General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-18 12:47:14
Print Post

Openreach FTTP ONT question 2

[link to this post]

One site I manage has now got FTTP up and running and it's the ONT with four RJ45 ports.

Would I be right in thinking that if it was necessary in the future to add a second FTTP connection (possibly from a different ISP) that it could just be squirted out of one of the currently unused RJ45 ports and that the ONT will support four simultaneous FTTP services?

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 18-May-18 13:05:00
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP ONT question 2

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Yes.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-18 13:08:43
Print Post

In theory, yes, that particular ONTE could provide four separate broadband services and two ATA voice ports....

Never seen it done like this in anger/practice

There was a poster on here who claimed he had two ports in use as some form of trial

The new ONTís are single port, so looks like it wonít happen for now.

Installed a second FTTP service to a residential property a while back, one business one res, and queried it, but was told no, fit a second ONT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-18 17:10:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In theory, yes, that particular ONTE could provide four separate broadband services and two ATA voice ports....

Never seen it done like this in anger/practice

There was a poster on here who claimed he had two ports in use as some form of trial

The new ONTís are single port, so looks like it wonít happen for now.

Installed a second FTTP service to a residential property a while back, one business one res, and queried it, but was told no, fit a second ONT.

Oh, well when I was resolving the issue in upgrading to Ultrafast 2 I got chatting to them asking when Business connections will support the ~300Mbps speeds without the need for leased line.

Basically I was after a static IP due to I hate having the IP change while I am remotely connected to a server with several files open to then have the connection dropped and the files kept open resulting in lost data.

This was when I was told where I have a 4 port ONT I "could" just get 4 Premium Infinity connections or to save money get 4 Unlimited Infinity connections and then get equipment to bond them together to get 320Mbps down and 80Mbps up and that I don't require a phone line for any of them.

I was like yeah and a 4x monthly bill.

So BT are still possibly supporting the 4 ports on the old ONT, but there is nothing stopping them from setting up the 4 packages and then have the hardware just feed the combined speed of ~320Mbps (down) and ~80Mbps (up) and just using the one port for simplicity.

But you cannot always trust what you get told sometimes.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User candlerb
(regular) Fri 18-May-18 18:22:24
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Is the 330/50 service available in your area? Seems to make much more sense than bonding a bunch of slower services.
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Fri 18-May-18 18:34:26
Print Post

I've got a 4 port ONT, with BT on port 1 and Zen on port 2 smile

https://ibb.co/mmBHMT

Here's my original thread where I asked a similar question. It's been over a year and (touch wood) not had a single drop out (that I've noticed)

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile

Edited by fredfox (Fri 18-May-18 18:42:48)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-18 18:37:39
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Is the 330/50 service available in your area? Seems to make much more sense than bonding a bunch of slower services.

Yeah, I am on it now.

I just really wanted a Static IP so that I don't get caught out when the connection drops to reissue a new IP.

And that BT only provide Static IP's with their business connections, sadly their business connections have a gap in speeds between 80Mbps and the 10Gbps Leased Line, so there is no 330 product for business connections.

And I didn't want to drop down to 80Mbps Speeds just to get a Static IP, and getting 4x80Mbps connections bonded was BT's answer to it.

So I stuck with Ultrafast 2 with no Static IP and now when I am doing stuff remotely I open the files change what's needed and then save and close the files, sure its extra steps, but its doable.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 18-May-18 18:51:46)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-May-18 18:56:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Did you then have to install a 2nd fibre, or is there a way to make use of the existing fibre?

Michael Chare
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-18 19:09:20
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

Did you then have to install a 2nd fibre, or is there a way to make use of the existing fibre?

I assume it would be another cable due to the premade cable I would assume would only have the single fibre cable in it.

But depending on how it sends and receives the data at both ends, surely they could have it send and receive for both connections, that way only a single fibre and single port ONT would be needed.

Not too sure how the router side of things would work, but it should work due to its only routing 2 gateways, as well as needing faster throughput.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 18-May-18 19:15:37)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-18 20:16:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

A second lead in cable, between the CSP and ONT, yes ....

Blown fibre up to the CSP is four fibres already,

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to