General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(member) Mon 19-Nov-18 17:51:43
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD desktop quotes and final prices

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

I also live in rural North Yorkshire and Morrisons Utilities came round our village just west of Harrogate last week preparing for the Phase 3 installation.
Please don't answer if you don't want to but where in Rural Yorkshire are you "ie" nearest town / city.

BTBroadband
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-18 17:58:46
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Pickering. North Yorkshire is a big spot! I had numerous conversations with SFNY (Super Fast North Yorkshire) and they were very helpful. The long and the short of it is we aren't on Phase 3, which I gleaned from SFNY standard info but also that with only 1 other property on our dead end lane it was unlikely that we would end up on the list for Phase 4 or Phase 5 if they get more money allocated. If I wanted it then FTTPoD was the only route.
Running a set of holiday cottages I now see Amazon Echo, Netflix devices, and games consoles on the network, and with 40 guests it is not that unusual to see 80 devices on their side of the network. Add that to 80 odd devices in our home and existing bandwidth can soon be gobbled up.
Standard User candlerb
(member) Mon 19-Nov-18 17:59:54
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Or tell us exactly, so we can book a holiday in the cottages once the fibre is in smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Nov-18 18:07:31
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Or tell us exactly, so we can book a holiday in the cottages once the fibre is in smile
Expanding on that, he could crowd-fund it at a day's free stay per £100. wink

(The logistics of fulfilling the promise could be complex!)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Nov-18 18:08:25)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Mon 19-Nov-18 18:16:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
Pickering. North Yorkshire is a big spot! I had numerous conversations with SFNY (Super Fast North Yorkshire) and they were very helpful. The long and the short of it is we aren't on Phase 3, which I gleaned from SFNY standard info but also that with only 1 other property on our dead end lane it was unlikely that we would end up on the list for Phase 4 or Phase 5 if they get more money allocated. If I wanted it then FTTPoD was the only route.
Running a set of holiday cottages I now see Amazon Echo, Netflix devices, and games consoles on the network, and with 40 guests it is not that unusual to see 80 devices on their side of the network. Add that to 80 odd devices in our home and existing bandwidth can soon be gobbled up.

Small world, I took a shooting party up Yatts Road in Pickering only last week and yes.. You are in the sticks. laugh

SFNY is a God send to me, Matt Roberts is looking after us and getting things moving.

Good luck my friend, I hope you are online very soon. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-18 11:30:14
Print Post

Didn't want to post a link on my first day as presume I would be blacklisted for advertising! We run a Draytek Router and load balance between 4MB on copper line and 15MB on radio based community WiFi. Some traffic limiting, routing and priority setting has kept us running successfully so far! We upgraded internal wifi to unifi this year with a AP in each cottage and backhaul using nanoobeams.
The upgrade to fibre is more with an eye on the future with streaming devices becoming more prevalent, bandwidth demands from customers is only going to go one way. We will also me able to advertise super fast to each cottage! And apart from the capital cost the ongoing cost is the same as we pay now for two services but 17 times as fast.
But the crowd funding comment isn't so far off the mark. Ultimately we have to attract customers. If we attract 1 more booking per month for 4-years then the cost is comfortably funded. 1-more booking seems doable, if it turns a click into a booking.
The bill is paid, and the guys are here again today digging trenches for the ducts, then TRRT, jointing, blowing, terminations and eventually I'll get there.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Nov-18 12:07:46
Print Post

That sounds brilliant!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Webbs
(learned) Thu 22-Nov-18 20:57:31
Print Post

If you're a business there's a £2500 gigabit voucher available.

Does being a sole trader with a UTR number registered at my address count for voucher scheme eligibility do you know plz?
Standard User candlerb
(member) Thu 22-Nov-18 22:43:46
Print Post

[re: Webbs] [link to this post]

Here are the terms and conditions.

If required to do so you must provide evidence of your status as a SME or sole trader.
Documentation we will accept includes: VAT registration; Charity Registration: HMRC
notification; sole trader UTR number; certification of incorporation (Limited Companies);
business bank account statement issued within the last three months; non-domestic rates
reference. Other documentation, such as business-related utility bills, may be acceptable in
special conditions if combined with other documentation.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 23-Nov-18 18:37:57
Print Post

[re: Webbs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Webbs:
If you're a business there's a £2500 gigabit voucher available.

Does being a sole trader with a UTR number registered at my address count for voucher scheme eligibility do you know plz?

I'd be surprised if a UTR number alone was enough. Your UTR number doesn't change. If you do 1 days work self employed you can get a UTR number from HMRC.

Even a general labourer on a construction site likely has a UTR number as more and more are forced in to "fake" self-employment.
I saw the mention of UTR in the t&c's some time ago but assumed more should be needed because of how easy a UTR is to get.

Though if you did get accepted with a UTR number alone then by all means report that back here. That would be a game changer for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to