General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Sat 17-Nov-18 17:44:58
Print Post

From 1 stage to 2 stage

[link to this post]

Not sure whether or not to post this in my original thread but it seems like a new topic so posted here.

I had a pretty long installation process for my FTTP due to the distance of the property from the CBT on the main road. This required a couple of surveys and a few engineer visits and eventually required 2 connectorised cables to be jointed in order to cover the 400m plus distance.

I just had a look at the BT Wholesale checker to see what it now says following the install. Interestingly it now says I'm classed as a 2 stage install rather than a 1 stage as it said previously. I also checked my neighbour's address and it has also changed from 1 stage to 2 stage.
I assume this has been updated in light of the more complicated nature of the installation. I would be interested to see what would happen if my neighbour orders FTTP. 2 stage would suggest fibre blown from a drop point to a CSP on his house. How would this work with a CBT on the pole?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-18 18:30:48
Print Post

Re: From 1 stage to 2 stage

[re: DrSteve] [link to this post]

1 and 2 stage is not a direct map to connectorised or blown fibre techniques.

2 stage can exist with connectorised and reflects the need to send a survey out at the least ahead of an install date.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Nov-18 18:32:55
Print Post

Re: From 1 stage to 2 stage

[re: DrSteve] [link to this post]

It *could* be due to a recent change to the connectorised install process ....

All connectorised installs now have a ‘pre-visit’ ..... done to prevent some of the on the install day issues which were delaying tasks.

For both OH and UG pre-visits the routed port on the CBT is checked for light and the level checked.

For a UG job either the fibre is rodded and pulled through leaving a coil outside the property. Or roped to ease the pulling in of the fibre. This will highlight blocked or no duct issues prior to the install.

For OH line of sight between CBT and property checked, length of fibre required, D poles en route, road crossings, hoists required, tree cutting etc.

So while some of these issues might mean a delay to install date, it should ensure it goes OK on the actual date.

This is just a theory as to why it now shows as a two stage task. Other crackpot ideas are equally plausible.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to