General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 08:27:39
Print Post

FTTP Community Scheme

[link to this post]

A friend lives on a road of 20+ houses in London but has terrible broadband so I referred him to the BT community scheme and he has now received quotes for a full FTTP deployment. The first quote is for the ‘core’ community which is just his road and the second is for four times as many houses but at only twice the cost (so half the cost per house/flat). I am now helping him think through how to get people to sign-up. A key issue is whether there is a free rider problem - if people do not sign-up at this stage and therefore do do not contribute to the community scheme setup costs, can they order FTTP shortly after the work is done for the standard FTTP price, in which case they would be disincentivised from signing up in the first place?

Thank you
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 09:03:16
Print Post

Re: FTTP Community Scheme

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

He'd probably have to check with BT on conditions for ordering.

One thing is to be clear that if they don't have a high enough sign up then no-one will get it.
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 10:26:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Presumably this is an issue on every community build? Is there no standard approach to address the concern?

He could get everyone on the road signed-up but it probably only makes sense to contact the remaining 90 or so houses if there is a very clear incentive for them to sign-up and not just benefit from others paying the setup costs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-18 10:36:56
Print Post

Standard approach is to take the community based approach, i.e. for those contributing they do so in the knowledge that they will benefit and if too many try to freeload then the project will not go ahead.

If the local feeling is already that those contributing do not want others to benefit, then probably best to not go down the community route as seems people want only those paying now to benefit, so a bespoke commercial build might be better.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 10:48:44
Print Post

They can always make it a condition that unless everyone signs up and agrees to pay that they won't progress it - but that could well just be biting off their nose to spite their face. In the end if some really want it then they may have to put up with the fact that others may benefit even if they don't chip in - from BT's perspective it would be silly for them to refuse providing services to people that they can as it would just impact on their profits.

Alternative is just to sit back and wait and see if BT do anything themselves but that could be a long wait.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-18 11:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There really should be a proper clawback clause for the residents, but OR won't undertake such a thing in a million years. Whats worse atm is the proposed pstn to full ip by 2025...

OR should be really looking at full fttp/g.fast by then and cease new vdsl cabs from next year .
Standard User bluemoon87
(regular) Tue 24-Apr-18 18:15:33
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

I'm not really sure how clawback would actually work with the Community Fibre Partnerships. My understanding is that they are already subsidised, so would think that if they were to do some form of clawback then they would likely quote a larger figure upfront and end up at the same amount if everyone were to order.

Having spent time trying to gain momentum with the community partnership for FTTP on a small number of houses (34) I found it incredibly difficult to get off the ground especially where there are a lot of Sky customers unwilling to move.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Apr-18 19:28:44
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

I'm not really sure how clawback would actually work with the Community Fibre Partnerships.
It could work in exactly the same way as it did for BDUK as for both BDUK and Community Funded projects the additional funding is to fill the gap between what BT would be prepared to invest based on its own commercial criteria and the actual cost of installation.

For BDUK funded projects following installation when actual take up can be seen BT reassess what level of commercial investment would have been justified and refunds any overpayment to the relevant BDUK authority. There is no reason why community funded installations could not be treated similarly although I suspect this has rarely or ever been the case.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Apr-18 20:00:32
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluemoon87:
Having spent time trying to gain momentum with the community partnership for FTTP on a small number of houses (34) I found it incredibly difficult to get off the ground especially where there are a lot of Sky customers unwilling to move.

Where I live it was difficult to get 30% to sign up when the alternative was sub 2Mbps ADSL. Took about 9 months and was achieved by people with good sales skills.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Apr-18 09:39:25
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

PSTN to full IP is about the exchange kit retiring and going full VoIP

NOT ripping out all the copper or forcing all homes to have a xDSL/GPON device

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to