General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crawlenj
(newbie) Fri 16-Nov-18 16:25:15
Print Post

How to get FTTP for a self-build

[link to this post]

We have built a new farmhouse 1km out from a village in Sussex. I have contacted Openreach and they have offered a copper fixed line. The cabinet is FTTC.

I have asked about FTTP, but this is only possible for plots with 2 premises. In this case the installation would cost £6,344, but we don't have two plots. I could look at getting a new address (on the barn behind) allocated by the council but I assume they would need a new planning consent before they would do this. And then we would be left with a fibre line installed that we wouldn't ever use.

Another option I thought of is that we have some BT infrastructure on our land (I've found a manhole cover so far) without a current wayleave agreement (I've checked with the historic wayleaves team). Does anyone know if Openreach will install a fibre line in exchange for a wayleave being granted?

Or, has anyone installed the cabling themselves and knows what sort of costs I would need to consider.

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Nov-18 16:55:54
Print Post

Re: How to get FTTP for a self-build

[re: crawlenj] [link to this post]

Why donít you see what kind of quote you are given for FTTPoD ?

Thereís a massive thread re just this a little way down the page.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Nov-18 17:50:50
Print Post

Telecoms operators do have certain rights when it comes to routing their cables, so the absence of a formal wayleave may be less of a bargaining chip than you would like.

See

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User crawlenj
(newbie) Fri 16-Nov-18 18:32:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz, I've sent out a couple of requests for quotes, will add them to the FTTPoD thread when I get them.
Standard User crawlenj
(newbie) Fri 16-Nov-18 18:34:56
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks Michael, it may still be worth looking at, as they would have to go to court to enforce their code rights in the absence of a wayleave agreement with us. I just don't know if Openreach is the sort of company you can negotiate with, or if it's all 'computer says no'...
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Nov-18 20:33:08
Print Post

I suspect you would have to defend the court case and that might be expensive if you lose.

If much of a fibre cable run is on your land you might be able to do the work yourself. You could approach Openreach. Laying fibre cable in the ground, perhaps in a duct is not difficult. Joining the stuff is the problem and requires special equipment.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Nov-18 20:58:52
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

On self digs in partnership with Openreach the usual thing is the partner (Developer) digs the ducting and appropriate chambers required, installing draw ropes and then Openreach rock up and do the actual fibre bit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Nov-18 21:31:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wonder if Openreach will Ďrock upí so readily after they realise itís the same bloke who tried to take them to court over a wayleave issue winklaugh

Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 16-Nov-18 21:44:40
Print Post

You only get a wayleave payment if the plant feeds other than you. I think you are more likely to severely delay your chances of getting a copper service rather than forcing a subsidised fibre service if you withdraw wayleaves.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Nov-18 08:24:57
Print Post

Bear in mind there is a temporary hold on new orders, and when they do start taking new orders you will need to pay the £250 to get a meaningful price, desktop quotes have been way out.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8184-temporary-h...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to