General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sobeitjedi
(learned) Wed 17-Oct-18 16:25:37
Print Post

Slow Fibre Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi.
(apologies if this is in the wrong category)

I'm on fibre broadband but am getting slow speeds. Using a computer plugged with a LAN cable plugged into the router and running a speed test, I usually get a download speed of about 14mbps. My package is a 38mbps package, which is apparently the fastest available to me at my local exchange.

Can I do anything to improve my speed or is it just hoping that one day my local exchange is upgraded?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Oct-18 16:37:36
Print Post

Re: Slow Fibre Broadband

[re: sobeitjedi] [link to this post]

Iím guessing this is FTTC ?

Are you able to provide any stats from the modem/router ?

Can you describe whatís connected where and how in your property ? Extensions, filters, etc.

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 17-Oct-18 17:20:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by sobeitjedi:
I usually get a download speed of about 14mbps. My package is a 38mbps package, which is apparently the fastest available to me at my local exchange.

Is that TalkTalk broadband?

Could you run this test and post your result you don't need to put your postcode in just click "Run Test" twice. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Wed 17-Oct-18 17:21:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-18 17:22:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The 38 Mbps suggests the maximum speed on a 40/10 product and what was in the adverts, the most important part is what speed did the provider suggest you should get when going through the order process.

The reason being that the distance between the home the cabinet in the street that is providing the service is important, and if that small green cabinet is over 1 km away you will not see 38 Mbps type speeds, but if it is outside the front door you should.

Given the router stats as suggested by the other poster e.g. attenuation, connection speed and noise margin figures people can get an idea of things and advise accordingly.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-18 17:26:01
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

The need to click twice has gone (for now and went a couple of months ago), i.e. was to encourage people to enter a postcode.

With your postcode we can usually better identify the type of connection and also compare your results to others within the same region of the UK on the same type of broadband technology.

Also helps when doing analysis of what is wrong with a connection and doing manual checks for people, as can very quickly get an idea if the speeds are right or wrong for the expected distance to the green street cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Wed 17-Oct-18 18:06:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The need to click twice has gone (for now and went a couple of months ago), i.e. was to encourage people to enter a postcode.

Thanks. wink
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Oct-18 18:41:27
Print Post

What speed does your router say that it is connected at? In the case of FTTC it is the cable distance between your property and the cabinet that matters. Generally the link from the cabinet to an exchange is adequate but the backhaul from the exchange may be under configured. A common problem for unlucky Vodafone customers,

Michael Chare
Standard User sobeitjedi
(learned) Wed 17-Oct-18 20:10:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Iím guessing this is FTTC ?

Are you able to provide any stats from the modem/router ?

Can you describe whatís connected where and how in your property ? Extensions, filters, etc.

What stats would you like? My router is Asus RT-AC88U. The router is connected to a modem, modem goes into the master socket. No other phone sockets in the house in use.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Oct-18 20:14:33
Print Post

As Mr.S says, attention, downstream and upstream sync rates, SNR, error rates. These will, in your case, be from the modem.

The setup sounds OK.

Standard User sobeitjedi
(learned) Wed 17-Oct-18 20:15:26
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
In reply to a post by sobeitjedi:
I usually get a download speed of about 14mbps. My package is a 38mbps package, which is apparently the fastest available to me at my local exchange.

Is that TalkTalk broadband?

Could you run this test and post your result you don't need to put your postcode in just click "Run Test" twice. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

EE fibre broadband.
Here are the speed test results: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15398035485...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to