General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:01:55
Print Post

Have FTTPoD, can I cancel my landline?

[link to this post]

I have an FTTP on Demand (from Fluidone). We're using a SIP phone exclusively.
I have a BT landline which is delivered on a separate copper which was connected to my alarm. My alarm has been upgraded to signal over 3g and so I don't need the landline for anything any more.

Can I just cancel it without causing any problems? Will it cause me a problem if I want to switch to another provider at the end of my 3 years with fluidone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:18:43
Print Post

Re: Have FTTPoD, can I cancel my landline?

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

If fluidone don't mind you can cancel it...

As for three years time - just a case of finding a provider have to do data only

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:35:11
Print Post

Yes, you can cancel your voice over copper service without affecting your FTTPoD service - the two aren't linked since FTTPoD is sold as data only. I cancelled my voice service a year or so ago once and moved the number over to VOIP as I didn't want to lose my number. I pay just a few £ per month with yay.com

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:42:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If fluidone don't mind you can cancel it...

As for three years time - just a case of finding a provider have to do data only

Fluidone don't know anything about my landline... so I'm sure they wouldn't care. I actually get the BT discount for getting no broadband on my BT line smile
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:53:53
Print Post

If you wanted to keep your BT landline - and don't have any type of xDSL service on it - you may be able to get it at a reduced price as BT Retail's systems are unlikely to see you have a FTTPoD service wink

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Oct-18 22:24:09
Print Post

Cheaper still to just cancel it ?

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 18-Oct-18 18:58:28
Print Post

Have you guys really thought through the implications of giving your landline the elbow? Yep, VoIP is quite dandy but not all VoIP hosted suppliers support emergency services and those that do require you to register your installation address (with some doubt that really gets recorded) and then there is the reliability of your broadband service to contend with as it simply does not provide an always on service. Even with a duplication of ISPs, you canít always be sure that the internet will be there as you need a power supply which seems to be failing quite a bit lately.

For a £150 or so a year, I like to have the assurance that 999 will be there should I ever need it..
Standard User chris464
(newbie) Thu 18-Oct-18 19:26:33
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

As long as you can get any mobile signal at your house then I don't think it's a problem. You don't even need an active SIM, any working mobile will be able to dial the emergency services.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 18-Oct-18 20:13:35
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Welcome to 2018.

The ONT comes with a Battery Backup Unit so that emergency calls can be made over the fibre during a power cut.
This is the way the entire OpenReach network will make calls in a few years.

Any mobiles phone can call 999 with or without a SIM inserted.
Most new homes that come with full fibre don't have a copper line at all.

£150 a year just to have another way to call a number that has numerous free alternative methods of reaching it is a waste of that £150.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 18-Oct-18 20:36:47
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Welcome to 2018.

The ONT comes with a Battery Backup Unit so that emergency calls can be made over the fibre during a power cut.
This is the way the entire OpenReach network will make calls in a few years.

Any mobiles phone can call 999 with or without a SIM inserted.
Most new homes that come with full fibre don't have a copper line at all.

£150 a year just to have another way to call a number that has numerous free alternative methods of reaching it is a waste of that £150.

Para 1 Ė This is very true. And eventually the national network will be similarly 'protected'. But doesn't the battery backup only last at best 24 hours? Not all that great if the power outage lasts days if not weeks.

Para 2 - You wrongly assume that there is a nationwide mobile signal from at least one provider everywhere in the UK. If only that were true. Just because you don't have a copper line service is not the same thing as you can't have that service.

Para 3 - So any kind of insurance premium is a waste of money then?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to