General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-18 13:37:09
Print Post

Fibre Speed question after OR line repair.

[link to this post]

Recently I had a noisy line which was repaired by OpenReach. Initially I was told by the engineer who called that he had swapped my connection/cable on the exchange side to a new cable pair. That didn't cure the fault but later a fault was found at the exchange.

Before the noisy line and always when i checked the Plusnet router it synced at 79.98/20 and had a throughput of around 75-77Mbps.

Since the line repair the Router did alter line speed a few times I guess in the initial 24/48 hr period. Since then it's remained stable at a Sync value of between 76-77Mbps. For instance a reboot last night gave these sync values 77.07/19.98Mbps and my throughput from Plusnet according to the TBB speed test is between 70 - 75Mbps where prior to the line fault it was generally higher than that.

Now before people think I'm being a greedy idiot as speeds are still excellent, I'm just interested as to what has likely changed. Could it be something to do with the line management system that may have automatically enabled a stability setting for instance?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-May-18 14:35:46
Print Post

Re: Fibre Speed question after OR line repair.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Could be that DLM has been reset and gains from low margin or G.INP have been lost until DLM decides it can switch them back on

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-18 18:11:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Could be that DLM has been reset and gains from low margin or G.INP have been lost until DLM decides it can switch them back on

I did read that G.INP wasn't fully supported on BT's home hub 5a and I thought that Plusnet Hub one was of the same or similar build?

So how long would it take Andrew on average before the DLM decides that certain conditions are met so things like G.INP can be switched on?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-May-18 18:49:01
Print Post

How long is the piece of string that I have in my shed?

Could be a week, could be a month or more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-18 21:17:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How long is the piece of string that I have in my shed?

Could be a week, could be a month or more

Obviously it's not random, but I assume there are a number of criteria that have to be met for certain Fibre Features to be enabled/disabled.

So am I to assume that the criteria the DLM system works by isn't readily published for the general public?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-May-18 09:16:51
Print Post

Some criteria are thought to be known or have been guessed at, but far from everything

Some of what people have from years ago is also not relevant today with all the changes

Print Thread

Jump to