General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steve25
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-18 15:08:00
Print Post

No VDSL availablity but neighbours ok on BT Wholesale site

[link to this post]

Want to move from Virginmedia to FTTC provider but all the providers sites only show ADSL options but no FTTC products. Checking on the BT Wholesale address checker shows:-
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- -- Available --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7 Up to 0.5 -- Available --
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- -- Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --

I have checked both neighbours and they show VDSL available, we are all on the same cab 9 on Ortons exchange. Why canít I see VDSL options on the BT checker, is it because I donít have a working BT line and how do I compare prices for FTTC products?
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 19-Aug-18 15:44:01
Print Post

Re: No VDSL availablity but neighbours ok on BT Wholesale si

[re: steve25] [link to this post]

Does that page definitely show you as connected to cabinet 9?

I would expect that to show VDSL Multicast if it was just a database issue.

What does https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do
say for your property?

edit: actually FTTPoD being available shows it knows your on an FTTC cabinet.

It often shows VDSL Multicast available with database issues. I guess I assumed it would always show.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 19-Aug-18 15:49:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Aug-18 16:45:09
Print Post

If property has not had an Openreach phone line ever or for some years you can get this showing up.

Ortons cab 9 should have all the lines coming from the VDSL2 cabinet, there are some unusual speed variations in the wholesale checker, but for speed estimate seeing what neigbours get should be a good guide.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User steve25
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-18 18:02:35
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

John,
For my address it shows:-

Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.

Exchange name: Ortons
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 9
Technology: -

For a house across the road it shows:-
Great news, Superfast fibre is in your area.
Find out which Service Providers could offer you Superfast fibre broadband today.

Exchange name: Ortons
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 9
Technology: FTTC

Until 3 months ago I had a ceased line with soft dial tone, could the local DP be full, i.e. BT have used the pair from the DP to the cab that was previously connected to my property for someone else to, say, replace a faulty pair?
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 19-Aug-18 18:24:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by steve25:
Until 3 months ago I had a ceased line with soft dial tone, could the local DP be full, i.e. BT have used the pair from the DP to the cab that was previously connected to my property for someone else to, say, replace a faulty pair?

No. The cabinet is accepting orders, you can get a line, your neighbours can get FTTC. From that the chances are high you can get FTTC unless your neighbours get very low FTTC estimates and/or your line takes a considerably longer route back to the cabinet.

It may just be a database issue. It happens.
You can contact OpenReach and ask them to check this. It's meant to be your ISP's job but getting the right person who knows what to ask OpenReach is like pulling teeth.

edit:
If you are moderately experienced using a PC there's a fairly easy method of looking up yours and your neighbours DP number.
If you share a DP with any neighbours who can get FTTC that info would help you.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4597592-fin...

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 19-Aug-18 18:32:16)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 20-Aug-18 08:42:35
Print Post

That message is exactly the same as I got on that checker for my new build before the Openreach database was updated to show fibre. Once it was updated the result changed to:

"Great news, Superfast fibre is in your area.
Find out which Service Providers could offer you Superfast fibre broadband today."

The best bet is just order a phone line and ADSL then upgrade when the database is updated.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 20-Aug-18 09:26:58
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
That message is exactly the same as I got on that checker for my new build before the Openreach database was updated to show fibre. Once it was updated the result changed to:

"Great news, Superfast fibre is in your area.
Find out which Service Providers could offer you Superfast fibre broadband today."

The best bet is just order a phone line and ADSL then upgrade when the database is updated.

I hate seeing that advice and it's absolutely unnecessary. It usually only works with new builds also. You miss out on new customer offers, cashback deals etc.

I understand that it happens with new builds but with existing addresses OpenReach should be prompted to fix their database.
Standard User steve25
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-18 17:07:00
Print Post

I have obtained DP and Cab numbers using the method described in http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4597592-fin... According to the Openreach address checker my neighbours on the same DP can order FTTC products so it does look like an Openreach data build problem, as Openreach wont talk to joe public how do I get in touch with them?

I have tried a webchat with the BT Broadband team who only came back with stock answers and werent intrested in resolving.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 21-Aug-18 17:16:38
Print Post

You could try @OpenReachHelp on Twitter.
You would need to mention you've told your ISP (BT) but they refuse to assist. That should stop them giving the default "ask your service provider" response.

There are individuals on these forums who have the right contacts within Openness to correct obvious database errors.
It's up to them if they want to offer you that though and not my place to point them out. I imagine that they get asked a lot.

Looks like a glaringly obvious database error to me.

Keep us posted.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Aug-18 17:57:28
Print Post

Drop me a line on Wednesday morning and can try another pester

andrew@thinkbroadband.com

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to