General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Tue 28-Aug-18 21:28:51
Print Post

fibre to ?

[link to this post]

Hi
I am connected to Cromer exchange and according to Better Broadband for Norfolk (BBFN) we are away to get a massive upgrade but the woman was really vague about exact details.
I currently have FTTC but am a mile away from the cabinet so get a really bad connection sometimes 11meg down but mostly about 5meg..
today a company called "HAL" were going up the road with a cherry picker, they were going up every pole that was a DP and putting a new box on pole and running a fibre down the pole to the ground and leaving a roll at the base. they put yellow tickets on each pole saying beware fibre optic cables.
I asked him what was going on and said we would all have fibre in next month or two.
can anybody tell me what this would be? would it be fttp or?
many thanks
K
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Aug-18 21:52:10
Print Post

Re: fibre to ?

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

Connectorised FTTP at a guess.

A photo of the block at the top of the pole would provide proof positive.

Standard User keymaster
(committed) Tue 28-Aug-18 22:04:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi
Thank you very much, will take a photo in the morning.
Best wishes
K

p.s. just looked at this video and it doesn't look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSB_3c_fm8&feature=...

Do they do one that is fibre to the DP and copper from DP to house?

Edited by keymaster (Tue 28-Aug-18 22:11:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Aug-18 00:27:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by keymaster:
Do they do one that is fibre to the DP and copper from DP to house?
No. It's fibre all the way into the premises.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-18 07:07:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks guys, I can confirm from early am inspection kit is exactly the same as that video above.
As I am 1 mile (exactly) from the cabinet what speed are we likely to be offered?
will I need to change the provider? I currently have two lines - one AAISP(btw) and other Pulse8(TTB).
I have been looking at CIX and their control panel looks like AAISPs one.
Prices will go up sharply when they turn this on I assume?
many thanks guys
K
Standard User candlerb
(member) Wed 29-Aug-18 08:39:13
Print Post

As I am 1 mile (exactly) from the cabinet what speed are we likely to be offered?

Fibre doesn't depend on distance (*), only what type of optical line termination equipment Openreach have. Most likely you will be able to get speeds up to 330/50 or 330/30. There will be slower packages like 160/30, 200/20, 80/20.

(*) To be more accurate, it only works up to a certain distance e.g. 20km. But as long as you are within optical range, you will get the full speed regardless of the actual distance.

will I need to change the provider? I currently have two lines - one AAISP(btw) and other Pulse8(TTB).

Not many service providers currently offer FTTP, see https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

AAISP have recently started offering FTTP, and are limiting speeds to 160/30 for now. See: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/uk-isp...

Prices will go up sharply when they turn this on I assume?

Not necessarily. Firstly, you are not forced to migrate - you can stay on FTTC as long as you like. Secondly, the price will depend on the service you take. If you take a 80/20 service over FTTP, the cost will be broadly in line with 80/20 FTTC - except that you will get the full speed as if you were right next to the cabinet. With AAISP you should end up paying the same for FTTP 80/20 as FTTC. If you want 160/30 service then I think it's an extra £10/month.

AAISP normally has a £100 setup and 12 month contract for a new FTTP service, but I don't know what they'll charge for a regrade of existing customer.

Note: if you want *two* separate FTTP services, I don't know how this will be delivered. OR used to install a multi-port ONT, but not any more. Maybe you'll end up with two separate ONTs and fibres.
Standard User candlerb
(member) Wed 29-Aug-18 08:45:47
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Actually, your price may go down by £5/month as you no longer need the copper pair smile

https://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-18 08:58:01
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Hi
Wow lots of info, I cannot wait,
Thank you for all this. looking at the list I think speed we get will be price driven as those packages seem very expensive.
I have contacted Pulse8 who cannot provide, awaiting response from Cix. may just go back to BT.
this is fantastic, I wonder how much this will add to value of houses here as the 5 meg broadband used to put people off.
thanks again
K
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Aug-18 10:04:52
Print Post

How much downloading do you expect, as the AA allowances on Home::1 are good enough for a lot of people without needed to go for the 2 Terabyte option.

Iím on the FTTC 80/20 200GB and as I typically only use around 50GB that means with their cumulative 50% rollover I start most months with over 350GB available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-18 11:04:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi
thank you for your response. The AAISP line we currently have is the £60 tb one, we use maybe 100 -200gig,
I spoke with CIX about my other line and they told me no way would this be FTTP where I am and it would be totally unprecedented as FTTC is already available in area.
The engineers yesterday told me it was and equipment on pole looks identical to the video in earlier post so I think he is wrong.
<u son uses the AAISP line and I believe he will keep that so my line will need a new provider, however, is the fast FTTP is so expensive I wonder if I stay on FTTC I will at least get far better speeds.
Many thanks
K
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to