General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 14-Aug-18 15:22:51
Print Post

Nearest aggregation point?

[link to this post]

I was wondering whether anyone on here can advise as to the likely nearest aggregation point for FFTP or leased line to the post code GL15 6PW? A year or so BT refused to quote for a leased line as they said that the nearest was 11 miles away, but I find that hard to believe, and also I'm hoping that if it was true then it has changed since.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 14-Aug-18 15:50:13
Print Post

Re: Nearest aggregation point?

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Leased lines will not come from an NGA Aggregation Node. They will come from the nearest POP, possibly the local exchange but not necessarily.

BT may not be willing to provide a quote but there will be plenty other Leased Line providers that will.

The locations of local NGA Aggregation Nodes for OpenReach FTTP/(oD) are not publicly available.

I don't imagine anyone who works for OpenReach will be in a rush to lookup this info on demand as every tyre kicker in the country will join in and ask.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Aug-18 16:01:43
Print Post

Two guesses from me

1. It may be in Netherend near the exchange
or
2. All the way back in Chepstow

FTTP is a different set of fibre infrastructure to leased lines, so the above is talking about GEA-FTTP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Tue 14-Aug-18 16:26:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback. There is nothing other than FTTC and ADSL2+ available from the Netherend exchange, and all the remaining lines that can't get FTTC are EO. Since Chepstow's exchange is only 4 miles away (as is Lydney's), I can't figure out BT's 11 mile statement, but I suspect the very best case of 4 miles would be quite expensive anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Aug-18 16:59:12
Print Post

The statement on leased lines is down the leased line network not being based on the same network as the GEA-FTTP network in particular the backhaul arrangements.

FTTP and a leased line may both be delivered via full fibre, but the backhaul arrangements are VERY different.

So very likely the POP for leased lines is what ever larger place is 11 miles away.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Aug-18 17:04:20
Print Post

Try the comparison site linebroker for alternatives to BT/Openreach leased lines

www.linebroker.co.uk

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Prog
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-18 11:24:02
Print Post

Try checking the www.gigaclear.com website as they are installing in places missed by bt?
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Wed 15-Aug-18 11:31:15
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. That does confirm that to get anything better than the 4G I can get I would have to spend more than I can justify (cheaper to retire early!). I'm actually now trying 4G with L2TP to get a static IP address. It isn't ideal, but mostly works.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Wed 15-Aug-18 11:43:16
Print Post

[re: Prog] [link to this post]

Yes, I am actually in Gigaclear's rollout plans. My property has been Fastershire's plans (first BT then Gigaclear) for well over 5 years. The build won't start for another year (unless it slips again - which it almost certainly will). And then the cost is rather high (can't self-install a business line) and they charge extra for bridge mode, don't offer IPv6, and if you add in a comparable SLA they actually cost more than a leased line but with a 20-1 contention ratio. They won't allow any business use on a domestic line (won't provision a domestic line to a property where a business is registered), and it doesn't matter how small the business is. So although it sounds great in principle, I'm not looking at Gigaclear as an answer. It may depend what resellers (if any) are offering by the time they finally get around to my area.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-18 14:50:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
They won't allow any business use on a domestic line (won't provision a domestic line to a property where a business is registered), and it doesn't matter how small the business is.

Do you have a source for that?

They may not allow you to order a residential product at a business address, but they should allow you to order a residential product at a residential address regardless of a business operating from that address.

Do you think they check every residential order to see if a business if registered there?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to