General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-18 11:31:27
Print Post

Moving Providers

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

I am sure I have posted before about using an OR Modem, but I was never able to use it with my current ISP (Now TV). I am moving to BT Broadband next week, and I am keen to have a Modem as part of the new set up and not rely on BT's HUB.. I would like to go back to having my own Router (I understand my previously used one is not a VDSL2 router). I am connected to a Huawei cabinet so I believe getting a Huawei makes sense, plus they can be unlocked.

Does this seem sensible? Alternatively should I just buy a new VDSL Router? If so any suggestions for a Sub £100 Router for VDSL (BT)?

Thanks in advance.

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-18 11:44:47
Print Post

Re: Moving Providers

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

No idea how you were unable you use the OR modem with Now TV but it does work.

Every single OpenReach FTTC service will sync with the OR modem without ANY configuration.

It's the router that needs special retirements with Now TV.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Nov-18 12:13:15
Print Post

The Openreach modems were good in their day, but now outclassed in terms of sync speed, and any on sale may also be close to dying. Cheap electronics do wear out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(member) Tue 20-Nov-18 12:25:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
I am moving to BT Broadband next week, and I am keen to have a Modem as part of the new set up and not rely on BT's HUB.. I would like to go back to having my own Router (I understand my previously used one is not a VDSL2 router).

You can buy a standalone VDSL modem. I have the Draytek Vigor 130 on a Huawei cab, and it is rock solid. Will set you back about £80 though - plus you need a router as well.

Alternatively, I think some cheaper VDSL routers can be configured into bridge mode, so they act as a modem.

Aside: for router I use Mikrotik hEX PoE, and for wireless a pair of Unifi AC LITE access points. Again, this isn't the cheapest setup (it will be cheaper to buy an integrated router with VDSL and wifi), but it is absolutely rock solid. I have the Unifis ceiling mounted and powered from the Mikrotik.

Both the Draytek and Mikrotik support baby jumbo frames (MTU 1508), so you can have a full MTU 1500 even with the PPPoE overhead.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Nov-18 16:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
Good Morning,

I am sure I have posted before about using an OR Modem, but I was never able to use it with my current ISP (Now TV). I am moving to BT Broadband next week, and I am keen to have a Modem as part of the new set up and not rely on BT's HUB.. I would like to go back to having my own Router (I understand my previously used one is not a VDSL2 router). I am connected to a Huawei cabinet so I believe getting a Huawei makes sense, plus they can be unlocked.
To some extend the answer depends on how long the cable to the cabinet is and what speed you want to get. For example I am close enough to a cabinet to get a max sync speed of about 48000Kbps. As I just pay for a 38Mbps service (40/10) the performance of the modem/router is not critical and an OR modem would work fine if I used it.

Another issue is Wifi performance. Some of the mesh network equipment on the market includes routing capability and could be connected to the OR modem. - If that is of interest to you.

Michael Chare
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-18 17:01:40
Print Post

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Seems like a 3rd party Modem/Router is the better route in my budget.

With that in mind I found this on Amazon UK.

Seems a good price.

CJT.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Nov-18 17:27:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I agree with Bob, the old Openreach VDSL modems are now past their sell by date.

TBF the new BT Smarthubs are OK, good wifi range and the built in modems do well too.

Unless you wish to completely ‘nerd out’, use the one they send ...

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-18 17:34:41
Print Post

I personally would make sure I used a Broadcom chipset with full stats/telnet access.

TP-Link block access to the full Broadcom stats if it's Broadcom (looks like it is).

There's a VR400 V1 & V2 which often have different chipsets between them (often Lantiq in 1, Broadcom in the other).
No idea which is which but Amazon say that model has a Broadcom chipset. Hopefully it isn't just referring to the WiFi chipset.

At least 1 of the VR400 revisions with a Broadcom chipset uses the BCM63168, 1 of the higher syncing/better performing.

Also note the VR400 has Gigabit WAN but only 100Mb LAN ports.

Do you already have a good quality existing router? If so a good VDSL2 modem would be all you needed.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 20-Nov-18 17:46:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
I personally would make sure I used a Broadcom chipset with full stats/telnet access.

TP-Link block access to the full Broadcom stats if it's Broadcom (looks like it is).

There's a VR400 V1 & V2 which often have different chipsets between them (often Lantiq in 1, Broadcom in the other).
No idea which is which but Amazon say that model has a Broadcom chipset. Hopefully it isn't just referring to the WiFi chipset.

At least 1 of the VR400 revisions with a Broadcom chipset uses the BCM63168, 1 of the higher syncing/better performing.

Also note the VR400 has Gigabit WAN but only 100Mb LAN ports.

Do you already have a good quality existing router? If so a good VDSL2 modem would be all you needed.

Hi j0hn83

I have (somewhere) a TP Link Router (which I got from either PC World / Argos) however I cannot seem to find it so I can't remember the model. I do seem to remember I previously posted about it and was told it was NOT VDSL (which was OK at the time as I was supplied with an ECI Modem by OR).

If I can find it I can find out the model number.

CJT.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Nov-18 18:14:12
Print Post

It is very likely the BT Smarthub has a better WiFi spec, and better modem than a combination of your existing router and old BT modem.

AC2600 WiFi spec, 7 antennas etc.

Give it a go, it's a solid device and they seem to have removed the 14 day reboot cycle I used to experience.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to