General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User clayma
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-18 15:56:45
Print Post

FTTP installation stopped... so switch to FTTPoD?

[link to this post]

Hi all, looking for some advice here.

In early October 2017, Openreach installed fibre on telephone pole outside our houses all the way down into the town. The black cylinders were also installed and what looks like fibre connections into them. Needless to say we were all excited at the possibility of upgrading our 3Mb connections!

Unfortunately, nothing has happened since then. Since October, the work remains unfinished with fibre wrapped around in a loop on telephone poles. I can see the fibre outside my house. Speaking to Openreach there are no plans to complete the work citing lack of funding etc etc. Has anyone else been in this position? Seems crazy Openreach would build this then walk away.

Looking at the bb checker, FTTP on Demand is available (300/30). One option is that I go for FTTP On Demand. If I did, would the costs be cheaper as the cable and work is practically already done?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jun-18 16:26:55
Print Post

Re: FTTP installation stopped... so switch to FTTPoD?

[re: clayma] [link to this post]

Black cylinder with a black with yellow stripe tube does not prove fibre is present, just the tubing to carry it is present.

Is this Wales per chance?

Fibre on Demand is only available if FTTC is available, and costs may or may not be different, i.e. since while some work is done no-one has actually paid for it yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User clayma
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-18 08:54:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, yes it is Wales... the fibre is running along telephone poles. The poles have "fibre overhead" stamped on them. FTTC is not available in our area but OR have confirmed separately to me that FTTPoD is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jun-18 10:26:05
Print Post

The fibre may still not be in place, and if it was the big coils you see would not be coiled up but neatly joined up so the fibre can be blown through and spliced. If you've seen people with compressors and fusion splicing going on then you have at least some fibre in place.

The costs I will bet will be no different to a normal FoD order, since the work that is done already (is waiting on being paid) and those range in the £7,000 to £30,000 region these days.

Don't recall what date we expect to hear on the next phase of the Wales contracts being signed but if willing to wait it may be a lot cheaper, and negotiations are in theory still underway what to do with areas like yours, plus gainshare dividends may mean that even if BT does not get the big phase contract that it gets smaller expansion contracts that will cover you.

The reason you got left behind was a big rush to deliver contract targets, and hanging some infrastructure such as what you've described and matches what I saw in Wales last summer is cheap and quick to do, in many cases the slower and harder work of fusion splicing and fibre blowing did happen but as the project deadline was reached and targets were found to have been hit the payment machine stopped.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-18 10:28:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by clayma:
Hi, yes it is Wales... the fibre is running along telephone poles. The poles have "fibre overhead" stamped on them. FTTC is not available in our area but OR have confirmed separately to me that FTTPoD is.

If FTTPoD is available to you then you WILL be connected to a FTTC cabinet but just too far to get a reasonable speed - hence the reason why Openreach have/had FTTP plans for your address. Probably worth emailing Mr S your full details to see if he can prod someone at Openreach to get clarification. But if you decide to go for FTTPoD it won’t be cheap (>£10k) as you are highly likely to be a long way from the aggregation node.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 22-Jun-18 11:10:50)

Standard User clayma
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-18 12:16:50
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. All makes more sense now! I guess other options are 4G (albeit with a data allowance) or even a leased line. Does a leased line use the same fibre as FTTP or is this a completely new line?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-18 12:35:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by clayma:
Does a leased line use the same fibre as FTTP or is this a completely new line?

Leased lines use a different fibre topology. Often going direct from your premises to the nearest PoP. You can't take out BT/Openreach based consumer FTTP services on them and also they're not cheap. On the plus side, you get guaranteed min speeds, better fix times (SLA) and also the possibility of symmetrical speeds on leased lines.

Have a peak at http://linebroker.co.uk/

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 22-Jun-18 12:37:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jun-18 15:16:28
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Leased in the long term will work out more expensive.

FoD is a high cost upfront but cheaper per month, so suited to those with spare cash or able to justify through work e.g. work at home and save a lot on commuting

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-18 09:07:18
Print Post

I think I saw them say on the Openreach Twitter feed that all FTTP expansion is currently on hold and has been for a while. It was in a reply to someone so I would have trouble finding that tweet again unfortunately. But you’re not the only one.

Icaras
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-18 09:09:29
Print Post

I think I saw them say on the Openreach Twitter feed that all FTTP expansion was on hold and had been for a while. It was in a reply to someone so I would have trouble finding that tweet again unfortunately. The tweet was around a month ago. But you’re not the only one.

Looks like things are resuming again though.

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to