General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User redshock16
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-18 09:38:36
Print Post

BT Youview box problem with Hyperoptic

[link to this post]

I have recently changed from BT to Hyperoptic ,but ever since I switched over I haven't been able to connect the Youview box to the internet.I'm currently using a BT Extender Flex 500 kit and the router is too far away from the Youview box to connect the two by Ethernet cable.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?Do I need to replace the flex with something else?

Edited by redshock16 (Sun 24-Jun-18 11:29:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Jun-18 09:44:40
Print Post

Re: BT Youview box problem with Hyperoptic

[re: redshock16] [link to this post]

The Flex 500 are just HomePlugs, so if a turn off and on does not fix things now when with Hyperoptic a possibility is that Multicast is not working

Is the YouView reporting an IP address i.e. the one handed out by the Hyperoptic router? If yes and some limited visibility of the internet is possible then points towards multicast issue, or another option is the CGNAT running for IPv4 connections is breaking connectivity

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jun-18 09:55:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Might be worth temporarily shifting the whole shebang next to the router to see if the home plugs are the issue ....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User redshock16
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-18 10:43:13
Print Post

Thanks for the reply.I tried a complete reboot of the router and Youview box and have done an auto and manual connect of the Youview box,but nothing has worked.This makes me think there is a hardware comparability issue with what used to work and the new Hyperoptic router.Unfortunately I'm unable to connect the Youview box by wire to the router at this present time to test that aspect.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 24-Jun-18 11:21:04
Print Post

As you've changed over to BT, is there any reason why you're not using the BT supplied router? It would rule out an issue with the router if you use the BT supplied one.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jun-18 11:23:30
Print Post

In your opening post you said you had come from Hyperoptic to BT ...

But this post seems to imply you have left BT for Hyperoptic...

I would doubt that the BT YouView box would work connected to a Hyperoptic service,
certainly not for additional (web based) content.

Standard User redshock16
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-18 11:28:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ah,sorry for the confusion.Shows what happens when I post half awake.I have indeed come from BT to Hyperoptic.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jun-18 11:32:24
Print Post

Thank you for the clarification ...

.. and I believe bears out why The YouView box has stopped working.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Jun-18 13:06:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm not sure that all Internet content will stop working, the on demand is not multicast based, so stuff like iPlayer would work, but some channels that use Multicast e.g. to view live but over Internet may not if the hyperoptic router is breaking multicast.

Which Hyperoptic router is it? The old 802.11n device or the newer 802.11ac router?

The YouView box somewhere in its interface should have a page saying what IP address it has been given, is it being given one? If NO then you need to drag everything closer to the router, or get a long enough Ethernet cable to check that it is not an issue with the plugs.

Another possibility is that while YouView boxes are OK behind NAT of a router, the higher level CGNAT on Hyperoptic may be breaking things. The way to know would be for support to switch you to a static IPv4 address (usually they charge for this, but they may waive that if this is a way of fixing a problem)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BranH
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-18 13:23:04
Print Post

The first diagnosis should be is the to check what it says in settings - broadband connection. Is it set to automatic or manual, sometimes with some BT routers / youview combinations it was best to put manual settings in, the change of router could have invalidated this.
The dhcp allocation of an ip address is just down the to box and the router, with the external system not making any difference.
With the change of provider all the live internet channels will have stopped as they are multicasted over the bt network, but the catch up players should still work, along with the fetching of pictures and info to help populate mytv.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to