General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Tue 22-May-18 12:26:16
Print Post

Wait for BT FTTP or move to Virgin Media 350 service?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently have BT Infinity 1 as there is no point in getting BT Infinity 2 as my maximum theoretical speed is 44Mbps - I get around 40Mbps on a good day.

I would like to increase my download speed but there doesn't seem to be any options to do so with BT, i.e. I can't get their Ultrafast service, FTTP or FoD.

Virgin Media has just been installed into my street should I move to their 350Mbps service or wait for BT, and how long is it going to take BT to rollout FTTP nationally?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-May-18 12:45:39
Print Post

Re: Wait for BT FTTP or move to Virgin Media 350 service?

[re: adrian109] [link to this post]

Do you think you will be in the lucky 3 million by end of 2020?

In short unless checker actually says FTTP is on the way if you want more speed then a switch may be needed. NOTE: Recommend you overlap the two connections so you can look at latency, page loading experience and decide if you stay

i.e. Virgin 350 is not always faster for every activity, if you are a Steam sale addict then the extra speed is great, but the downside can be more latency variability for gaming.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-May-18 13:28:38
Print Post

You'll be a very long time waiting for BT FTTP, unless extremely lucky which is very unlikely.

I have just switched to Virgin as it recently became available, I don't game so can't comment on that side of things but otherwise its been great.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-May-18 15:26:12
Print Post

If you can get Virgin, i'd recommend from my experiences, although its all down to the area.

My signature has my speeds and BQM

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Tue 22-May-18 22:32:05
Print Post

I have the 350Mb service from VM, I use the SH3 in modem mode connected to my own router, all speedtest sites show 380+Mb/s down and 21Mb/s up except the TBB one, there's thread discussing that here in the Virgin Media section.
If you game or any of the BB users game then I suggest you read this thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/... on VM's own forum, currently at 392 pages at time of posting.
I'm not trying to give out any advice or opinion just that you research first as recommended with anything to make sure its suitable for you and your needs.
Also as suggested i would make sure you have an overlap period as VM can vary greatly from area to area, my son had the service in my area before me so he was the guinea pig.
Previously I was with Sky 40/10 service and just moved to VM as they gave me a better bundle for TV/Phone and BB after my Sky discount expired.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Thu 24-May-18 04:55:31
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
If you can get Virgin, i'd recommend from my experiences, although its all down to the area.

My signature has my speeds and BQM

with them pings been so flat i assume your using your own router with the SH3 in modem mode, as mine is a mess (that intel CPU bug in the router)
me BQM link
just ordered a ASUS RT-66U_B2 as you can run custom firmware on that (Asuswrt-Merlin at the moment)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-May-18 10:07:02
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

I use mine in modem mode, and it was also a mess until a firmware update recently. I think it just handles ping requests differently, as the underlying hardware issue can't be fixed by a firmware update.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-May-18 10:25:43
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

I'm using the SH3 as a router, with the latest firmware which came bout a week ago

Standard User cje85
(newbie) Thu 24-May-18 10:57:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I use mine in modem mode, and it was also a mess until a firmware update recently. I think it just handles ping requests differently, as the underlying hardware issue can't be fixed by a firmware update.

That was the original belief, but extensive testing has been done by members of VM's forum which has shown a real improvement on gaming and other latency sensitive applications. It seems to be more than just a cosmetic fix to make BQM graphs look better, which is what people were led to believe would happen.

There's a lot of discussion about the new firmware and test results from this page onwards:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/...
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-May-18 12:52:55
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

I've noticed a difference, more so with the latest patch (there has been 2 updates since the original fix), the last one has really lowered pings and made it a lot more stable.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to