General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Fri 10-Aug-18 21:07:19
Print Post

Landline number change

[link to this post]

My apologies for always turning up here to pick brains so here I go again..
Change initiated and will occur on 16th August from BT Fibre broadband and Phone to Sky fibre and Anytime Extra phone.

I have been informed that I will have a different phone number at that point.

Now given I have had speed issues on my existing number (well documented here on TB) can anyone tell me if changing a phone number is a physical thing in that part of my connection to the cabinet will be different OR just a virtual thing whereby the hardware [path from cabinet to house] is identical but just given a different number?

The reason for asking is that if there is NO physical difference in any part of the line wiring,I might as well try to keep the same number I have now, however if there is the slightest bit of physical change I could take a chance on that bit being what caused my throughput to be maxed at 50Mbps where all my adjacent neighbours get about 65+ Mbps. I will not initially be trying to get 80/20 performance given I could never get anywhere near my neighbours (when on both Entanet and BT 80/20) but would like to know if in future the hassle of changing numbers might solve my problem.

As ever I hope this makes sense to someone.
Thanks
Jamie
Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 10-Aug-18 21:11:57
Print Post

Re: Landline number change

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

If the new provider won't port a BT number, it just means they are too lazy to do so. It won't make any difference to the line's physics.
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Fri 10-Aug-18 22:02:09
Print Post

Re: Landline number change

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Ah thanks for that, Id better try to keep the existing number.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to