General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hanxu
(member) Mon 14-May-18 14:18:42
Print Post

Ultrafast 2 (G.Fast) activated but speed is far from estimat

[link to this post]

Hey,

Long time lurker here, I have just had my Ultrafast 2 (G.Fast) enabled the past 2 weeks. And the speed is far from quoted.

When I was making an order, the speed quoted was 314 down and 45 up, but I am only able to get 267 up and 37 down (on a good day), I know for a lot of people this is plenty of speed, but I would like to get what I've paid for, do you think there might be a fault on my line? Or it's just how G.Fast works, and BT can't give a accurate estimation?

Thanks,

edit: change up and down

Edited by hanxu (Mon 14-May-18 14:55:30)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-18 14:34:00
Print Post

Re: Ultrafast 2 (G.Fast) activated but speed is far from est

[re: hanxu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hanxu:
Hey,

Long time lurker here, I have just had my Ultrafast 2 (G.Fast) enabled the past 2 weeks. And the speed is far from quoted.

When I was making an order, the speed quoted was 314 up and 45 down, but I am only able to get 267 up and 37 down (on a good day), I know for a lot of people this is plenty of speed, but I would like to get what I've paid for, do you think there might be a fault on my line? Or it's just how G.Fast works, and BT can't give a accurate estimation?

Thanks,

Well if its over copper, you must be close to your cabinet and it would be an estimated speed due to the length and quality of copper cable.
If its over FTTP then you should get around what they said, especially in the early hours up to 3pm.

I got >> THIS << early this morning which has been the highest I have got so far, but it does drop a fair bit in the evening.

Also you got your upload and download speed the wrong way round.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 14-May-18 14:43:21)

Standard User gigaplant
(newbie) Mon 14-May-18 14:39:45
Print Post

GFast is still based off copper so expect speeds to be less than advertised, the distance to speed ratio is far steeper with GFast with speeds quickly diminishing around 500m also the speeds you are getting are extremely good for GFast and is well within the expected range, Iíd say itís amongst the best, in all honestly if youíre complaining about those speeds then you donít deserve GFast tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-May-18 15:22:26
Print Post

Is the 267 Mbps down the result of a speed test? Since with all the overheads it may be you are connecting at a lot closer to the 300 Mbps mark.

314 Mbps down is pretty much the advertised speed, what is the range of G.fast speeds given by
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

G.fast is new, so you have the usual distance drop off issues and being so new the accuracy of estimates is a lot less certain.

The is the option to downgrade to Ultrafast 1 if you are unhappy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ansam
(member) Fri 25-May-18 09:57:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I would be pretty happy with that speed. Now only if they would activate my G.Fast pod.

Connection - BT Infinity 2.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User hanxu
(member) Fri 25-May-18 22:19:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nah speed test is around 220. I am convinced itís my building wiring. I will just wait and see.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-May-18 08:24:24
Print Post

You need to update the speed test in your signature, it's rather out of date.

Standard User hanxu
(member) Sat 26-May-18 21:16:14
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Done

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-18 06:21:25
Print Post

I think you mention you are in flats, the g.fast estimate will be made to copper DP
which is doubtless lurking in a cupboard in the basement or ground floor, some way from your flat. If the current estimated max range from the DSLAM is around 300m then an additional 30m from the DP is going to have a pronounced affect.

The internal wiring from them DP to your NTE may well surprisingly long, also might be running in conduits and risers alongside power cables and other lines carrying DSL signals ... basically not the ideal environment for a stupidly fussy hi speed service. It is what it is ....

Standard User hanxu
(member) Tue 29-May-18 00:30:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. It's not too bad at all, I mean, most sites/downloads can't even achieve the speed I have now.

Edited by hanxu (Tue 29-May-18 00:30:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to