General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Tue 15-May-18 20:10:04
Print Post

Over-optimism? (FTTP)

[link to this post]

Openreach have just scheduled duct clearing work for spine cabling works for around 10 days in my and the surrounding roads (most of which are cul-de-sacs). As per the attached it refers to two PON numbers and PCP11. Now I'm not served by PCP11 and neither are the majority of roads on which the works are scheduled, which instead are served from PCP12 (& we already have FTTC, I get around 60Mbps). PCP11 appears to serve the business park and they don't yet have fibre.

With my pessimistic hat on, I expect therefore the work is to provide fibre to the business park and in reality they won't need to come into the majority of these roads (PCPs 11 and 12 are located next to each other, with PCP 11s VDSL2 cabinet, in the entrance to the business park).

Do you think there any glimmer of hope to get excited that they may have decided to roll out FTTP to the entire neighbourhood served by both PCPs 11 and 12, or more likely a mistake/precaution of scheduling works all the way around the whole area served by the cabs? I've just not seen such a scale of duct cleaning scheduled before, it's normally along a route from exchange to cab.

The areas served by PCP12 are 1990s new-builds with underground ducts to each property.

Roadworks.org map:
https://fibre.everestpark.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/...

Sample works detail:
https://fibre.everestpark.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/...

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-May-18 22:54:04
Print Post

Re: Over-optimism? (FTTP)

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Most likely just the business park

The PON fibre network will be being extended from the aggregation node which is probably not located near to PCP 11 (they serve up to 1400 premises) so clearing duct back to the aggregation node may be needed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-May-18 09:40:03
Print Post

It would be nice if they did provide service to that business park. I deal with a company there and hear how frustrating their slow connections are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User olicuk
(regular) Wed 16-May-18 10:17:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The Openreach Home and Work site does say FTTP is coming to the business park so it looks like they will finally be getting it. Just odd all these roadworks listed down roads that would have nothing to do with cabling routes to the business park...! If OR were really on a grand FTTP rollout it would be expected but I've not seen any sign of that. By 2050 maybe?!

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 16-May-18 10:53:48
Print Post

olicuk

Do you know if the housing estate was originally served by TPON for the voice?

If so it could be a clear out of the original fibre from the TPON DPs ( usually one per close) back to the first TPON splitter. The fibre from that to the exchange could then be used for providing FTTP to the business park. It would also give the duct space to get to the business park as they may be full due to the copper that was laid to replace the TPON.

Just one possible explanation for the unusual work.
  Print Thread

Jump to