General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rdyer91
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-18 11:02:32
Print Post

FTTC capacity increase, work keeps being delayed

[link to this post]

I recently moved into a property within a newish development (around 5 years). I noted when I moved in there was no availability for FTTC from the BT "dslchecker" checker tool so went with BT Broadband Unlimited. About two weeks after moving in I noticed the checker had started showing FTTC was "available" so I immediately phoned BT and requested an upgrade. This was done at the beginning of September and I was given an activation date of Mon 24 Sep 2018.

On that date, nothing happened besides the connection dropping for around 10 minutes and no contact by BT was attempted. After various discussions on the BT web chat, I was repeatedly promised calls but nothing happened and eventually, I phoned and was then given a new activation date of Fri 28 Sep 2018 which I was assured would not be delayed again. Nothing happened and again I was promised it would be completed on Mon 01 Oct 2018. Then it was again delayed to Wed 03 Oct 2018 and again nothing happened. I've since got a case manager in the UK who finally called on Thursday to apologise for the appalling lack of contact but she said she was unable, due to competition rules, to get any specific information from BT Openreach about what was going on and why activation kept being pushed back. References to adding capacity to the exchange and cabinet were used interchangeably and no one could tell me which was the issue.

I'm wondering if anyone here has access to more information about cabinet 63 on the Tottenham exchange and what work is really needing to be done. And if anyone has had similar stories and might have advice on who to chase for a realistic estimate for how long it might take to complete this work. The checker still shows FTTC as "Available" so it seems strange to me that this isn't really the case given that information elsewhere on this forum suggests it should be on "Waitlist".

https://pasteboard.co/HH1EXHg.png
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 05-Oct-18 22:16:22
Print Post

Re: FTTC capacity increase, work keeps being delayed

[re: rdyer91] [link to this post]

I've since got a case manager in the UK who finally called on Thursday to apologise for the appalling lack of contact but she said she was unable, due to competition rules, to get any specific information from BT Openreach about what was going on and why activation kept being pushed back

What utter nonsense.
OpenReach can't favour BT in any way.
They can and do tell their ALL their customers (the ISP's, i.e BT) the reasons for delays etc.

My BT case manager was excellent as passing on the OpenReach notes to me. Often he would call me and notice there was no new updates on his notes so would put me on hold while calling OpenReach to check for updates.

I'd be pushing the case manager for an update from OpenReach. Tell them you've never heard so much nonsense in all your life and to put you through to someone who isn't pulling fiction straight out of thin air.

Cabinet still shows as available. Have you noticed if your FTTC cabinet has had an HD upgrade?

It looks like this on the larger Huawei cabinets.
https://ibb.co/iNjJte

Notice the small addition on the right making the cabinet a few inches wider.
Standard User rdyer91
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-18 10:26:13
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I've chased them a bit more and have spoken to another case manager. There still seems to be huge confusion as to whether it's an upgrade within the exchange or within the cabinet as I've been told both are the case by my original case manager but the new case manager back up my suspicion which was that it was the cabinet. The cabinet does have a slight extension on the side but not that wide, the extension on the end of the cabinet is slightly rounded on the edges and doesn't quite extend to the bottom of the cabinet. I'm giving them another couple of days as the new case manager suggested that having short update times (less than 3 days generally) was indicative of a short amount of work needing to be done by Openreach and his case notes suggested it was just an additional card to be added to the cabinet so fingers crossed there is space for it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 15-Oct-18 12:56:11
Print Post

[re: rdyer91] [link to this post]

I too would reckon it's a cabinet issue. Hopefully will be resolve in the next couple of days.
  Print Thread

Jump to