General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AngS
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-18 11:17:46
Print Post

New all in one cabinet. Infill

[link to this post]

We are about 3 miles from the exchange and until now about 1.5 - 2 miles from the cabinet that supplied us. (Cab 7 on Sandbach exchange). We have never been able to get fibre as we were too far from the cabinet and have suffered with <1mb broadband. Our village has been pushing our local rural broadband scheme for years and we were told that we should be sorted this summer.

At the beginning of June a new ďall in one type cabinetĒ appeared in our village. Itís about 1.5 miles from the next nearest cabinet (which is the one we are served from). Last week guys with big reels of what looked like fibre did some work along the road that leads from Sandbach past the existing cabinet and into our village. Hopefully the fibre going in.

Today when Iíve come home Iíve noticed that 4 silver locks have appeared ( just little round key type ones). They form a large rectangle on the front of the cabinet. Is this a type of the silver lock people talk about going on cabinets when they are commissioned? There is also a little yellow sticker with a electrical symbol on it appeared. Does this mean the power & fibre are all there and the cabinet is ready to go?

I think from what Iíve read we need Ďlive to live migrationí to happen. So our lines are routed from the old cabinet to the new.

I know the new cabinet must be for our village to transfer over too as there are only about 100 houses and we are all currently attached to cabinet 7. There is no new buildings/ development in the area so the only point of it is infill I would assume.

How does live to live migration happen, any clue on timescales? Does it interrupt services?

Any help would be gratefully received

Edited by AngS (Sat 23-Jun-18 11:24:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Jun-18 11:37:13
Print Post

Re: New all in one cabinet. Infill

[re: AngS] [link to this post]

Cabs ship with green locks these get replaced with the correct ones i.e. Openreach keys so if its locks rather then usually a good sign. The large rectangle description is confusing me.

If cabinet is where I suspect you mean no sign of it being live yet

The yellow sticker, suspect it comes with that attached already.

The big reels, if this was 1 inch diameter and black with a yellow stripe then it is fibre tubing and not the fibre and you are still waiting on the fibre to be blown down this.

Live to live timescales depends on operators and when they agree a date, a short interruption is all. Of course if you don't have FTTC now it will make no difference for you until you order a FTTC service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AngS
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-18 12:08:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks so much for reply.

By The large rectangle description I just mean 4 little (1-2cm) round locks which are either side of the door gap top and bottom (you could join the dots to make a rectangle shape) The wide band that goes across the middle of the cabinet (and stands out) is still green.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 23-Jun-18 12:10:38
Print Post

okay that is the normal

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AngS
(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-18 22:02:25
Print Post

Saw a lone openreach engineer at the cabinet today so I asked him for an update. He told me the fibre was there and he was installing it in the cabinet and all it needs now is power.

Iíve found roadworks planned for a weeks time which reads

SANDBACH - 465486 - DUCT OVERLAYS - Install 64M of new duct in CW/verge to power DSLAM as part of Connecting

So is this the power for cabinet. Are they likely to just do ducting or actually connect the power as well.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jun-18 22:17:30
Print Post

Likely ducting and then someone else to do power, i.e. needs to be done by right people

Standard User AngS
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-18 18:19:27
Print Post

Hello

Weíve had conflicting information with an openreach engineer at the cabinet telling us fibre is there (and roadworks planned for power next week according to roadworks .org)

However someone has been told that there is a problem with blocked fibre ducts so there isnít fibre to the cabinet yet. They said the cabinet with the fibre ducting problem is cabinet 39. Is there any way anyone can check if cab 39 is our new one as Iím sure when it first arrived to had a label on saying 38.

Post code for our cabinet is cw11 2TP
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jul-18 22:05:25
Print Post

Until things are live very difficult to say a lot

It may be there is a cabinet due to appear close to CW11 4YE and another close to CW11 2TQ

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 12-Jul-18 08:49:43
Print Post

That'll be 39. Cab 38 is about 1.5 miles away CW11 4SD
  Print Thread

Jump to