General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Dec-18 14:49:10
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Alternatively, like i did, you may get fibre blown from the DP to your premises which is usually 4 fibre strands in 1 tube - this will terminate at a Customer Splice Point (CSP) outside. From there they splice 1 fibre strand to a lead-in fibre cable which terminates at the ONT. The remaining 3 fibre strands are kept as spares in the CSP all nicely coiled up. TBH i don't think you will need any of the 3 spares as the single live fibre strand supports at least 4 FTTP lines.

Did they push/pull the fibre tube through the duct first then blow the 4 fibre strands down the fibre tube afterwards or did they blow them all through together?

Not 100% sure as I didn't watch them do it but I believe they first put in the black/yellow tubing in the duct and then the fibre was blown in. The Distribution Point (DP) is only 20-30m away with relatively new ducts so it was quite an easy job for Openreach.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User dect
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-18 15:24:48
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
54mm

Sorry for all the questions, what depth did they ask you to bury the duct (350mm, 600mm or something else)
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-18 15:30:13
Print Post

No problem, they didn't. They just pointed me towards the Openreach specification for self install. This states 300mm but to be honest 12inches is a spade depth and within reach [of some tractor implements] so most of the trench is 18inches deep except in a couple of areas where it was really tough going and is only 300mm. Marked location and depths on site plan! Most of the 300mm depth is under a path that will be relaid when it stops raining so not worried about damage there.
They also didn't notify me of any deliveries, just an HGV on your doorstep asking to unload! Or confirm the ground box I was aiming at. Don't expect any help, confirmation or reassurance. None of this bothered me, just something to be aware of.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-18 16:48:45
Print Post

200m run possibly excludes pre made connecterised install from DP.

There are 350m connectorised reels available on special order ... very unlikely to be blown fibre to the CSP. DP to ONT in one go.

You should get a ‘pre visit’ before the actual install, explain then about the length required and that should help iron out issues on the day.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-18 16:59:40
Print Post

The fibre is blown through the tubing. You’d need one helluva compressor to blow the tubing through the duct.

Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-18 17:45:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The fibre is blown through the tubing. You’d need one helluva compressor to blow the tubing through the duct.

Especially as in in my case it is in sections and therefore not airtight!
Rod, rope, then pull inner duct through. Then blow fibre seems to be the methodology.
Standard User dect
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-18 17:47:03
Print Post

That's the first thing that crossed my mind that why I thought I would get clarity.
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-18 17:58:39
Print Post

200m run possibly excludes pre made connecterised install from DP.

There are 350m connectorised reels available on special order ... very unlikely to be blown fibre to the CSP. DP to ONT in one go.

You should get a ‘pre visit’ before the actual install, explain then about the length required and that should help iron out issues on the day.

They know the length, and plenty visits so far.
We normally pop out and say hello and offer parking and tea. Had an Openreach wagon parked all day yesterday as there is not much room in the lane, previously stored diggers, trailers etc during day and overnight for groundworks. Seemingly not much progress today, they have spent most of the day with the wagon on the next lane down, probably half-mile of road and there most the day. But if they get that bit done then home and dry.

Although they may as well stick the DP in my greenhouse as 0.25mile ish to next neighbours either way so not sure the DP will benefit anyone other than me if longest connectorised reel is 350m (definitely won't reach).
Starts thinking about fibre direct to each cottage!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-18 20:00:51
Print Post

They know the length, and plenty visits so far.

But I I suspect not by anyone who might add useful notes for the installer.

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:09:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
Starts thinking about fibre direct to each cottage!

You've clearly got all the skills for running the ducts from your server room to the properties! smile

I can make some suggestions for connecting it up if you like - Campus Networking is one of my things.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to