General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User F9B54DA3BB3C
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:01:31
Print Post

Pole replacement, combined fibre & copper drop wires

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

There's a pole that's recently started leaning (badly) that I think Openreach are going to have to replace and I'm wondering if this will also mean that all the connected properties will get the new combined fibre & copper drop wires and if there's any way to take advantage of this (I'm thinking a community fibre project to get FTTP, or something along those lines).

Any advice / similar experiences (even if it's just that it'll do no good and thinking about it is a waste of time!) gratefully received.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:36:01
Print Post

Re: Pole replacement, combined fibre & copper drop wires

[re: F9B54DA3BB3C] [link to this post]

If its just leaning then may just need reseating, unless it's been overloaded or been hit. They may need to disconnect the drop wires to do this. They won't replace with combined fibre and copper. You would have to a fibre project up and running before they would do that. Unless there is need to climb the pole it won't get touched until either someone reports it or it comes up to its inspection date.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:37:22
Print Post

Short answer, is no, if the pole is dangerous they will only replace that pole.

Longer answer is this, to enable FTTP to your location, they have run fibre, to a primary splitter, then a secondary splitter, and if i'm correct a fibre dp, and only then once you order fttp, your drop wire will be replaced.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 21-Dec-18 13:56:24
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone, I'll go back to just measuring how much it's leaning by. It's been a bit at an angle ever since it was put in, but I think the lean has increased recently (only been measuring it since thinking it looked worse than usual). If it leans too far, it'll get clipped by a lorry going round the corner, but (hopefully) it'll either stop moving or get fixed before it gets that far!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Dec-18 14:07:40
Print Post

See this leaning post. (Scroll to the bottom).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 21-Dec-18 14:20:35
Print Post

It won't fix itself. If it's a danger to vehicles either report it to openreach direct 0800 0232023 or raise with your local highways department or via fixmystreet.
(newbie) Fri 21-Dec-18 14:48:40
Print Post

Done that. It was within allowable lean when checked (or words like that). Hence why I'm now keeping track of it, so there'll be clear evidence that it's moving and not just not vertical.
Standard User Retron
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-19 16:13:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by F9B54DA3BB3C:
Any advice / similar experiences (even if it's just that it'll do no good and thinking about it is a waste of time!) gratefully received.

A dustcart driver reversed into the pole serving my house last month and knocked it over, snapping the copper wire to my house in the process. It was replaced within 3 days and the cable has been joined.

The reason I mention this? I'm heading towards the end of an FTTPoD order and spools of fibre have appeared on neighbouring poles. They didn't run combined fibre/copper cabling back to my pole even though it's clear that fibre is present, so I doubt they'd do it in your case either.

A picture showing the replacement cable, along with an old pole festooned with all sorts of phone lines, power etc, is here:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/5dqcn5.jpg

The replacement cable is the thin one heading off to the right; it goes to a pole at the end of my garden and then there's a drop to my house and another to my neighbour.

Edited by Retron (Sat 12-Jan-19 16:17:46)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 12-Jan-19 17:51:25
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

Joint user poles (carry both electric and phone cables) maybe a separate issue. I'm not sure Openreach have an agreement with all the electricity DNOs to add new fibre attachments.
With FTTP becoming more widespread, what happens in one area maybe different to others.
Standard User Retron
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-19 04:15:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Joint user poles (carry both electric and phone cables) maybe a separate issue. I'm not sure Openreach have an agreement with all the electricity DNOs to add new fibre attachments.
With FTTP becoming more widespread, what happens in one area maybe different to others.

They've got agreement in my case (the poles carry power, copper, fibre, in that order); it'd have made sense for them to run a new combined copper/fibre cable to replace the broken copper one. They didn't.

As you say, though, in some areas they don't have agreements so it might be different elsewhere.
  Print Thread

Jump to