General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-18 12:41:34
Print Post

New build - FTTC not available, how long for database?

[link to this post]

Hello,
I am currently going through the process of purchasing a new build semi-detached that was built on a previous property's land.

If I enter the details for the new property (no current phone line) via the address checker it says that only FTTP on Demand and ADSL (up to 1.5mb!) is available.

Now I know that the neighbors can get FTTC and the new build is connected to the same cabinet, I also know that the property that was previously on this site is still in the system and if I enter that properties details that shows as having FTTC available. From the research I have done, once we complete and get a phone line initially installed that will start the process of Openreach updating their database.

The thing I can't find out is how long this will take? I have seen some comments stating that if you order through BT retail they can 'wiggle' the order through as they don't rely just on the standardised database but I require the internet for work and 1.5mb won't cut it so am trying to get a rough idea of the best way to go about it. I am half tempted to just put the order through on the properties old house name but know this will create problems further along even though its in the same physical location (old big property torn down for 4 new semi-detached properties). I was hoping to go with PlusNet as they are just that much cheaper but if it requires a year paying with BT to get it enabled quicker I am happy to do that.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 11-Jun-18 12:56:32
Print Post

Re: New build - FTTC not available, how long for database?

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

I have seen some comments stating that if you order through BT retail they can 'wiggle' the order through as they don't rely just on the standardised database.

It's irrelevant what ISP you order with, they all use the same database.

That's a fudge of an excuse to be honest.
Getting a phone line fitted is no guarantee what so ever that it will update with the right details anyway.

The address checker should show FTTC as available, and prodding OpenReach in the right way will correct this. You would then be able to order FTTC right away.

Having to order a phone line, wait, then upgrade to FTTC can affect the deal that you get, especially lucrative cashback offers.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-18 13:30:39
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response. I have completed a form here https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040... asking about the issue so hopefully that might produce a result. I have not yet exchanged on the property (should be next week) so hopefully they will still look into getting it resolved.

Are there any other ways to 'prod' Openreach in the correct way that you know of?

Thanks again.

BT Infinity 2

76MB Down
20MB Up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Jun-18 13:37:05
Print Post

I am the other way to prod them

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-18 14:40:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ha that sounds like an interesting job to have!

So if I have no luck via the Openreach form I should contact you MrSaffron?

BT Infinity 2

76MB Down
20MB Up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Jun-18 15:51:16
Print Post

Yeap, email andrew@thinkbroadband.com

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jun-18 17:17:30
Print Post

Odd that the checker shows FTTPoD as available as that should only be available to properties that have FTTC available.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-18 17:22:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you, really appreciated.

Turns out we got confirmation today that the developer is going to let us start the phone install process when we exchange so next week hopefully. The Openreach form said roughly 2 working days for a response so if nothing comes of that you will definitely receive an email from me.

Really, thanks again.

BT Infinity 2

76MB Down
20MB Up
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 11-Jun-18 18:19:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

AFAIK it will show FTTPod to anyone that shows as connected to an FTTC enabled cabinet. It doesn't matter if they have estimates or not.
So as long as VDSL Multicast is shown then FoD should be shown.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Wed 13-Jun-18 16:28:47
Print Post

Just thought i'd update. A kind user on here messaged me privately and over the last few days working with him the addresses have now been updated to show fibre as being avail in the 63-80mb range so am chuffed. I won't post his username just to avoid him an influx of PM's but really appreciate his help.

Openreach did reply but mainly indicated that nothing could be done until I had placed an initial order which may have caused issues as at that point the checkers weren't showing FTTC as available and as it's a fairly automated process I have a feeling the FTTC order would have been rejected.

BT Infinity 2

76MB Down
20MB Up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to