General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(member) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:01:02
Print Post

From 1 Mb to 330Mb FTTP

[link to this post]

Is there anyone living out in Rural areas that had as little as 1Mb in the past and upgraded to high speed FTTP share their experience.

1: How far from the exchange do you live.

2: Was you told you would never get faster because of the distance from the exchange.

3: Hearing success stories still gives me hope.

I have been told by Superfast North Yorkshire that late 2018 early 2019 Phase 3 has been given the go-ahead and because I only get 1Mb I am one of many who have been put to the front of the queue for this work to go ahead.

My Postcode LS21 2LL

http://superfastnorthyorkshire.com/#tab-fttp-providers

BTBroadband
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:31:48
Print Post

Re: From 1 Mb to 330Mb FTTP

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

I installed a 330/50 at a business last week which was previously receiving 6meg

There is an area called Pishill outside Henley where ADSL does not work, and VDSL is touch and go too .... they can nowget FTTP.

Distance from the exchange has nothing to do with FTTP.

Standard User busterboy
(member) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:37:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I installed a 330/50 at a business last week which was previously receiving 6meg

There is an area called Pishill outside Henley where ADSL does not work, and VDSL is touch and go too .... they can nowget FTTP.

Distance from the exchange has nothing to do with FTTP.

When I look on CodeLook there is a Cabinet P11 and Exchange 13 with live surveys due by March - May 2019

What exactly are cabinet P11 and exchange 13 for the none educated like myself.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=8...

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:50:13
Print Post

Not au fait with Codelook myself, but P11 sounds like a cabinet number.

Someone will reveal all shortly I expect.

FTTP has nothing to do with cabinets or their infrastructure.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-18 21:24:12
Print Post

And is your postcode associated with cabinet P11 - if not then it is irrelevant - not FTTP does not require the creation or use of cabinets

The exchange and number is referring to a collection of exchange only lines

You are currently connected via cabinet 4 which is near Pool Bridge and has a VDSL2 twin, but is far to far away to get any VDSL2 speed

Whether FTTP is coming it is a case of wait and see, current plans can and do change so take any 'promises' as being subject to change without notice

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 00:59:14
Print Post

Well for my sins i live in a part of London (Surrey Docks) that still has nightmare broadband, 2mbit is not unusual and i used to get about 4, but bought some some of my own hardware and went over 4G for about 18 months but was also able to brag a FTTP install for my small block of 4 flats and went to 50mbits then up to 80mbits and i was told by some BT engineer about 3 years ago that we would be one of the last in the country to get it and maybe BT would not do it unless they were forced to by the Govt and here i am at 80mbit could do more but can't afford it.

Get in touch with the cheif exec of OpenReach, clive someone or other his email address is in the forum somewhere and just keep mailing the guy, be polite and explainto him and it would help you/family/neighbours etc, i got lucky and got him first time as say they just got the brush off but you have nothing to loose, as for CodeLook it still tells me i can't get fibre so bang oes that one, don't give it up it makes a huge difference when you can do 3 or 4 things at once, ask the wife she's always doing 4 things at once, something about multitasking but i didn't here her, i was busy playing pong and had to concentrate on that.

All1
Standard User dewi
(regular) Wed 07-Nov-18 16:59:09
Print Post

We went from 1.7 Mbps on ADSL to 310 Mbps on FTTP. Our village got upgraded to FTTP through the Wiltshire Online initiative (https://www.wiltshireonline.org/). It's made such a difference. We used to have to download movies overnight, whereas we can now watch HD on demand. Also, working from home is now a delight.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 17:27:11
Print Post

[re: dewi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dewi:
We went from 1.7 Mbps on ADSL to 310 Mbps on FTTP. Our village got upgraded to FTTP through the Wiltshire Online initiative (https://www.wiltshireonline.org/). It's made such a difference. We used to have to download movies overnight, whereas we can now watch HD on demand. Also, working from home is now a delight.

Loving reading success stories like this, Thank you dewi.

I have been told / confirmed from Matthew Roberts - Superfast North Yorkshire that work in our village (Phase 3) has been started and hopefully early 2019 we should be rolling via FTTP. Hopefully this is not tumbleweed just blowing adding to the wait.

http://superfastnorthyorkshire.com/#tab-fttp-providers

Each District Council in North Yorkshire is a member of the SFNY Engagement Group, which provides local support to the programme.
District Councils help promote superfast broadband to businesses and residents, including alternative broadband providers, providing access to business support opportunities, advice and grants. District Councils can be contacted as follows
Craven Andrew Laycock alaycock@cravendc.gov.uk 01756 706220
Hambleton Peter Cole peter.cole@hambleton.gov.uk 01609 767212
Harrogate Matthew Roberts matthew.roberts@harrogate.gov.uk 01423 500600 (ext number 51138)
Richmondshire Chloe Lewis chloe.lewis@richmondshire.gov.uk 01748 901038
Ryedale Jos Holmes jos.holmes@ryedale.gov.uk 01653 600666
Scarborough Kerry Levitt/Carol Tolley regeneration@scarborough.gov.uk 01723 232325
Selby Alex Dochery adochery@selby.gov.uk 01757 705101

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Wed 07-Nov-18 17:27:46)

Standard User B31
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 20:17:07
Print Post

I went from 1.4ish to 4Mbps ish (after many engineer visits) then six years later to 200 Mbps FTTP.

This is on the edge of a big city and not really described as rural.

BT wouldn’t put in FTTC as it wasn’t commercially viable, Virgin couldn’t install as the council wouldn’t let them.

A lot of pushing via my MP and I guess strategies changing meant eventually FTTP arrived.

I’ve started a few threads over the years on here if you want to see how bad it all was (probably best not to!)

Stay positive!

BT FTTP - Superfast Fibre 3 Unlimited. 205 Mbps down / 24 Mbps up.

New build estate that wasn’t given anything I’d call broadband. First four years 1.6 Mbps ADSL. Following two years, and after many openreach visits, 4.3 Mbps!
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 22:15:59
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by B31:
I went from 1.4ish to 4Mbps ish (after many engineer visits) then six years later to 200 Mbps FTTP.

This is on the edge of a big city and not really described as rural.

BT wouldn’t put in FTTC as it wasn’t commercially viable, Virgin couldn’t install as the council wouldn’t let them.

A lot of pushing via my MP and I guess strategies changing meant eventually FTTP arrived.

I’ve started a few threads over the years on here if you want to see how bad it all was (probably best not to!)

Stay positive!

Excellent B31 I am really pleased for you.

Trust me when I say I am sick of 14 years of super slow ADSL internet speeds (1Mb Down and half that upload) and trying to run my business along with pleasure is very difficult indeed.

I am super excited at the very thought of possibly playing a YouTube video at a decent resolution rather it buffering at 360p and having to wait while it catches up. frown

Glad you posted mate, This is what I wanted to hear, another success story thank you.. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User dewi
(regular) Fri 09-Nov-18 15:12:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Trust me when I say I am sick of 14 years of super slow ADSL internet speeds (1Mb Down and half that upload) and trying to run my business along with pleasure is very difficult indeed.

I am super excited at the very thought of possibly playing a YouTube video at a decent resolution rather it buffering at 360p and having to wait while it catches up. frown

I feel your pain. We were stuck on < 2 Mbps ADSL for years.

We'd have been happy to get FTTC, but FTTP is even better. Having been stuck with a slow ADSL connection for years, we went for the fastest package we could get, which is probably way more than we need. Our Sky Q viewing habits have completely changed. We now find it just as easy to watch video on demand as it is to watch recorded content. Before, we used to have to download programs overnight if we'd forgotten to record them. Web browsing just works, with no slowdowns when someone else is streaming or downloading. I find FTTP really good for working from home, as you can send and receive large attachments easily.

Good luck with your FTTP installation.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Fri 09-Nov-18 15:44:59
Print Post

[re: dewi] [link to this post]

We'd have been happy to get FTTC, but FTTP is even better. Having been stuck with a slow ADSL connection for years, we went for the fastest package we could get, which is probably way more than we need. Our Sky Q viewing habits have completely changed. We now find it just as easy to watch video on demand as it is to watch recorded content. Before, we used to have to download programs overnight if we'd forgotten to record them. Web browsing just works, with no slowdowns when someone else is streaming or downloading. I find FTTP really good for working from home, as you can send and receive large attachments easily.

WOW this is exactly what I need to hear dewi, Lift my spirits a little. laugh

We tried / applied for SKY Q some time back and was rejected as they won't accept orders for anyone with less than 2Mb, Slow internet really does suck in these (so called) modern times.

Updates on my computer with Windows 10 I leave running overnight, something that should be done in minutes really.

I am checking the relevant sites daily and looking out for the BT vans locally but still nothing.

Always the case when you are waiting, time does drag along.

Many thanks again for your input mate, I appreciate that. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Wed 14-Nov-18 17:50:30
Print Post

We tried / applied for SKY Q some time back and was rejected as they won't accept orders for anyone with less than 2Mb, Slow internet really does suck in these (so called) modern times.

Updates on my computer with Windows 10 I leave running overnight, something that should be done in minutes really.

I am checking the relevant sites daily and looking out for the BT vans locally but still nothing.

I'm in a bit of a more fortunate position in that I had 9-11ish mbit ADSL prior to Hyperoptic coming to my place, however now that I'm on gigabit it's insane what stuff you just stop thinking about. I found myself just casually downloading 100GB+ virtual machine images, modifying them and uploading them again, it just doesn't matter any more to shove daft quantities of data around.
Like others have said, things just become instant. I remember thinking a 20MB download to update the definitions on my antivirus were a lot, back in the days of dial up. Now 20MB is done in 1/5 of a second.

If you're running a business, things like offsite backup suddenly becomes easier; equally remote working in either direction (eg a VPN to your house to use your desktop from when you're out and about, or being a remote employee connecting to the office from home). All painless.

I'm happy that you're getting FTTP soon, bet the uplift from sub 1mbit is going to be like night and day!

Meanwhile, I presume you've looked at this already -- but if not, and if you're still a few months away it might be worth looking at a router with QOS that you can wrangle with. My solution on the ADSL days was a router with the custom Gargoyle firmware on it, which let me specify which devices got priority over others. It meant that a large download on my server would get full speed, but it'd immediately be battered down to only get 1% of the available speed if anything else required data. So I could leave large downloads running and couldn't 'tell' that the transfers were under way; streaming and browsing felt the same. Of course, the more I streamed and browsed on the desktop, the slower the download was.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 14-Nov-18 18:53:17
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

I'm in a bit of a more fortunate position in that I had 9-11ish mbit ADSL prior to Hyperoptic coming to my place, however now that I'm on gigabit it's insane what stuff you just stop thinking about. I found myself just casually downloading 100GB+ virtual machine images, modifying them and uploading them again, it just doesn't matter any more to shove daft quantities of data around.
Like others have said, things just become instant. I remember thinking a 20MB download to update the definitions on my antivirus were a lot, back in the days of dial up. Now 20MB is done in 1/5 of a second.

If you're running a business, things like offsite backup suddenly becomes easier; equally remote working in either direction (eg a VPN to your house to use your desktop from when you're out and about, or being a remote employee connecting to the office from home). All painless.

I'm happy that you're getting FTTP soon, bet the uplift from sub 1mbit is going to be like night and day!

Meanwhile, I presume you've looked at this already -- but if not, and if you're still a few months away it might be worth looking at a router with QOS that you can wrangle with. My solution on the ADSL days was a router with the custom Gargoyle firmware on it, which let me specify which devices got priority over others. It meant that a large download on my server would get full speed, but it'd immediately be battered down to only get 1% of the available speed if anything else required data. So I could leave large downloads running and couldn't 'tell' that the transfers were under way; streaming and browsing felt the same. Of course, the more I streamed and browsed on the desktop, the slower the download was.

Sounds fantastic and makes me hungry, Only downside of living in a beautiful dwelling in Rural Yorkshire is lack of internet to which hopefully will change sooner rather than later.

As quoted earlier waiting is a killer but after 14 years another few months won't matter. wink

Thank you for you're input blueacid, always nice to hear positive reviews from others who have been in a similar situation at some time. smile

BTBroadband
Standard User busterboy
(member) Fri 16-Nov-18 20:00:28
Print Post

Well a good sign today hopefully.

Third party contractors (Morrisons Utilities) came round just after lunch today in a Transit pickup who were actually working for BT Openreach so took the time to ask them (me being nosey) what they were doing.

They were looking at all the existing poles and tapping them with a hammer seeing what needed replacing and what will stay, also looking at the ducts too.

They said most were suitable and won't need replacing so work would be starting in the next couple of weeks fingers crossed.

Zarjaz maybe you could enlighten me. wink

Definitely FTTP to the premises I was told so happy days ahead.

Obviously will be keeping an eye out for further development. laugh

BTBroadband
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Thu 29-Nov-18 15:25:29
Print Post

Ahh that's really exciting!

Must admit, my desire to eventually move out of the city to the countryside will really then lean on this sort of rollout. I'd hate to move somewhere with terrible networking, so if I could have the lovely rolling hills of Yorkshire and FTTP tha'd be grand.
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Thu 29-Nov-18 15:33:43
Print Post

dont hold your breath re the fibre install. where i live the work started in january this year and only went live late last month. (due to have my ftp installed on the 12 dec)

PS one stage installs are now two stage installs as they send a surveyor out to recce the job

Edited by threelegs (Thu 29-Nov-18 15:38:39)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:23:00
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by threelegs:
dont hold your breath re the fibre install. where i live the work started in january this year and only went live late last month. (due to have my ftp installed on the 12 dec)

PS one stage installs are now two stage installs as they send a surveyor out to recce the job

Surveyor has already been out a few weeks ago luckily, contractors have been out two weeks ago and things are moving.
Fingers crossed the long wait for Fibre is getting shorter.

BTBroadband
Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:24:47
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Ahh that's really exciting!

Must admit, my desire to eventually move out of the city to the countryside will really then lean on this sort of rollout. I'd hate to move somewhere with terrible networking, so if I could have the lovely rolling hills of Yorkshire and FTTP tha'd be grand.

Phase 3 is in progress as I type this.

Fingers crossed &#128513;

BTBroadband
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:39:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by threelegs:

Surveyor has already been out a few weeks ago luckily, contractors have been out two weeks ago and things are moving.
Fingers crossed the long wait for Fibre is getting shorter.

the surveyor I mentioned is for the actual install from pole/chamber to house
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:54:48
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

The person you mention isn’t a surveyor, they are fibre trained OR staff who get a ‘pre-install’ task ... trying to iron out unforeseen issues prior to the actual final install.

Standard User F00tS0re
(newbie) Thu 06-Dec-18 09:24:52
Print Post

SNFY is all FTTP, and if you are on their road map then it will happen.

I had a couple of discussions with SNFY to see if I was on the roadmap as a commercial site - I wasn't. So work underway under FTTPoD.
But Phase 3 at SNFY is fully funded and works underway. Clearly timescales may vary but pole work is quick, duct work takes longer and can have unforeseen delays if ducts not accessed for a long time (blocked or crushed ducts etc).
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 19:32:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by B31:

Very unlikely that the local highway and/or planning authority refused Virgin Media expanding their network to your area. This is (in at least the last 5 or 6 years) simply not true and possibly what Virgin Media said to place the blame elsewhere than on them for not wanting to rollout the network.

Telecoms companies can expand there networks using what is known as 'code powers' (Electronic Communications Code - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-interne... ) that allows them to place apparatus within the public highway without requiring planning permission (as such it's permitted development) in most cases. The only places likely to require actual planning permission for apparatus such as cabinets or posts etc. are conservation areas or similar protected statuses. Elsewhere, the public highway is fair game and equipment can be placed upon it without seeking explicit permission. The local highway authority will likely receive details of proposed cabinets etc. to look over from a safety perspective (i.e. they are not being placed on a junction blocking vehicle sight lines etc.) and to assist with co-ordination of civil works (street works) but that is generally as far as it goes.

In short, it's likely that Virgin Media were of the same opinion as Openreach at the time of your contact and it was not commercially viable.

Virgin Media have obviously been expanding under the project lighting banner in various places across England and have recently (still are) working in Thanet in Kent. Various people have complained that they don't want Virgin Media and they shouldn't be allowed to work there but it's a private expansion of the network which Virgin Media have the right to do if they so choose.
Standard User B31
(member) Thu 06-Dec-18 20:07:17
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Virgin Media had the money set aside for the work, they sent letters to all residents saying that work will start in X weeks time, and I had contact details for the planning team and regular emails between us - so I very much doubt VM was the problem.

From the council's point of view, the land (roads and pavements) were owned by the council but an MoU was in place between the council and the developers, and until that was sorted the road could not be dug up (a bit like s38 road adoption, but they always owned the land).

BT FTTP - Superfast Fibre 3 Unlimited. 205 Mbps down / 24 Mbps up.

New build estate that wasn’t given anything I’d call broadband. First four years 1.6 Mbps ADSL. Following two years, and after many openreach visits, 4.3 Mbps!
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-18 23:32:29
Print Post

A statuary undertaker (utility) can place apparatus in the public highway and should not need planning permission to do so. In respect of telecoms companies, the code powers also cover this and have been revised over recent years to highlight the importance of highspeed/ultra speed broadband networks being rolled out.

The likelhood is that your local council may have had other reasons but shouldn't have been refusing permission for apparatus to be placed in the public highway. Council land differs from public highway as well so this is not to be confused.

A s38 shouldn't have stopped any works as until it's fully adopted, the road is the developers and not public highway.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to