General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kencoman
(newbie) Sun 23-Sep-18 13:11:27
Print Post

Sharing of fibre installations by other providers?

[link to this post]

Am I right in thinking that after the Gigaclear fibre is installed for a year, they have to open it up to all the different service providers to use?

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-18 13:48:19
Print Post

Re: Sharing of fibre installations by other providers?

[re: kencoman] [link to this post]

Where had you heard that ?

Standard User kencoman
(newbie) Sun 23-Sep-18 15:13:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Just a rumour on village Facebook page. Gigaclear is digging up all the roads locally to lay fibre. Not sure many people will take their service when it is eventually activated since they charge so much for broadband alone.

It would be crazy if another company has to lay their own fibre sometime in the future. Can anyone comment on rural broadband rollout, preferably specific to Essex? I would like to imagine that other providers could use Gigaclear's fibre at some point, in the same way third parties can pay to use BT lines.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Sep-18 16:11:11
Print Post

Gigaclear has wholesale arrangements from day 1 but usually more suited to business use

Unlikely to ever have Sky or TalkTalk using the Gigaclear lines for example

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Sep-18 16:16:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Comcast?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68038/12542Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User candlerb
(member) Sun 23-Sep-18 16:19:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by kencoman:
in the same way third parties can pay to use BT lines.

More precisely: any licensed operator (including BT) can pay to use Openreach lines.

There's no requirement for Gigaclear or Virgin Media to provide wholesale access to other operators on their infrastructure.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Sep-18 16:20:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Will be writing about Comcast/Sky on Monday, but short - don't expect any big broadband changes for a good year or more.

It will not see them selling Gigaclear services, if anything beyond the already known selling of Openreach GEA-FTTP,G.fast I would expect their own FTTP roll-out, a FTTP service with UHD TV packages lock in has potential to be a big money spinner

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Sep-18 16:30:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or even a straight purchase. Though that might not be allowed on the grounds of decreasing competition. Woodford bid for them last year.

How about Comcast buying VM? That wouldn't reduce competition.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 68038/12542Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User candlerb
(member) Sun 23-Sep-18 17:04:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How about Comcast buying VM? That wouldn't reduce competition.

With Comcast owning Sky, surely it would reduce competition very significantly in the Pay TV sector?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Sep-18 18:09:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by kencoman:
Am I right in thinking that after the Gigaclear fibre is installed for a year, they have to open it up to all the different service providers to use?
No, but from day one there are alternative suppliers who you could use. Personally I prefer to pay Gigaclear as they themselves are responsible for my service. I also have a service which is no longer shown on their price list.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to