrafast 2.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to