General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User S2KIP
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-18 11:34:04
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: abat] [link to this post]

My BT surveyor was quite vague about where mine is, he just pointed in the direction of the three FTTC cabinets and said 'over there'. It could be well beyond them for all I know. There is a 3 section long manhole next to them with lots of BT chalk on the floor, I hope it is that as it's about 15-200m away from my house which would keep the installation costs down.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Sep-18 11:40:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by abat:
Apparently my AG node is 800m away [.....] it appears to be not at a cabinet

That's because agg nodes are not usually located at FTTC cabinets. A single AN usually serves a few FTTC cabs and will therefore be located somewhere between cabs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 26-Sep-18 11:49:24)

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 26-Sep-18 12:07:36
Print Post

[re: S2KIP] [link to this post]

The surveyor team (two guys) I had this morning from Openreach have taken some pictures of where the current FTTC connection terminates at. Both friendly, but couldn't say what the rough distance was to the aggregation node as they said they survey from the house back towards the aggregation node, and the house is the first step in that process or something. Unfortunate but oh well. Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any issues with me wanting the fiber optic cable brought through the back bedroom, where the line comes in, to the front bedroom where the current phone line terminates at. All I need to do on the day is move a wardrobe so they can drill another hole between the two rooms (assuming I go ahead).

Understandably they were impressed and surprised with the server cabinet in my room, enough for one of them to come back twice due to leaving one or two items behind by mistake haha.

Edited by Ixel (Wed 26-Sep-18 12:08:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Wed 26-Sep-18 13:59:56
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
In reply to a post by 1nfern0:
How far are you away from the aggregation node? just waiting for my final quote but curious to see how I compare.

1.8 km. Most of that is overhead, pole to pole, with a short section, perhaps around 450 metres ducted.

Thanks, not really a bad quote given the distance. Not really comparable to my run which is 800m of ducts
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Sep-18 16:04:23
Print Post

[re: 1nfern0] [link to this post]

So doing some looking around on StreetView on the road where the surveyor said the AN was there are some normal looking BT double manhole things on the ground at one end of the road. Intriguingly at the other end is a small green cabinet which doesn't look like any PCP or fibre cab I have ever seen in the same green. The streetview photo though is from 2009 so this seems unlikely I guess.

Anyway regardless of which end of the road it is at now I have had the survey I am closer to getting a real price. Given the surveyor guessed 800m is seems like it is the far end with the mysterious green cab.

Mike
Standard User rman
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 09:17:13
Print Post

oh wow yours went up from desktop quote!

I had my survey done at the beginning of the week, i shall report back what my final build quote is.

Desktop quote was: £7,600.00 ex VAT
Standard User brookheather
(learned) Thu 27-Sep-18 09:54:40
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

So I finally had my survey this morning - my AG node is about 800m away (outside Osprey Court on the Finchley Road NW3) and my original desktop quote was £7,100+vat. There is ducting under the pavements all the way to right outside my house so I'm not sure whether my quote will change much. I discussed with the surveyor where I wanted the fibre cable to go (back of the house along the exterior wall) and he said fine and would draw it up for the contractors. Due to restrictions in how much the optical cable can bend it can't follow tight corners so it requires quite a bit of planning to get the best line for the installation.

One interesting piece of information was the surveyor told me he has been asked by OR to also survey 95 nearby houses for a future FTTP rollout - so it looks like my FFTPoD order has triggered a wider survey. I'm not expecting any actual FTTP rollout to happen locally in less than a couple of years so it won't affect my FFTPoD order.

My original quote was for Band B which is 200m-400m but my AG node is much further away so a little confused about this. I was told there is a splitter node about 300m from me so is it possible that they would only need to run a fibre cable from the splitter node?

Edited by brookheather (Thu 27-Sep-18 13:54:42)

Standard User CJ18
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 09:56:55
Print Post

I had the Openreach surveyors round this morning, this was just shy of two weeks from placing my order with Cerberus.

From what I could glean, it sounds like the agg node is either at or close to the FTTC cabinet I am connected to, which is about 1km from my house. There are ducts going virtually the whole way, they did say it looked like some digging would be required on a street corner near my house but shouldn't be any more than that.

One of the surveyors also told me that in my area currently, they are getting FTTP OD installed in around two months.

Now begins the wait for the final build price, because frankly it is all going to hinge on that.
Standard User rman
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 10:06:28
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

brookheather mine did exactly the same, i assume if anything this would put the area higher on the list for the rollout considering they would already have plans etc. They spent 4 days around my village.
Standard User NornIron91
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 23:21:23
Print Post

[re: rman] [link to this post]

Hi I'm new to this forum, has anyone else not received an estimated price from the desktop survey? I got an email saying "the network records are not reliable and Openreach have been unable to provide an estimate based on a desk survey." I have went ahead with the field survey anyway so hopefully the price isn't too bad but I'm expecting the worst.
Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to