General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 12:33:07
Print Post

FTTP Migration - My Experience

[link to this post]

Just been reading the Sky FTTP thread and thought I would add my 2 pence regarding my experience on how Openreach handle FTTP migrations at present.

In recent weeks, I performed a FTTP migration from BT to Zen (in light of the recent price increase I got out of my existing BT contract) and in my experience, the whole migration was completely mis-managed by Openreach.

I placed my order with Zen and got told I needed an engineer appointment (even though I already had a 1-port ONT installed). I disputed this with Zen saying surely this is a simple migration, who say there is only one system for booking and is down to the Openreach system to flag as a migration and them to manage. Engineer booked for the following week on an AM appointment.

2x Openreach engineers in 2x vans turn up mid afternoon (unfortunately I had to pop out, hence why I had booked an AM appointment) - saw them both on my CCTV.

Engineer re-booked for following week, again 2x engineers in 2x vans turn up. One of the engineers was the same one that had installed my original connection 4 months prior, let out a deep sigh and said that it was a complete waste of time and their booking systems need sorting out (and happens more often than not). Scanned the serial number on my ONT and within a couple of minutes the migration was finished.

Whilst the fibre migration was in progress, I was unable to port my telephone number across to Zen until the fibre migration was complete, and then in turn I was unable to cancel my fibre connection with BT until my line had finished porting across, so ended up having a 4 week overlap of fibre services even though I only had 1x fibre port active (as only have the single port ONT) and had to pay accordingly. Just got told by BT that that's the way their system works, they are unable to cancel one service until the other is complete.

All in all, based on my experience, if Openreach are to roll out FTTP en-masse (and even more so with the potential influx of Sky customers) they need to look into their current systems as they cant keep sending out teams of engineers to perform migrations. They also need to look at a way to simultaneously migrate both fibre and telephony services - in hindsight I wish I had changed to a VOIP provider rather than using the existing copper line.

Have gone from the 80/20 service with BT which used to dip in throughput in the evening, to the 150/30 service from Zen which I can consistently get max throughput 24/7. And to top it off, Zen's customer services have been fantastic throughout
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Sep-18 16:25:12
Print Post

Re: FTTP Migration - My Experience

[re: Rushmere2012] [link to this post]

This is immature back end IT systems issue, which will get sorted out. Question is how before it does and how many further issues arise.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 14-Sep-18 18:39:57
Print Post

Re: FTTP Migration - My Experience

[re: Rushmere2012] [link to this post]

This does not surprise me at all. Reminds me of when the second engineer visit to connect the fiber to the ONT was booked before the first engineer appointment to install the fiber up to the property and many other mess ups. I had an engineer from Peterborough arrive to do my final connection at exactly the same time as my next door neighbor had an engineer arrive from London to do their final connection.
With that sort of thing (another near neighbor had five engineers arrive at the same time for their install!) and the fact that engineers do not appear to have their own dedicated number to ring in if they have to so they have to join the queue along with everybody else, Openreach must waste millions. The last time I had an engineer out he had to wait an hour before he could speak to anyone!
They need to overhaul the whole system, if I was a shareholder I would be asking questions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to