General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-18 19:24:51
Print Post

Bad wiring? odd speeds

[link to this post]

Just moved into a new flat and finally got connected to FTTC today. I am using a HG612 (but also have a Zyxel B10a). I replaced the old master socket which was not even an NTE5 so previous owner had filters in all 5 phone sockets (which were wired in sequence, clockwise around the flat from the master and still had the bell wire attached).

So I wired up a new NTE5 with mk3 faceplate and left all the extensions disconnected, so I have a single master socket with a single phone. I am having bad sync speeds and some odd problems. My predicted speeds were I think 49 to 69 down and 17 up. I am now syncing at 48 down and 17 up.

I had problems getting connected at all initially, when I did get connected, I was getting about 42mb down and syncing at 45mb, , but <2mb up, despite the 17mb upstream sync speed!! I thought I would whip the faceplate off and try the test socket using a filter. Couldnt even connect. Then I thought I would try unplugging the phone, so I did that and plugged the rj11 back into the top/front of the faceplate. My sync speed went from 45 to 48 and my uploads are now 17mb. So the phone seemed to be screwing over the upload speed a LOT, and having a small impact on downstream too.

I don't know If I have done something wrong when wiring the NTE5/mk3, there are only 2 wires being used, attached at A/B on the back of the NTE5. From the upstream speeds, I believe it would suggest I should be able to get close to my max predicted down speed of 69mb since the upstream is hitting the max predicted speed, I would asume downstream should be capable of it as well then. So I am guessing something is screwing with it.

My line stats from the HG612 after about an hour seem to show a fair few errors on downstream and zero on upstream, I don't know if this many errors is normal or high. Upstream is showing zero errors!

line stats
socket
faceplate
connection on back of NTE5

Have I done something stupid with the wiring or is there some other issue here causing a low sync, errors, and the problem when the phone is plugged in?
Standard User troublegum
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 20:46:21
Print Post

Re: Bad wiring? odd speeds

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

Those wires don't like they have been terminated on the A and B using the correct tool for a start. If they had been, the ends would have been neatly cut off.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Apr-18 22:11:09
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

The images won’t open for me ??

To the OP, do you actually have a dialling tone on the socket ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Fri 20-Apr-18 23:15:11
Print Post

[re: Ewok] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ewok:
My line stats from the HG612 after about an hour seem to show a fair few errors on downstream and zero on upstream, I don't know if this many errors is normal or high. Upstream is showing zero errors!

line stats
The values displayed on that GUI page are wrong. Do not take any notice of them.

You need to login to the CLI by either ssh or telnet and look at the values returned by --

xdslcmd info --stats

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-18 05:31:25
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:
Those wires don't like they have been terminated on the A and B using the correct tool for a start. If they had been, the ends would have been neatly cut off.

It looks fine, as for the tools, I have loads of them, some of which have built in cutters, some that don't and some with broken cutters.

Looking at the wires it seems that one of the wires might of been a tad bit too far back when the wires was "possibly" cut, but just guessing here.

But as long as they OP didn't use a screwdriver to push the wires in and that the two connections are nice and tight it "should" be ok.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-18 05:38:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The images won’t open for me ??

To the OP, do you actually have a dialling tone on the socket ?

They opened for me and I can see there is no extension wired up and the wires connected to the back (main A B terminals) face plate looks fine to me.

I think the OP just needs to sit and wait for the system to notice its ok and reset.

Saying that, there were error listed in the stats, I won't go on to say I understand them, but I think they are correctable errors so it might be fine, but don't quote me.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Ewok
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Apr-18 08:33:44
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Ok did a telnet version

telnet stats

Also got some stats from HG612_modem_stats app which seems ot say interleaving is on, although I gather it screws with pings, and my pings are 7-8ms so I am not sure this stats app is correct. ronski stats

I do get a dialling tone on the socket and having just plugged the phone back in, it doesn't seem to have screwed with the upload speed this time so not sure what went on before.

The upload tests seem to yo-yo a lot, not sure if that is normal, it bounces a lot between about 13 and 17. The download test is very smooth and consistent. Not had FTTC before so perhaps that is normal. speed test

I did insert the wires with a plastic punchdown tool, I do have a really old krone but the cutter on it is pretty blunt i think so gave up trying to use that one.

Perhaps the line needs time to recover from the previous owner who had the bellwire connected, no NTE5, and filters on every socket. However that was a year ago, the flat has been empty since then so I guess it would have reset itself long before now.

I have just tried the ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A and only got sync of 45.6mb and 17.0. The HG612 gives 48.3 and 17.77. Also couldnt get a wan connection on the ZyXel, no idea why but my AC86U just keeps repeating "Timeout waiting for PADO packets". Tried unplugging the lan cables a couple of times but nothing I do seems to let the asus connect via the ZyXel. The Zyxel is in bridge mode. Doesn't matter anyway. I got the Zyxel hoping it would sync a bit higher than the HG but instead get 3mb less so the Zyxel will have to go back.

Edited by Ewok (Sat 21-Apr-18 11:33:01)

Print Thread

Jump to