General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 11:07:06
Print Post

Confused - incoming line to master socket

[link to this post]

Hello all. Hope you are well. I have only one telephone socket in my house. It's a NTE5A with a Mk2 faceplate (I think). I'm on Sky Fibre. Should the incoming line from the telegraph pole be connected to the screw down A and B connections in my phone socket or to the 2 and 5 push down connections? Many thanks!

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Now with Sky Fibre - 37.5Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-18 11:45:08
Print Post

Re: Confused - incoming line to master socket

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

The incoming feed should be connected to the NTE5A screw terminals.
Extension wiring gets connected to the lower removable faceplate.

The MK filtered faceplate model should be written on it if it is an MK2 or MK3.
If there is no such model marked on the front then it is an MK1 or it has faded.
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 12:18:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

jOhn83 - you're right. It must be a Mk1 then. My incoming cable is connected to the 2 and 5 as opposed to the A and B screw in connectors. Would changing make a difference do you think (not that I'm allowed to!) Thanks.

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-18 13:59:02
Print Post

Could you take a couple of pictures clearly showing how the Master Socket is wired?
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 14:05:14
Print Post

I can do that later certainly John. Not uploaded a pic before however. How do I go about it?! Thanks again.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-18 14:10:25
Print Post

You can't add images or attachments to the forums so you need to upload any images to a 3rd party image host.

Upload the images to a site like http://tinypic.com or https://imgbb.com and post the links here.
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 14:15:28
Print Post

Will do John. Many thanks.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-18 16:26:04
Print Post

Seems like the NTE5 has been wired up as an extension socket. i.e. the rear terminals have been bypassed and connections made to the extension terminals on the faceplate?
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-18 21:22:23
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

jOhn83 and 4M2 - I'm clearly going a bit mad...please see http://tinypic.com/r/2labju9/9 and http://tinypic.com/r/14vr6hf/9

The blue wire is into A and the orange into B. The green and brown are left loose. It must be because they are not screwed in but punched down which clearly fogged my brain. Apologies. I'm assuming I have the Mk1 Openreach socket and Mk1 i-plate thingy? I would like to get hold of a Mk3 i-plate to see if my stats improve but I can't see them anywhere! Does my setup look ok? Thanks again and apologies for the confusion on my part.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-18 22:43:50
Print Post

Looks OK smile

You have a NTE5A plus what looks like a Mk1 filtered faceplate and no extensions. A Mk3 plate would be an easy swap but you may not see any improvement in broadband performance, although Mk2 and Mk3 plates do have RF filters which I believe can help on some VDSL lines.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to