General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(member) Fri 09-Nov-18 17:26:34
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
See my reply to radii. link the two orders and place them at the same time.

I don't see how that's possible: I'd need to migrate my home service to FTTP (on PlusNet not Cerberus), but I won't be able to order this until the checker says FTTP available.

So the question is: if I simply let the FTTPoD install complete, and then place a second order for FTTP at the property, what's going to happen?

I am guessing that they'd pull a second fibre at that point and install second ONT. Or they could swap me to a multi-port ONT.

Otherwise they could say it's impossible to take a second service at the property - in which case I'll have to leave my home broadband on copper.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Nov-18 11:50:34
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Thinking about this further, you may not need another fibre run to the DP for additional circuits. Reason being that on my 4 port ONT, there is only 1 port for the fibre to go into so this suggests the same fibre strand would be used for additional FTTP lines if I were to order another line. So if this is correct, then i see no reason why the same cannot apply to a connectorised install - obviously you would need a 4 port ONT fitted from the outset or swapped over later on with your single port ONT.

If you are 100% sure that you will ordering an additional FTTP line later on, then you may want to buy a brand new 4 port ONT (such as this) in advance as there's no guarantee the Openreach Engineer will have a spare one on the day. Obviously Openreach will still need to activate the ONT, but if its genuine Openreach stock & never been registered by Openreach previously then it shouldn't be an issue. Also having a 4 port ONT installed from the beginning means you are unlikely to need further Engineer visits fo activate additional lines as this can be done remotely by Openreach.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 10-Nov-18 11:53:04)

Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Sat 10-Nov-18 12:23:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Single fibre into my 4 port ONT and got BT on port 1, Zen on port 2.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Nov-18 14:21:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Just a small correction ... as all else is, in theory, correct.

On the activation front, it only matters if that ONTís serial number has been previously registered to the same head end fibre

p.s. I do hope thatís not someone from Openreach being really dumb and flogging that shizzle on the bay of fleas. Not worth yer pension is it.

Edited by Zarjaz (Sat 10-Nov-18 14:25:33)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Nov-18 14:22:16
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

The interesting question, is how did you order these two ?

Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Sat 10-Nov-18 19:08:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thread is here ---- My 2nd connection

And a 2nd thread - 2nd thread

And pict of my ONT (from above thread) ONT 2 out of 4

TLDR; Called Zen, told them I had 4 port ONT with 1 BT connection, they sorted the rest.

Zarjaz - you posted in both those threads smile

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile

Edited by fredfox (Sat 10-Nov-18 19:24:11)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Nov-18 21:59:01
Print Post

Yep, I do recall, but couldnít remember your moniker.

Still a very rare beast though.

Standard User Blmcg
(learned) Sun 11-Nov-18 04:12:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The interesting question, is how did you order these two ?

This is actually very easy in the front-end and backend systems, you have to provide a port number in any sucessivve provide (existing ont) order.
In fact this is common where there is a service overlap, i.e. where EU has changed CP, or homemover scenarios; as cp-cp migration on the same port functionality wasn't added until very recently, so other ports tended to end up being used to provide service.
Only caveat is that only port 1 of the ONT supports multicast delivery, mainly only used for the TV services via BT Consumer, so we don't need to worry.

Most of this goes away with the 1+1 being standard, but we and others have voiced we would like the 4+2 to be an option on order, uptake is minimal, the fringe scenarios above will be tackled by the normal 10 day GPL process on the single live port.

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Nov-18 08:24:20
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

Thank you, that makes sense.

Standard User radii
(learned) Sun 11-Nov-18 10:57:12
Print Post

The question is how do i get this done myself?

Rang BT retail- not able to order FTTP service/ don't support FTTPOD
Cerebrus- not able to do 2 orders at same time for FTTPOD.

Any suggestions?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to