General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User martynp1
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-18 20:46:11
Print Post

Fibre Broadband and FTTPoD

[link to this post]

Hi all reading this!

So I am currently stuck with roughly 7 mbps download speed on Fibre broadband at my household. This is due to the distance I am from the cabinet. I recently checked BT Wholesale ADSL checker and FTTPoD is now available and I was wondering if anyone knew how much it did cost to get this installed for roughly 2 KM of overhead cables through a field (I know no one will be able to give me an accurate guess but some sort of idea would be appreciated). I am also curious about the max downstream as it seems an error was made when editing it haha. Thank you all and the link is below.

https://imgur.com/a/dFucl48

Edited by martynp1 (Sun 18-Nov-18 20:55:28)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Nov-18 21:27:16
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband and FTTPoD

[re: martynp1] [link to this post]

See this current thread. I'm surprised you haven't read it already smile.

What is curious about the downstream maximum speed? On FTTP and FTTPoD your sync speed is not "up to" anything. It is the speed on the label. 330/30 is the speed Openreach have available for your line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User bedrock
(member) Mon 19-Nov-18 08:38:40
Print Post

9 months ago I was pretty much in the same situation as you, and I got a quote for FTTPoD when the new pricing structure came into play and ended up in the 39K club, needless to say I did not proceed.

Anyway, 9 months further on and Openreach have installed FTTP (not the On Demand product) all on there own, so for me it turned out to be a case of waiting patiently. From what I am seeing it does appear that Openreach are starting to actively in-fill areas that can't/won't be further supported by FTTC technology.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User martynp1
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-18 08:57:14
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

FTTPoD only recently became available but I doubt they themselves would bring it to my area even though we don't benefit at all from FTTC as some companies like BT advertise standard broadband to be faster. There are only a few houses near me as we are quite remote frown
Standard User Cammy
(regular) Mon 19-Nov-18 09:07:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have followed the FTTPoD thread from the start but the signal to noise ratio is very low and I don't think it contains any information comparing underground with overhead.

Maybe I'm being naive but I would have thought overhead had fewer unknowns than underground (blocked ducts, cost of digging / traffic management etc) so it must surely be possible to say overhead cost X plus Y per meter.

Edited by Cammy (Mon 19-Nov-18 09:08:43)

Standard User martynp1
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-18 09:08:17
Print Post

https://imgur.com/a/hsBRjgl
Standard User martynp1
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-18 09:12:43
Print Post

[re: Cammy] [link to this post]

Yeah that was kind of what I had in mind, I mean the phone line just goes through some fields but then it also goes up a bit of a footpath however I do get my quote soon so I will let you known.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Nov-18 09:13:54
Print Post

Single premises seemingly a kilometre from next nearest property have seen native FTTP appear, so it can happen, whether it will depend a lot on what the BDUK project in your area is doing and what its target coverage levels are...

i.e. hitting target is more important than helping a specific individual

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Nov-18 09:42:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by martynp1:
Yeah that was kind of what I had in mind, I mean the phone line just goes through some fields but then it also goes up a bit of a footpath however I do get my quote soon so I will let you known.
So you have already asked for a quote.

And from your previous reply to me, you didn't mean the "maximum" speed you queried in your OP, which did appear to be your not understanding FTTP, you meant the observed maximum achieved on FTTC, two months ago. That is almost certainly a sync you did obtain.

Thanks for starting a thread which is a complete waste of time frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User martynp1
(newbie) Mon 19-Nov-18 14:34:41
Print Post

I am very lost and my whole point of this was to seek advice I don't need you telling me it is a waste of time because if you don't have anything helpful to say, please don't say it as it makes me waste time replying to you rather then thanking someone for their help. I was wondering if anyone reading might have had a similar order who went a head with a full survey and how much that was. I also had a question about why BT Wholesale had a maximum speed somewhere on that list of 8000 or something stupid. Please go spend your time on something else as I won't need your input from here.

Thanks,

Martyn smile

Edited by martynp1 (Mon 19-Nov-18 14:35:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to