General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User roundrobin
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-18 07:05:24
Print Post

ISP now offering 1000Mbps FTTP and FTTPoD

[link to this post]

Long time lurker in here but noticed this this morning. It seems like Spectrum Internet are offering the higher speeds now.

FTTP pricing
500Mbps/165Mbps: £69 first 6 months and £99 last 6 months
1000Mbps/220Mbps: £99 first 6 months and £159 last 6 months

FTTPoD pricing
500Mbps/165Mbps: £89 first 6 months and £129 last 6 months
1000Mbps/250Mbps: £129 first 6 months and £199 last 6 months

There's a higher activation charge compared to the more standard offerings but that's also in Openreach's price list anyway. I wonder will Cerberus etc start to offer this soon.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 19-Apr-18 16:42:21
Print Post

Re: ISP now offering 1000Mbps FTTP and FTTPoD

[re: roundrobin] [link to this post]

They have offered this for some time now, and has been discussed before.
Is it definitely over the OpenReach network?
Standard User roundrobin
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-18 19:02:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah apparently so : "As Openreach will conduct a survey so there may be installation costs to deliver this service. Don’t worry, if you sign up for a package today, we’ll speak to you and explain all this before you have to commit to going ahead"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Apr-18 19:10:26
Print Post

Before people get too excited, Spectrum's FTTP/FoD services do NOT run over the Openreach/BT Wholesale network. They are only offered to those whose exchange has been LLU'd by Spectrum, which is just a handful of exchanges in South Wales/SW England.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Apr-18 19:18:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by roundrobin:
Yeah apparently so : "As Openreach will conduct a survey so there may be installation costs to deliver this service. Don’t worry, if you sign up for a package today, we’ll speak to you and explain all this before you have to commit to going ahead"

They might be using Openreach fibre for the exchange <> home part, but from the exchange and beyond they use their own backhaul network. Hence why they they don't offer the service to anyone outside their network area.

At present its just Cerberus, a few Cerberus resellers and FluidOne selling FoD nationwide.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 19-Apr-18 19:20:31)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 13:22:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

And A&A, though they don't advertise it...

https://www.revk.uk/2018/03/ongoing-broadband-stuff....

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 20-Apr-18 15:10:39
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I noticed this last week. FTTPod would be capped at 160Mb as they don't do any higher than that over OpenReach FTTx.
G.Fast will also be be limited to 160Mb.
FTTP on demand

This is still a thing, it has changed a bit, but it is still a nightmare. If you want FTTPoD, email sales, we'll do a quote, and see if you run away screaming. We have had people put in Ethernet (dedicated fire link) circuits instead because they are cheaper and quicker (and not contended). The costs are silly, and so are the lead times, and there is even a fee to find out what the cost is even if you say no. So we are not saying we won't do these, just that it makes little sense. For now, if you do want to go ahead, we'll be capping to 160Mb/s but may increase that as we allow higher speed links on our networks over time. But seriously, if you have more money than sense, as some people I know do, consider an Ethernet fibre instead, at least for now. Over time this will change, I am sure, so watch this space.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 20-Apr-18 22:55:38
Print Post

RevK says it how it is, I am glad I am not the only one who thinks the quoted prices at least in some cases are lunacy, there is something wrong if a uncontended fibre link is cheaper.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-18 08:34:24
Print Post

The strange thing is AAISP were selling the 330/30 Mbps tier on FoD back in 2014/2015, albeit on a trial/pilot basis and that was when FoD availability was a lot less:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4403300-my-ft...

AAISP really need to move with the times and start offering the higher >200 Mbps speeds on FTTP/FoD, just like other niche providers such as Zen, IDNet have been doing for a while now.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-18 09:02:30
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Before people get too excited, Spectrum's FTTP/FoD services do NOT run over the Openreach/BT Wholesale network. They are only offered to those whose exchange has been LLU'd by Spectrum, which is just a handful of exchanges in South Wales/SW England.

What are you on about? Of course it runs over the Openreach network. I haven’t seen Spectrum digging ducts to everyone’s house so how on earth do you think it works?

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to