General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Cheshirecat90
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-18 14:10:28
Print Post

FTTP available for neighbours but not my property

[link to this post]

Hello all.

Quite frankly, I am running out of steam in trying to find an answer to this question! Iíve been back and forth with Openreach and the property developer with no clear answer whatsoever.
I moved into a fairly new estate last year where there was no broadband connection installed in the whole area. There was a community fibre partnership which failed in reaching funding and so a glimmer of hope in gaining access to any form of fast speeds fell flat.
Then, shortly after I noticed several Openreach vans working on the estate and also in the cabinet. When I approached these to ask them what work they were doing they informed me FTTP was being installed but to only certain properties on the estate.
Then, after research and the work was complete only half of the estate has been upgraded and the other half are still stuck with 2mbps d/l which is utterly ridiculous.

When Iíve questioned Openreach on their decision they have either :

a) given me a generic response saying that there are no plans for my area but community fibre funding is available ( yet half the estate have been upgraded by Openreach for free!)
B) ignored my e-mail
C) responded and informed me that my property was not on the database and would update me which they never did and then failed to respond to a subsequent e-mail from myself.

Sorry for the long post but I am seriously angry at all of this now and would just like a simple response from Openreach! Even maybe an estimate of when I may be upgraded.

Hope somebody can help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-18 14:24:19
Print Post

Re: FTTP available for neighbours but not my property

[re: Cheshirecat90] [link to this post]

You need to email or private message me your address

Note: Openreach is free to deliver where it wants if commercial roll-out, if public money then it may be they were told to do some areas, or funding was only available for part of the area.

All broadband roll-outs have a boundary, if you got a free extension to cover you, the next neighbour should and so on to the extreme where they do the whole country.

Once an idea of location is known then some knowledge on history may explain it, new estates can often have multiple developers, so it may be some streets may have had a developer who signed up to FTTP and others who did nothing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-18 15:23:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nothing obvious in terms of history for estate that I know of.

Streetview suggests that the areas that have got FTTP are the newer premises, i.e. streetview seems to show them being built in 2015/2016, so it may be developer signed up for the FTTP for new build scheme on those, but as this did not exist when the earlier stages (around 2012 I think) were built those premises are missing out.

The CommunityFibre path is the most obvious path, but you've tried and failed apparently.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 06-Aug-18 17:39:11
Print Post

When Iíve questioned Openreach on their decision they have either :

a) given me a generic response saying that there are no plans for my area but community fibre funding is available ( yet half the estate have been upgraded by Openreach for free!)
B) ignored my e-mail
C) responded and informed me that my property was not on the database and would update me which they never did and then failed to respond to a subsequent e-mail from myself.

Your developer is entirely to blame.
OpenReach didn't just randomly install FTTP for free to the newer properties. The developer will have ordered this from OpenReach (it is free, but only if you bring OpenReach onboard at the very start and build everything to their requirements).

You have 3 options.

1. Pressure your developer to pay for OpenReach to install either FTTC or FTTP. If they are still building/selling homes a sign in the garden stating how poor the internet is often gets noticed.
2. Community Fund it.
3. Do nothing and hope OpenReach eventually cover you, wether that be commercial or BDUK funded.
Standard User 512uk
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-18 19:32:00
Print Post

As others have said, I think your developer has clearly cut corners here. Putting the pressure on them to rectify it / pay the CFP should yield results. Especially when you can use PR as leverage.
Standard User Cheshirecat90
(newbie) Thu 09-Aug-18 13:06:10
Print Post

[re: 512uk] [link to this post]

This is the reply i received from the developer:

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email, this has been logged to our system.

As the property was built over 6 years ago, the infrastructure installed would have been in line with the specification at that time. Due to this, we would not attend to upgrade the internet connections and such would have to be looked into by your provider.

We apologies we cannot be of any more help.

Kind regards
Brooke"
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 09-Aug-18 16:53:57
Print Post

I read that as "thank you but we already have everyone's money"

The current infrastructure specification is the same now as it was then. The telecoms provided are those that the developer orders.
They would have to pay for FTTC then like they do now.
Only difference now is OpenReach will install FTTP free. Many developers still choose to only install copper lines with access to exchange based ADSL.
  Print Thread

Jump to