General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User F9B54DA3BB3C
(newbie) Thu 15-Nov-18 01:01:03
Print Post

Why the desire for multi port ONT for multiple services?

[link to this post]

In various FTTP threads, I see people wanting one multiple port ONT for multiple FTTP lines rather than having one ONT per line, but what I don't understand, is why?

As far as I can see, if you have two lines for redundancy, you lose that by having both of them run through the same ONT. I can't see it being for speed, because FTTP can go faster than the copper ports on the ONT can.

So the only advantage I can see is that it'll be neater. Hopefully someone will tell me what I'm missing!
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Nov-18 03:27:22
Print Post

Re: Why the desire for multi port ONT for multiple services?

[re: F9B54DA3BB3C] [link to this post]

Copper ports currently go faster than the optical port on Openreach services in many places.

There is a maximum service speed of 330Mbps down and 50Mbps up on the site I currently have Openreach WBC FTTP at. This has multiple VPN connections to remote sites. At the moment, some of these have ADSL so we're not maxing out on data transfers but when remote sites do catch up we'll want faster than 50Mbps up and 330Mbps down. That's where having a multiport ONT comes in handy.

So, yes, it's mostly for speed in my case.

There are also issues of space. This is only part way through the installation of everything on site. It's a lot more crowded than that now.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Thu 15-Nov-18 03:29:55)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Nov-18 03:45:50
Print Post

The second FTTP line would be connected to the same FTTP Distribution Point (DP) and take the same route as the first so the redundancy advantage goes out of the window - eg both lines would get knocked out simultaneously in the event of any cable break. If you wanted proper redundancy you would take out a leased fttp line as a second line, ideally non Openreach/BTW based.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 15-Nov-18 03:47:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Nov-18 03:50:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

To be fair, you would get some redundancy against ISP issues with two services from separate ISPs, even through the same ONT. You do then go back to the ONT itself being a single point of failure.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User candlerb
(member) Thu 15-Nov-18 08:28:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by F9B54DA3BB3C:
So the only advantage I can see is that it'll be neater.

And easier/quicker to install. If your initial service uses a single pre-connectorised fibre, then pulling a second one from the fibre DP to your house could be a messy job.

However, if you already have a spare port on the ONT, then all that happens is that the second service is activated (remotely). It should not even require an engineer visit. It also doesn't require a spare port to be available on your fibre DP.

Two ONTs give you some protection against the ONT itself dying, but otherwise there's little else that's redundant. You'd get a better level of redundancy by keeping a backup copper circuit.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 15-Nov-18 11:01:17
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Why on earth would you pull a second fibre? Surely any sane person would put a sub £10 splitter in the customers premises so you can feed two ONT's?

Here's one from fs,com for £6.50+VAT, you would need a simplex SC-SC coupler too, but they are less than 50p including VAT on fs.com.

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/11615.html
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Nov-18 11:46:35
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Surely any sane person would put a sub £10 splitter in the customers premises so you can feed two ONT's?

The chances of Openreach fitting any sort of fibre splitter are zilch as a single fibre strand is capable of supporting multiple FTTP lines, as long as a 4 port ONT is fitted at the end (which they still supply).

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User candlerb
(member) Thu 15-Nov-18 13:24:33
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Why on earth would you pull a second fibre? Surely any sane person would put a sub £10 splitter in the customers premises so you can feed two ONT's?

This two-port splitter would be daisy-chained with OR's own 32-port splitter, adding 3-4dB of optical loss.

So whether this would work reliably depends on how much spare optical budget there is, which in turn depends on how far away you are from the OLT. It would be for OR to make such a judgement.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Nov-18 15:03:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Surely any sane person would put a sub £10 splitter in the customers premises so you can feed two ONT's?

The chances of Openreach fitting any sort of fibre splitter are zilch as a single fibre strand is capable of supporting multiple FTTP lines, as long as a 4 port ONT is fitted at the end (which they still supply).

I agree, I know my Exchange is "suppose" to be using 10GPON (According to BTOR) which they upgraded before the checker was updated and now says our connection now an handle 1000:220 and when enquiring about that I was told by BTOR they are now using 10GPON between our ONT and the exchange.

But TBH I didn't think the 4 Port ONT could handle 10Gbit, maybe it can, maybe it cant, I just don't know.

But if I was to say get another Ultrafast 2 connection over FTTP, I certainly wouldn't have an extra ONT installed, I would have them just use another port on our current 4 port ONT and then plug that new port to another router.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast 2 + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Nov-18 15:09:41
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Why should the ONT have to handle 10 Gbps? The service is Gigabit at best, and before you say about the underlying optical service being 10 Gbps, remember that standard GPON is 2.5 Gbps potentially.

ONT will really only need to handle 10 Gbps when services with beyond Gigabit Ethernet are sold.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to