General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-18 11:05:42
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: radii] [link to this post]

Current FTTPoD/FTTP installations all come with the newer single LAN port ONTs. I guess you could ask the engineer on the day if he has a spare 4 port ONT in the van but I imagine chances are slim. If you wanted an additional fttp service on a single port ONT then i guess you would need a new fibre run & ONT.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 09-Nov-18 11:06:30)

Standard User radii
(learned) Fri 09-Nov-18 11:15:21
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
If they don't install multi-port ONTs any more then I'm going to ask them to pull two fibres from the DP.

I'm going ahead, though I'm being told it may be from 3 month to 1 year for installation to be completed. I clearly would prefer 4port ONT, if I request them to pull two fibres to the property, could they say no as only provisioned for one?
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-18 11:18:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I would like to know the answer about the ONTs as well, as I'm in the same situation as you.

If they don't install multi-port ONTs any more then I'm going to ask them to pull two fibres from the DP.

On my non-connectorised install they brought a total of 4 fibre strands to the external CSP, ie one in use and three spares nicely coiled up in the csp trays. However I’m not sure if they can do the same on connectorised installs, I think that’s one for Zarjaz to answer smile

Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:23:52
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yes BF, the single port ONT is the weapon of choice now.

Provisioning of two services to a four port is, in my experience, extremely rare. The systems are just not geared up to do it.

If you have a connectorised install, then that’s a single fibre only, as it goes to one specified port on the CBT.

The other posters suggesting they would ask for two fibres to be pulled in are, I suspect, going to get a polite no.

Whether the Openreach bod has a four port in their van ... luck of the draw really.
The ‘fresh meat’ being skilled up at present are shown and kitted out for connectorised and nothing else, no splicer, nuttin’. Punters want it cheap, there’s an easy cost saving, less training, £2500 an engineer saved for not carrying one.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:25:56
Print Post

Don't forget that once you have the FTTPoD, a second supply should be the standard FTTP price.

Edit: As long as your neighbours haven't snaffled all the spare ports on the DP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 09-Nov-18 12:28:11)

(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:34:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz.

Other than having a few spare fibre strands, is there any advantage of having blown/spliced fibre instead of a connectorised fibre install? Btw love your description of new recruits as "fresh meat" lol

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 09-Nov-18 12:37:26)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:36:31
Print Post

[re: radii] [link to this post]

radii

If you go ahead it would be best to state that you want 2 connections ( ie order 2 on a linked order) this should get you a 4 port ONT. There is meant to be a process to link orders but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:38:19
Print Post

Candlerb

See my reply to radii. link the two orders and place them at the same time.
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-18 12:55:58
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Candlerb

See my reply to radii. link the two orders and place them at the same time.

But I would have thought you could only place an order for an additional FTTP line (at native FTTP prices) once the Bt/Openreach checker starts showing ‘WBC FTTP’ which only happens a week or two before FTTPoD goes live.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-18 13:02:40
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Hmmm .....

I guess technically no. But I personally think it’s better.

For years I have had to hunt HR faults caused by failing crimps, seems to me that these connectorised blocks are going to be the ‘failing crimps’ of the future.

‘Dumbing down’ the network and those who maintain and operate it is only ever going to end sadly I reckon.

I could moan for ages (and usually do) but no, not a fan.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to