General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sat 11-Aug-18 06:36:34
Print Post

Broadband Quality Monitor - all red?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. I recently installed the used the BQM from this site and when I look back at it over the last week, every day is just a graph full of red from top to bottom indicating packet loss according to the key on the graph. I'm guessing this is bad? My connection is stable and never really drops. Can anyone offer an explanation please? Many thanks.

Link - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Now with Sky Fibre - 37.5Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up

Edited by giggsy1977 (Sat 11-Aug-18 07:19:07)

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Sat 11-Aug-18 07:39:14
Print Post

Re: Broadband Quality Monitor - all red?

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

I should add that my router is configured to respond to ping requests on its WAN/Internet port.

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Router stats - Connection speed 40000 kbps down, 9997 kbps up - Line Attenuation 19.3 dB down, 0.0 dB up - Noise Margin 9.8 dB down, 9.9 dB up.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Sat 11-Aug-18 09:00:08
Print Post

Check if your IP address has changed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 512uk
(learned) Sat 11-Aug-18 09:32:58
Print Post

100% loss will mean the IP it's configured to monitor is no longer replying to pings.

The cause of this may mean a change in IP, the connection is down or the router is no longer responding to ICMP pings (firewall).

As you say your connection is fine, the cause will most likely be a change in IP.

100Mbps Ethernet Leased Line (work)

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Aug-18 09:46:32
Print Post

Check that the IP address you set up on the monitor is the same IP address as reported by https://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/what-is-my-ip

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Aug-18 14:33:15
Print Post

If you don't have a fixed IP address then use Dynamic DNS, and configure the ping monitor to use that Domain Name. - works for me.

Michael Chare
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Aug-18 19:34:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If you don't have a fixed IP address then use Dynamic DNS, and configure the ping monitor to use that Domain Name. - works for me.

Agreed, I do the same, works like a charm.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Sat 11-Aug-18 23:19:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Noting that the title of the OP's BQM graph is "My Sky FTTC".... and their signature also confirms they're with Sky.. as do some of their other posts and on a an up-to-40mbps type service.... and Sky don't offer fixed IP except on the 2yr-obsolete 80mbps Sky Fibre Pro... pretty sure the Dynamic IP suggestions are correct!

@giggsy if you need any help with the DynamicDNS ask away, but there doesn't look to be much choice with the Sky router, so you shouldn't have too much problem.

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) bqm | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-18 02:37:56
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by olicuk:
Noting that the title of the OP's BQM graph is "My Sky FTTC".... and their signature also confirms they're with Sky.. as do some of their other posts and on a an up-to-40mbps type service.... and Sky don't offer fixed IP except on the 2yr-obsolete 80mbps Sky Fibre Pro... pretty sure the Dynamic IP suggestions are correct!

Yep, I had the same issue with BT, I even offered to pay for a static IP monthly, but they said no, they did offer a solution of a business connection, sadly I would loose over 73% of my current speed due to they don't do a 330Mbit package over FTTP, which they then said to get 4 of them, I was like yeah right lol.

So I set my own DDNS up, granted I broke the auto update script so I have to manually update the DNS to reflect my new IP, but it works smile

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User giggsy1977
(member) Mon 13-Aug-18 23:18:24
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hello all, apologies for the delay on getting back. I tried the suggestions above but it seems I need to use my pc rather than my phone for setting it up (ip address via noip.com) so I shall do that and report back. Many thanks.

Router stats - Connection speed 40000 kbps down, 9997 kbps up - Line Attenuation 19.3 dB down, 0.0 dB up - Noise Margin 9.8 dB down, 9.9 dB up.
  Print Thread

Jump to