General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shibbyrj
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 16:44:20
Print Post

80Mbit vs 11Mbit

[link to this post]

I have the BT "superfast fibre" contract, which I've had for a while now but have started to get fed up with the quality of my connection.

The BT availability checker returns a result of "up to 80Mbit", with a guaranteed minimum of 68Mbit. However, I get around 11Mbit. I haven't had it any higher than 12Mbit.

Having already complained to BT, they've sent the Openreach engineers out twice without any success. They tried everything, including a new port etc but the upshot is (they tell me) that my most local cabinet doesn't have fibre directly to it, instead there is only copper between my house and the actual cabinet with fibre and the net distance is too great. Something along these lines is what I was told, anyway.

The current situation: BT are giving me a few days to explore the option of other providers. So my question is: what hope do I have with other providers? Don't they use the same network? They certainly seem to use the same speed checkers, returning the same blatantly false predictions that I don't trust. So I'm not certain what to do?

Thanks!
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-18 16:52:51
Print Post

Re: 80Mbit vs 11Mbit

[re: shibbyrj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shibbyrj:
The BT availability checker returns a result of "up to 80Mbit", with a guaranteed minimum of 68Mbit. However, I get around 11Mbit. I haven't had it any higher than 12Mbit.
Could you post the actual text here (without your number) ?
Having already complained to BT, they've sent the Openreach engineers out twice without any success. They tried everything, including a new port etc but the upshot is (they tell me) that my most local cabinet doesn't have fibre directly to it, instead there is only copper between my house and the actual cabinet with fibre and the net distance is too great. Something along these lines is what I was told, anyway.
That sounds correct. Unfortunately the idiots at the ASA have long allowed ISPs to advertise 'fibre broadband' when in fact most people have 'Fibre To The Cabinet' (FTTC) with the last few hundred metres being a copper telephone line. Unfortunately for some people that last run of copper is many hundreds of metres and that reduces the speed significantly.

It's odd though that the checker says you should get faster, especially by that amount. Are you testing with a wired connection? Do you know where your cabinet is?
The current situation: BT are giving me a few days to explore the option of other providers. So my question is: what hope do I have with other providers? Don't they use the same network? They certainly seem to use the same speed checkers, returning the same blatantly false predictions that I don't trust. So I'm not certain what to do?
Unless you have Virgin Media in your area it is unlikely that another ISP can do better.

But it's important that you eliminate problems of your own making (poor wifi setup, poor internal wiring) and a large difference between what you get and what the checker says you can get suggests something wrong inside your house. It's not unheard of for the checker to be wrong but it's fairly uncommon.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 04-Dec-18 16:53:29)

Standard User shibbyrj
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:12:49
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Could you post the actual text here (without your number) ?

Sure, the text is as follows:
Great news
You can get speeds up to 80Mb with Superfast Fibre 2, and you can get BT TV.

Fibre broadband

Download Speed: 74Mb-80Mb
Estimated download speed range*
Minimum Speed: 68Mb

Standard broadband

Download Speed: 8.5Mb-19Mb
Estimated download speed range*

Minimum Speed:3.5Mb

As you can see, I may as well have ADSL!

One other thing I've remembered, they did say on the phone that "the point of sale figure was 22Mbit" but I don't really have any way to prove/disprove that as it was a long time ago now, currently the checker returns the above.

It's odd though that the checker says you should get faster, especially by that amount. Are you testing with a wired connection? Do you know where your cabinet is?

Odd and frustrating! My nearest cabinet is ~100m away, but that receives copper from the FTTC cabinet, which is another ~400m from that, looking at the rough locations on a map. Note this is based on my very limited understanding of cabinets and how they work. This is how they explained it to me and presumably they have a way of testing that?

But it's important that you eliminate problems of your own making (poor wifi setup, poor internal wiring) and a large difference between what you get and what the checker says you can get suggests something wrong inside your house. It's not unheard of for the checker to be wrong but it's fairly uncommon.

The engineers have done all of this. they tried a direct speed test from outside if I remember correctly.

Edited by shibbyrj (Tue 04-Dec-18 17:18:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:21:43
Print Post

PLease could you use this checker, using your phone number, then upload a screen shot of the result after editing out your phone number on the line above the table but retaining the rest of that line smile.

That gives us much fuller information than you already have.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:22:04
Print Post

"My nearest cabinet is ~100m away, but that receives copper from the FTTC cabinet, which is another ~400m from that"

The nearest cabinet may not be the one you are connected to, it may not even be an Openreach one, can you private message me your postcode and can give some more detail and a public summary without revealing your location.

The mapping system we have does not use the Openreach estimates but our own model and this makes it possible to spot some quirks, if you are in Northern Ireland there is a history of really odd checker results.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-18 17:34:27
Print Post

If possible could you post the line statistics from your router please ?

Attenuation, sync rates, SNR etc.

Standard User shibbyrj
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 20:16:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help!

Here's the screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ainkcr5cz7dtlz1/dsl-cleck....

Is cabinet 25 the same thing as cabinet P25? It seems this was upgraded to FTCC in October this year. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that my connection was down altogether for 6 days in October and has been a poorer connection since.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-18 20:18:13
Print Post

It looks from your estimates, and the speeds you are receiving, that you may be on standard broadband and not fibre at all.

What modem/router do you use and could you give any line statistics it provides?

Regarding the cabinets. The availability checker shows your cabinet is fibre enabled.
This means your PCP cabinet (local green BT cabinet containing copper wires) has its own FTTC cabinet (shiny new green cabinet with vents on it).
The FTTC cabinet is usually placed within 20m of the PCP.
The absolute maximum distance for this is 100m. Having the FTTC cabinet that far away from the PCP is not common.

There is no way your cabinet can be fed from an FTTC cabinet 400m away.

The line stats should help tell us what's what. If you have a very old Home hub that would be an indicator.

edit: definitely FTTC if you get 4Mb upload. The screenshot you added suggests FTTC.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 04-Dec-18 20:19:51)

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-18 20:19:40
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

His number has a left in jumper for ADSL2+, so that would suggest he at least was on VDSL. Plus, a recent observed speed test shows VDSL results, not ADSL ones.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 04-Dec-18 20:20:20)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-18 20:22:14
Print Post

Do you know where Cabinet 25/PCP25 is in relation to yourself?

Can you check your direct neighbours estimates, by full address, and see if they get estimated speeds as high as you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to