General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 12-Sep-18 21:39:53
Print Post

FTTP coming before christmas?

[link to this post]

As GF was leaving the house today she encountered a chap resting (his clipboard?) on our bin which was on side of road. On asking he said he was surveying for internet to come up our road (she's not very into tech, so I guess it was fibre), it was to come underground to pole then up the pole, this is also how our copper comes. We already have FTTC but at a measly 4MB, so this must be extension from cabinet to get us up to 'superfast', I'm not sure if this would be FTTP going overhead from pole, or FTTPoD with a 'pod' on the pole.
Apparently he works for a sub contracted company to Openreach, and he said we should expect the work to be done prior to Christmas, I asked her if it was Kelly but she couldn't recall who it was but didn't think it was Kelly. She could however tell me all about where he lived and his journey this morning! We all have our different interests wink

So what do we think? FTTP or FTTPoD? is Christmas likely?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Sep-18 22:25:23
Print Post

Re: FTTP coming before christmas?

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Not wishing to cast aspersions, but FTTPoD isnít what you are describing ....

Fibre to remote node isnít happening.

Might be FTTP though ..... cross everything.

Standard User candlerb
(member) Wed 12-Sep-18 22:38:55
Print Post

FTTP and FTTPoD are the same technology. In both cases, the fibre runs right the way into your house. If there's a "pod" on the pole, it's just a passive distribution point, somewhere to allow the fibre to be joined.

The difference between FTTP and FTTPoD is who pays and when it's installed.

In the first case, OpenReach might have decided to deploy FTTP along your own whole street, at their own expense. This is possible, especially if you're in one of the cities that OR has flagged as "Fibre First".

In the second case, one of your neighbours has shelled out a load of cash to get FTTPoD installed. If so, and you're on exactly the same distribution point (e.g. served by the same pole) then you may be lucky and find that FTTP is available to you afterwards. This scenario is very unlikely, since only 20 FTTPoD services are delivered per month across the whole UK.

In both cases, if and when it becomes available, you'll still have to place an order for FTTP. Your existing FTTC will not be replaced automatically. If you do nothing, you'll just remain on your 4M copper.

When you place an order for FTTP, an engineer will come and run the final length of fibre into your house (drilling through the wall if necessary) and install the Optical Network Termination box which the fibre ends on, and which your router will plug into (with a copper ethernet cable).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 12-Sep-18 22:42:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Bit of brain fade there, yes should have been FTTrN, but if that's been shelved then it must be FTTP, although how that will work out being a TalkTalk customer I don't know, what's the odds will still have to wait until contract runs out which won't be that far short of 2020 when I'd be asking for 10MB+ anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Sep-18 23:44:39
Print Post

How it will work as a talktalk customer?

Simple - unless TalkTalk start to sell the gea-fttp service you will need to switch providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(member) Thu 13-Sep-18 08:29:21
Print Post

If you've just signed up to a two-year contract with TT then that's bad luck. You can either buy yourself out, or keep them as a backup connection until the contract runs out.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 13-Sep-18 13:21:33
Print Post

Talktalk don't sell OpenReach FTTP yet.
If you just signed up to 1 of their 18/24 month contracts you may be stuck.

They have started selling G.Fast recently and as Sky have just announced they are to sell FTTP/G.Fast from OpenReach then it may not be long till Talktalk jump on the FTTP bandwagon.

Your copper line will remain in place.
Fibre will be ran to the top of the pole where they will put a fibre DP (distribution point).
There is no automatic upgrade to fibre and only those who order a compatible FTTP service will have the final piece of fibre installed from the pole top to property.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 13-Sep-18 13:22:01)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Sep-18 13:30:27
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
This scenario is very unlikely, since only 20 FTTPoD services are delivered per month across the whole UK.

And that now OR have asked CPs from 20th September to hold back on any new orders as there has "excessive demand" for the service exceeding their resources could mean an even longer wait if that was to happen.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Sep-18 14:51:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

At least it tells Openreach (and BT Group) the old adage. Supply can create demand.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68260/12818Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 13-Sep-18 14:52:44)

Standard User burble
(member) Thu 13-Sep-18 21:43:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Talktalk don't sell OpenReach FTTP yet.
If you just signed up to 1 of their 18/24 month contracts you may be stuck.

They have started selling G.Fast recently and as Sky have just announced they are to sell FTTP/G.Fast from OpenReach then it may not be long till Talktalk jump on the FTTP bandwagon.

At beginning of year BT and BDUK indicated there would be quite some time before my line might be upgraded, so when in march a good deal was available from TT I signed up to a 18 month deal, if the work is completed by chrismas that will leave 9 months of contract, but what are the odds of them doing work on time.

Fingers crossed the Sky deal will have TT getting onboard with BT FTTP, although with the 'new' CEO I think short term profits are taking presidance over long term.
  Print Thread

Jump to