General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Martin1234
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-18 14:14:43
Print Post

New Build in SE13 5FN

[link to this post]

I've been given pre-notice of the completion of my new flat and I was told that would come with FTTP.

When I try isp broadband checkers all they can offer is the slowest form of ADSL sub 10mbit/s, when I try the BT Wholesale checker using the address checker some of the addresses have a set of numbers following them. One of the numbers is repeated so I assume this is the building and the next number works for the UPRN and then the final code starting with an A.

Using the UPRN I get

Exchange LEE GREEN is served by Cabinet 26

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 77.5 20 19 70.5 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 74 20 19 66 Available Available
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --

using just the post code gives only

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -

Does this confirm that FTTP isn't actually installed, as I assume most places have FTTPoD?

Martin
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 14:24:07
Print Post

Re: New Build in SE13 5FN

[re: Martin1234] [link to this post]

Is it a new build? If so then the address checkers probably don't have the flat in them yet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-18 14:24:53
Print Post

To avoid confusion Fibre on Demand is NOT what you are looking for, if FTTP was installed it would be saying WBC FTTP e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt...

The developer will know if its FTTP that is actually being installed as they will have Openreach installing the fibre, rather than copper i.e. most new build that is FTTP is JUST FTTP i.e. no ADSL2+ services at all.

The checkers can be a bit confused until people have actually moved in, so search out at a flat that actually has a resident in it.

Another possibility is that the FTTP is via another operator like Hyperoptic.

NOTE: The VDSL2 estimate is right for the location of where cabinet 26 is.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 15-Oct-18 17:03:49
Print Post

Can you arrange a visit, if so check for the ONT with (hopefully) lights on.

If no ONT look for a telephone socket.

The BT Wholesale result is odd in that it gives FTTPoD but no VDSL, and the whole postcode looks like a new development of 86 dwellings all with the same result. Is it 16 new 5 flat blocks and 2 3 flat blocks?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-18 17:49:50
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Sometimes for new build until the copper line that is in place goes live you don't get a FTTC estimate

Most new build that is FTTP is fibre only i.e. no copper phone line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-18 18:41:24
Print Post

Could it be that the developer has asked for FTTP from a non-Openreach based provider ......

Ask the developer.

Standard User Martin1234
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-18 19:10:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've asked the developer (marketing people really) and it was like talking to a wall that getting my internet connected was my responsibility when I asked if Open Reach had completed their work, as I needed to get the internet turned on before I needed to book a move in date.

On the bt wholesale checker, some of the floors are missing and some don't have UPRNs and I don't remember all the numbers after my address when I looked a couple of weeks ago.

The only place which likes the postcode is Hyperoptic, so maybe they have a deal but they only show one of the other developer's buildings on their coverage map (River Mill One) which is very close to Brick Kiln One 10-20 metres.
Standard User Martin1234
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-18 19:25:03
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

The development is 21 storeys, with top 2 floors with 3 flats and the rest 5. Which is a nightmare if it's plain old unshielded copper running together in the trunking.

I only get details by copying the UPRN which is the second number after the address when you search via the address checker with only filling out the postcode.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-18 19:40:25
Print Post

Hyperoptic like it? As in their FTTP service is available, in which case that would be the FTTP option to go for

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Oct-18 20:04:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Martin1234:
The only place which likes the postcode is Hyperoptic, so maybe they have a deal but they only show one of the other developer's buildings on their coverage map (River Mill One) which is very close to Brick Kiln One 10-20 metres.
Do you really mean the bold bit? Which means a development by some other builder.

Or do you mean "the developer's other (new) building"? Which is in effect next door so would almost certainly have the same FTTP supplier contracted by the developer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to