General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 25-May-18 10:32:49
Print Post

G.INP just enabled on upstream?!

[link to this post]

Hi,

I noticed that my line re-synced at around 3.30am, which with my current line problems isn't that uncommon. However, upstream SNRM is at around 7dB (usually between 5 and 6dB) and I'm getting fully line rate on the upstream too, which is getting more usual but still not quite the norm. After a bit of poking around, I've just twigged that G.INP has been enabled on the upstream. My understanding was that OR had disabled G.INP on the upstream due to incompatibility with some modems?! So have they solved that now?

After all the aggro I've had with my line over the last 2 months, this was a very pleasant surprise.

Paul

ISP: IDNet
Service: FTTC Unlimited (55/10)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL
Attenuation: 21.7
Current sync: 55000/ 9875
G.INP: Enabled
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 25-May-18 10:54:52
Print Post

Re: G.INP just enabled on upstream?!

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

I saw the same thing on my line last year, and posted a very similar thread:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4531982-gin...

It didnít last; after a week of stability the upstream G.INP was removed and I dropped a little throughput. Iíd have preferred it to remain in-place.

-==-
DougM
Standard User youngsyp
(committed) Fri 25-May-18 11:08:13
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

J0hn83's explanation, from your linked thread as to why it is activated kind of fits with my situation. I've got what appears to be an intermittent HR fault with my line, so it's quite unstable (in the grand scheme of things) and there have been high numbers of errors coming through for a 2 month period or so.

You mention a drop in throughput when it was deactivated again - my downstream throughput seems to have dropped by circa 2Mb/s and the upstream throughput is roughly the same as before, despite sync being 3-400kb/s higher up. Apparent latency is also up from around 10ms to 15ms, according to my measure.

Paul

ISP: IDNet
Service: FTTC Unlimited (55/10)
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL
Attenuation: 21.7
Current sync: 55000/ 9875
G.INP: Enabled

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 25-May-18 11:18:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 25-May-18 13:15:27
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

You are correct about them removing G.INP/Retransmission on the upstream due to certain modems not supporting it.

The current setup for Huawei cabinets is Retransmission is on by default on the downstream only. If ES are high enough on the upstream retransmission will be applied.
If the line becomes stable again and the ES numbers drop then retransmission is removed again.

There are a number of users with noisy line that always have retransmission on the upstream, but that's not the norm. The chances are it will only last a few days on your line. It's a real shame as the week I had it on the upstream my upstream has never been so good.

When ECI finally fix retransmission/G.INP it will always be downstream only. The equipment only supports it on the downstream.
  Print Thread

Jump to