General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomse43
(regular) Fri 03-Aug-18 09:03:47
Print Post

New G.Fast pod on my cabinet

[link to this post]

A new G.Fast pod (which is not yet live) has recently appeared on my cabinet, hooray...However, i'm way too far from it to benefit from the very fast speeds, boo....

I hear vectoring is enabled on all G.Fast enabled cabinets by default. Would this also be active on the VDSL2 side?

I'm hoping that if it is, my speed may increase slightly as I am seemingly experiencing some crosstalk (speeds decreased as more neighbours took up FTTC).

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is the larger Huawei fibre cabinet.

Edited by tomse43 (Fri 03-Aug-18 09:06:59)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 03-Aug-18 20:53:27
Print Post

Re: New G.Fast pod on my cabinet

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

No.

They are completely separate DSLAM's.

Vectoring isn't compatible between the 2 technologies anyway.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-18 10:47:05
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

How does vectoring work if you have both VDSL and G.fast on the same PCP and both are using vectoring?

Since both will be trying to cancel out noise how can they does this when they are trying to do this over the same cables when neither can know what the other is doing?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0el
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-18 11:11:09
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Deployments in the UK (Openreach) are using frequencies from 19-106 MHz (source). VDSL (17a, highest profile used by OR) and G.Fast do not overlap, so there is no concern for crosstalk between the two technologies. Although starting at a higher frequency is detrimental to distance, hence why G.Fast can be a lot slower than VDSL at further distances.

Edited by j0el (Sat 04-Aug-18 11:13:23)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-18 11:23:11
Print Post

[re: j0el] [link to this post]

Is have thought it unlikely to have a vectored VDSL cab and g.fast together in the openreach network.
Standard User j0el
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-18 11:45:36
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Having vectoring enabled on VDSL is rare anyway, at least in the UK. So I imagine having vectored VDSL and G.Fast available to you is certainly almost nil... you'd probably have a better chance winning the lottery! Though there is no harm of having G.Fast and vectored VDSL in the vicinity considering they use different parts of the spectrum, though they will only benefit their own technologies.
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-18 12:29:58
Print Post

[re: j0el] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0el:
Having vectoring enabled on VDSL is rare anyway

Not the case, there are more and more Huawei cabs having vectoring enabled for VDSL.
Standard User j0el
(newbie) Sat 04-Aug-18 13:12:04
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

Perhaps you know something that I don't know. Though I am not aware of any plans from OR for a widespread vectoring rollout outside the scope to enable it on networks where deemed "beneficial". Though I imagine that "beneficial" will be on short to medium length lines where there is only 1 DSLAM per cabinet (since uncancelled crosstalk from other DSLAMs can be a detriment).

Could be wrong, but that's just how I interpreted it.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-18 13:32:12
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

It most certainly is rare.
OpenReach haven't done ANY commercial VDSL2 Vectoring.

The only time Vectoring is deployed is on targeted BDUK funded cabinets where Vectoring will push properties over the 24Mb "Superfast" targets.
Standard User Westyfield2
(learned) Tue 07-Aug-18 13:29:20
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

As a follow up question then...

Lets say that at 400m is where G.fast and VDSL2 equalise. Beyond that you'll be slower on G.fast than you would on VDSL2.

But (picking at random) lets say you're 500m away. So on paper you'll be faster by choosing VDSL2 and get about 60Mbps. But you've got a load of crosstalk from neighbours and consequently you're not getting 60Mbps and are more like 40-50Mbps.
Could a vectored G.fast be better than your non-vectored VDSL2? And will you be allowed to order G.fast, or will it be "No you're too far away".
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to