General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 14:46:14
Print Post

CFP vs FTTPod deployment methods

[link to this post]

Hi,

After getting the desktop quote back at >39k plus vat naturally. I'm registered with the CFP and canvassing local residents to gauge interest.

We are old smallholdings strung along single track roads, i think i know where the AG point is , i do know where our two nearest cabinets for FTTC are, The desktop quote gave 1 other passed.

If we have enough support to continue withthe CFP does anyone know how these tend to be installed ?

I cant see them running fibre to each house and repeatedly daisy chaining along as they go so i guess they have to run out a certain distance then run fibres backwards along the same route to the properties passed if that makes sense the way i put it.

Has anyone here had experience of a fibre install in this kind of situation, for example someone on native WBC fttp

Thing is the wider i cast the net for addresses to be potentially included the more i feel the costs will sky rocket but i dont want to see people excluded. Its not helpfull that the CFP dont seem much interested in talking before you supply them with addresses.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 14-Sep-18 15:10:49
Print Post

Re: CFP vs FTTPod deployment methods

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

Agg Node ----- Splitter <==== DP< ----- Home

Each point can branch out if needed. Each DP will go back to a Splitter.

FTTP is installed the same way for WBC-FTTP, FTTPoD and CFP.

Some very rural FTTC cabinets don't have Agg Nodes so may need fed right from the fibre head-End.

edit: FTTPoD desktop quotes assume worst case scenario of local network records are poorly kept. In most cases the survey quote is considerably less. Digging roads is by far the largest expense at about £112 per meter ish. Don't have the figure to hand.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 14-Sep-18 15:14:39)

Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 17:06:38
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Ok so in all likely hood they would just be installing more splitters along the route than they would have if it was a FTTPod order to service the required number of DP.

Once you turn up the single lane roads here there are no ducts, all the current cabling is direct buried up to each property gateway then some are on poles for the final run others are again buried.

Theres little in the way of troublesome Civils costs along the way , its going to be very much the length of the run.

Think i'm just going to write off the costs of the survey and get it done, If nothing else it'll give me something to compare to what comes back from the CFP guys.

Hey ho, or i could wait till 2033, (or 2021 if you believe the SNP) /cough.
.Gary

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(member) Sat 15-Sep-18 09:27:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swac3:
so in all likely hood they would just be installing more splitters along the route than they would have if it was a FTTPod order to service the required number of DP.

They can't daisy-chain splitters: each one introduces significant optical loss.

Someone from OR can explain how this is typically installed. They might run a separate fibre cable from each DP back to the splitter (each cable carrying enough fibre strands to serve the properties on that DP); or they might run a multi-tube breakout cable where they can pull out a tube full of fibres as it passes each DP.

Either way, each property has its own fibre back to the splitter. One splitter can serve 32 properties. If more than 32 properties take up FTTP service, then they'll have to add more splitters. Each splitter is lit by its own OLT port at the fibre head-end.

In reply to a post by Swac3:
Once you turn up the single lane roads here there are no ducts, all the current cabling is direct buried up to each property gateway

That's a shame: pulling new fibre cables through existing ducts would be a lot quicker (and hence cheaper) than laying new ducts, or digging and burying additional cables. Unless the ducts are blocked of course smile
Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-18 10:05:23
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Ahh, right. Thanks.

Just got to wait and see what comes back from CFP,

Gary
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-18 12:16:48
Print Post

What is installed for FTTPoD is identical to what is installed for a CFP that is delivered by FTTP

The difference is the scale, i.e. FTTPoD may only see on DP get the final manifold installed, but the splitters will be installed in the same way as if this was a native FTTP roll-out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Mon 17-Sep-18 14:45:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So does that mean if one property orders FTTPoD and another nearby on a different DP later does the same the quote could be rather less as they would only need to install fibre from the splitter rather than all the way back to the AN?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Sep-18 15:27:19
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

All depends on how the original FTTPoD was costed, what I've been told is that the FoD order is not paying for all the hardware, so seems some of the costs of splitter and back to the aggregation node would still appear on a subsequent FTTPoD order that was on a DP that was not enabled as part of the FTTPoD

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(member) Mon 17-Sep-18 17:26:02
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

When my installation is completed, I'll get one of my neighbours on a different DP to put in for a desktop quote. But that's still a few months away.
Standard User olicuk
(member) Mon 17-Sep-18 18:29:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
All depends on how the original FTTPoD was costed, what I've been told is that the FoD order is not paying for all the hardware, so seems some of the costs of splitter and back to the aggregation node would still appear on a subsequent FTTPoD order that was on a DP that was not enabled as part of the FTTPoD

That's an interesting one... I presumed it was mostly labour cost of the FTTPoD orders that gets passed on, and less the properties passed discount, that would cover all of the work needed. For me I'm 99% sure it would need only a 300m 4port CBT installed in the existing duct to get FTTP after the recent BDUK deployment which included a DP about 10m from mine... so splitters and fibre back to the AG node all in place already. If I were to order then I'd only be expecting to be quoted for this fairly simple install of the CBT to the splitter.... not part paying for the infrastructure in place to the exchange.

And would BDUK and FTTPoD equally come under the same category of non-commercial if this part-payment process exists...?

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) bqm | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to