General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techno_gadget
(newbie) Mon 17-Dec-18 13:24:05
Print Post

FTTPoD - Desktop Survey

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I had a desktop survey done back in March2018, however it cam back at nearly 18k so thought better of it.

Since then approx 35 houses are getting built at the end of my road, and I have been told by the house builder they are getting FTTP.

So I thought I would request another desktop quote as it has been over 9months, however Cerberus has just told me I would need to do a field survey, as they cannot request another desktop survey even though its been 9mths since.

Is this correct?, seems pretty strange, what would happen if I had just purchased the house and the previous people had requested it etc.

Worst case I will just pay for the survey, just trying to minimise the risk to be honest.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 17-Dec-18 13:53:01
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD - Desktop Survey

[re: techno_gadget] [link to this post]

Yes they are correct.
Even if you try via another ISP my understanding is the same desktop quote is returned.

In all the cases I've seen, having FTTP infrastructure installed nearby has made absolutely zero impact on quotes/surveys.

You still need to pay for the full build from Agg Node to your property.

The assumption that you would only be charged for a small run from the end of your street is not how I understand it to work.

edit:

seems pretty strange, what would happen if I had just purchased the house and the previous people had requested it etc.

They would get an identical desktop quote?

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 17-Dec-18 19:43:04)

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 17-Dec-18 17:50:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by techno_gadget:
Worst case I will just pay for the survey, just trying to minimise the risk to be honest.

Perhaps best to wait until the houses are built - as I doubt the new infrastructure that *might* serve you will show up until it's there.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techno_gadget
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-18 22:13:11
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:

Perhaps best to wait until the houses are built - as I doubt the new infrastructure that *might* serve you will show up until it's there.

Hi,

Yea, I might just do that, trouble I had was do I ask just now for the survey, and get a pull from one of the planned DP for the new houses, but if this is unlikely then there is no point just now.

Cerberus did say the surveyor should be already aware of the current plans for the new build houses......and of course I would mention it to them when they visited......due to the layout of the new builds I know that the finer will be passing my house, and I have seen a new chamber installed, about 120M away from me (I used google maps to route the fibre from the new DP to my house via the current ducting)

Does anyone know how long the quote is valid for if I do request one?, when do you need to pay for the install if you decide to go ahead, is it within the quote window, or is it within X days of saying go ahead?

Also say I do ask for a quote, and say in 3mths time is it possible to get another survey done and a new quote generated? (Just thinking about when the new infrastructure will be in place for the new build houses)
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-18 09:34:49
Print Post

Does anyone know how long the quote is valid for if I do request one?, when do you need to pay for the install if you decide to go ahead, is it within the quote window, or is it within X days of saying go ahead?

You have 30 days from receiving the final price.

In fact you're not technically paying for a quote: right from the start you're placing an order for installation, which triggers the survey process. Once the final quote is provided you have 30 days either to accept it and continue, or cancel the order for a charge of £250+VAT.

Also say I do ask for a quote, and say in 3mths time is it possible to get another survey done and a new quote generated? (Just thinking about when the new infrastructure will be in place for the new build houses)

I don't see why not, but you'll be paying £250+VAT each time.
  Print Thread

Jump to