General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaffakke
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-18 16:22:17
Print Post

FTTP; equipment identification

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on my fibre question.

Over the summer we saw someone doing a survey on the trees and vegetation, on chatting to him he told us that it was for a fibre installation over the poles - he said that engineers would be heading round about a week or so later to install the fibre. True to his word we had Openreach engineers installing fibre over the poles in front of our property. When we spoke with them they also told us that it was for FTTP and that generally it would be available about a month after they complete the cabling for the service to be ready for installation. That was now over
4 months ago and all the cabling has been completed.

I've contacted BT and they tell me that there are no plans for FTTP in the area (they tell me that the install was for FTTC to our nearest cabinet, which was already fibre enabled before the cabling started!).

I have also contacted Openreach with much the same response - no plans for FTTP and the cabling was for FTTC at our local cabinet - which as I've already said was fibre enabled before!

So my question is; where do I go now? I've attached a link to an image of the equipment that was installed right outside our house, we are in a rural location midway between a main town and a small village; both I understand to already have fibre. Can anyone identify the equipment installed and tell me if I am wasting my time pursuing BT/Openreach for an answer, or who I am best trying to contact?

https://snag.gy/ci1gCR.jpg

many thanks in advance
Matt
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-18 16:40:11
Print Post

Re: FTTP; equipment identification

[re: jaffakke] [link to this post]

The picture shows a mechanism for locking off overhead fibre cabling. (and to its left a copper joint)

As it is that isnít evidence of fibre availability .... it could be providing a single point to point service or some such, the pole is probably just a way point.

Providing your postcode might help others on here provide more detail.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Nov-18 17:03:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Or someone further down the road has orders Fibre on Demand

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-18 17:12:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The picture shows a mechanism for locking off overhead fibre cabling. (and to its left a copper joint)

As it is that isnít evidence of fibre availability .... it could be providing a single point to point service or some such, the pole is probably just a way point.

Providing your postcode might help others on here provide more detail.

That isn't a copper joint to the left, that is a fibre joint as you can clearly see the fibre tubing going in at the bottom of it, plus yellow tag. They use those joints for fibre too, as well as standard universal clip joints below ground.
https://bt.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-i...
https://bt.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-i...

To the OP, look to see if you have a fibre CBT at the top of the pole like this or similar

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

The one at the top of your pole might have more ports on it, depending how many houses your pole serves.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Nov-18 17:46:30
Print Post

[re: jaffakke] [link to this post]

What speeds are you currently getting on FTTC? Its quite rare to see areas with good FTTC speeds overlaid with FTTP in non Fibre First areas.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-18 17:53:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or someone further down the road has orders Fibre on Demand

Yep.

Standard User threelegs
(regular) Sun 18-Nov-18 18:02:09
Print Post

the OP shows a copper joint not a fibre joint I think the "yellow" tags are faded foil from copper cables. the fibre connector box on the poles in my garden doent have a domed top
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-18 18:02:20
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

The two joints you have linked pictures to ARE fibre track nodes, the one in the OPís picture IS a copper MC31 joint.

Openreach do not house fibre joints in 31 series closures, the splicing trays wonít fit. A 31 is round if viewed from above, the joints you show are oval if viewed from above. They ARE for fibre, that joint isnít.

Iíll agree the original picture looks like it shows a fibre lead beneath the joint, but the picture is too vague to see where it is going.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-18 18:03:47
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

Yes, agreed, see my reply to ĎThe Installerí

Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 18-Nov-18 18:07:57
Print Post

I think you are both right. There's a fibre joint behind the copper one if you look very closely. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to