General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 10:47:26
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Well I found two big BT trucks parked outside on the lane, the team are to here to install fibre from my gate to exchange. 2000m+ run that they are now working on, I take it as a good sign! Nice bunch of lads, their spare truck & fibre reel now parked in our carpark while the explore the route (welcome to the country)!

I only notified Openreach that I had finished my180m of ducting yesterday morning, so possibly scheduled in ahead of my completion as they are only doing to my gate.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 10:56:44
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
Well I found two big BT trucks parked outside on the lane, the team are to here to install fibre from my gate to exchange. 2000m+ run that they are now working on, I take it as a good sign! Nice bunch of lads, their spare truck & fibre reel now parked in our carpark while the explore the route (welcome to the country)!

I only notified Openreach that I had finished my180m of ducting yesterday morning, so possibly scheduled in ahead of my completion as they are only doing to my gate.

If you've ordered FTTPoD then Openreach will install fibre from your premises to the nearest fibre aggregation point, not to the exchange. Unless you've ordered a fibre leased line?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 04-Dec-18 11:18:27)

Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 12:41:37
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

All along they have stated it is being dragged back to the exchange. Is it possible this is the nearest Aggregation point? We are rural. Exchange is 2miles away. I have queried a couple of times as they put fibre to a new housing estate recently (1.25miles away). After that there is maybe 5 premises before you get to us.
They did send a technical update to state they had a planned reroute to avoid the high street but presumably just working round the edges of the high street rather than going down the hughstreet which is the shortest route.
Cheers
Dave.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cammy
(regular) Tue 04-Dec-18 12:58:26
Print Post

Interesting.

So for your £12.5k, am I right in saying what you got were parts & labour for 240m of new duct laid in the verge plus parts-only for 210m of duct which you self-installed, then parts & labour for about 2km of fibre (plus the usual baseline cost items)?

Edited by Cammy (Tue 04-Dec-18 13:20:41)

(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 13:01:07
Print Post

It might be that your nearest agg node is close to the exchange but your line will still connect to an agg node.

Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 14:08:41
Print Post

Yup pretty much.
£12.5k+VAT (reclaimed) less grant at £3000, so I forked out just less £10k.
- parts for my dig, plus their labour to connect my duct to their ground box.
- 242m of duct (according to roadworks.org) laid by contractor
- then there is existing ducting laid for about 1-mile to the edge of town that won't have been touched for a while. They carry the risk on this and would need roping and inner duct laying according to survey (see below).
- then a further 1-mile back to the exchange which is where they say it is running to. Acknowledging that it may be connected to Ag node in the vicinity of the exchange.

In the country the drawings don't match reality (which resulted in my phone line being cut last year as it was on the other side of the road to everyone else!)
I would add that since it was surveyed they have spent weeks in town running fibre for the new housing estate which is on the route. This may have partially cleared my route.
Some other work related to wayleaves since survey also meant they had already moled a duct under my tarmac road/entrance way which previously wasn't ducted. This would have been on my list.
The team on the ground currently believe there are 2 spare inner ducts in a 4-way from neighbours but they aren't scheduled to use this for some reason. The have said they could blow fibre down this from 240m away from me.

They carry the risk on blocked ducts which is possible. 'We' cut the verges in enormous tractors and trample all over them in heavy goods vehicles. I won't feel out of the woods till this whole lot is rodded and roped back to town.

Distance to exchange is roughly 2.5miles by shortest route on road.

Don't suppose I'll a refund!
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 14:55:26
Print Post

Ah the joys of living in the countryside!

But seriously, you got a good deal from Openreach for a rural FTTPoD install albeit with you having to do a bit of the digging. Most people would get eye watering build costs in rural areas (for obvious reasons).

Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 16:12:18
Print Post

Thanks Frogmella
The cost seemed reasonable to me given the effort. They knew some of the works were in the pipeline, as housing estates don't pop up over night and I suspect they may already have rodded and roped everything bar our lane (1/2 mile) due to other villages being online. There is a SuperFastNorthYorkshire fund so a lot of effort going on locally, I did speak to them but with just 3 houses on a 3/4 mile dead end road we won't make it on their list anytime soon.
I volunteered my dig as it goes through the middle of the main guest lawn. Didn't want an unmotivated contractor doing it at a cost/m. We stripped turf with a turf cutter, dug channel, refilled, lightly compacted with tractor, and gardener is today levelling/top dressing, and replacing turf. Plus local digger driver will be cheaper!
Looking forward to it, hopefully no more complaints from guests on wi-fi speeds!
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:23:19
Print Post

As the job progresses I get more and more greedy. I know they run multiple fibres to the premises, is it possible once installed to have a second ONT installed using one of the other fibres with a second FFTP connection?
We run two broadband connections currently (Openreach and WISP) so dual bandwidth is something we are used to.
The exchange states LLUs available are Sky & TalkTalk. Could I stick one on Sky, we have all the channels and they will not add much to the package to add broadband. If Cerberus was taken down by missile strike would the Sky option remain up?
Fully understand that the weakest link would be the fibre cable back to Agg Node which if damaged would wipe out both. But sky offer me broadband at £5-£10/month. If that was 80/20 it would add a lot of resiliency to main 330/30 for not a lot of extra beans. I know that 330 is lot and that I am being greedy just interested. As we run holiday cottages It might also make sense to split home/guest networks (currently VLANs) and using two connections would separate us entirely. My streaming wouldn't be affected by guests and vice versa.
Presumably I couldn't order a second FTTP connection now as it shows FTTP not available, and it would force me down ADSL route.
Cheers
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:25:07
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Today OpenReach have started running the fibre cable through the ducting from the AG node for my FTTPoD order so hopefully not too long now before installation is complete.

Awesome, I think that is where I am with mine. It is great to see progress - keep us posted.

Dear Santa, for Christmas please can I have super fast!

Edited by F00tS0re (Tue 04-Dec-18 17:56:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to