General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:15:22
Print Post

Just moved from Plusnet to NOW

[link to this post]

This week I moved from Plusnet 38Mbps, after 18 months , to NOW Broadband 38Mbps. With Plusnet my speed was 32+Mbps with NOW it is 25Mbps. Here are two screen grabs of speedtests. The first one is for Plusnet taken about an hour before it switched to NOW:

https://s17.postimg.cc/l71q42nbz/Plus.png

This second one was taken about two hours after NOW went live:

https://s17.postimg.cc/z200m4hmn/NOW.png

This is a similar speeds to those that I ended up getting from TalkTalk. The TT speeds started off great, but after about nine months started to drop off ending up at the sort of speed I am getting now from NOW.
Before I moved to TT I was with Plusnet,too and speeds were consistently in the 30s
And, likewise, before I moved to NOW the Plusnet speeds were consitently in the 30s

NOW are looking into this as the estimated speed they gave me at sign up was 31-40Mbps, they have said that I would be within my rights to leave.

My main reason for posting is to ask if there is any technical reason why leaving the BT supplied fibre would cause the speed drop?

With Plusnet speeds in the 30s moved to TT speed went down to 25 moved back to Plusnet speed went straight back up into the 30s moved to NOW back to 25. Looks like a pattern?
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:17:41
Print Post

Re: Just moved from Plusnet to NOW

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

What are your VDSL2 connection stats from the router?
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:28:58
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

NOW have said that the can see that max throughput is 26Mb.

Connection Speed 26697 kbps 6783 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 6.6 dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:40:21
Print Post

did you ever take a note of the stats from PlusNet?
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-18 16:51:53
Print Post

I had a similar experience when I moved from PN to IDNet. Dropped from 67 to 54. Lasted for over six months. Then one Saturday I kicked off a massive (multi-GB) upload and my connection dropped after 15 minutes. Very unusual as it has never dropped before or since except in the early hours. When it came back (which required me to power cycle the modem and it was off for a couple of hours because I was out playing golf) I had my old full speed back. That was several months ago (I posted about it here) and I still have my original proper speed.

Make of that what you will :-/

My own theory is that somehow I ended up with some system thinking I was on 55/10 (although I still had my 20Mb/s upload speed). The massive upload triggered the system into wondering how I was managing that speed when I was supposed to be limited to 10Mb/s and it kicked me off and reset itself. When I finally reconnected I was assigned the correct profile.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 26-Apr-18 16:55:36)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:23:30
Print Post

I think the port gets reset when you move providers, it might just be that Retransmission hasnít been turned on but was turned on previously. DLM might decide to do that if itís own accord.

You wouldnít have actually moved to a different port in the fibre cabinet though.

Icaras
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 17:27:53
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

+1 to the benefits from the DLM system improvements have been lost and should come back in time if the NOW TV router is behaving

How long? Could be a couple of days, weeks or months

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-18 18:13:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.
As I have said, I posted on the NOW Broadband forum yesterday and they have said that they will run some tests and send them off to their Network Team. Hopefully they will pick up on the DLM/Retransmission thing. If so, would they be able to do anything? Would it be within NOW-SKY's powers to put it right?

Edited by Sir_Jasper (Thu 26-Apr-18 18:14:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 18:36:52
Print Post

DLM can only be reset.

One other possibility is that of the three DLM profiles NOW TV is using the stable one, whereas PlusNet may have been using the fast i.e. maximise speed

The differences control at what error rates the DLM does various things, DLM usually makes its mind up to a reasonable level of certainty within a couple of days

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(regular) Sat 28-Apr-18 13:15:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

An update on previous post.
Yesterday I noticed that the router stats had changed - the throughput had gone up:

.......................... Downstream/Upstream
Connection Speed 30682 kbps 6678 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.7 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.6 dB 6.6 dB

This increase did not show in any speed test for about 12 hours - then speed tests showed an increase in speed of 4Mbps - showing 29Mbps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to