General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tinderboxy
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-18 10:13:49
Print Post

Ultrafast Fibre - Advice sought

[link to this post]

This is a bit of a saga so apologies in advance!

We live in a large house, in a rural area. Our living arrangements are that we occupy one part of the house and my partner's parents live in another part on the upper floor. We have separate phone lines that come from a pole in the garden. We also have separate broadband providers.

Recently we were delighted to see that fibre to the premises was now available, so we ordered an Ultrafast Fibre package and so did my partner's parents.

All was well,the engineer came to visit and said he'd probably do both lines on the same day, the 14th of December. Both home hubs were to arrive on the 13th.

Come the 13th my partner's parents router arrived, but there was no sign of ours. We contacted BT and were informed it would be sent out straightaway.

On the 14th the same engineer arrived to connect us, or so we thought. When asked he said he was only here to do one line, we were not on his notes. Helpful as I'd taken the day off work! Perhaps rather hastily we contacted BT and told them to cancel our order, we would find a provider elsewhere. Shortly after cancelling we received an email saying our line would be installed on the 20th and another email confirming cancellation. A couple of days later the hub arrived!

Then we contacted our alternative provider who informed us that as an ONT had been installed at property then they, and nobody else for that matter, would be able to provide us with FTTP, regardless that the two households are separate and have seperate phone lines.

We then went back to BT who told us the same thing but if we changed the address for our part of the house then Openreach might connect us.

Is this really the case? If so what options do we have? I should add that the ONT and home hub are 30ish metres away and up a flight of stairs so we don't even pick up it's signal. Running a cable that distance doesn't seem practical, or is it?

Anyway it's all very frustrating!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Dec-18 10:34:50
Print Post

Re: Ultrafast Fibre - Advice sought

[re: tinderboxy] [link to this post]

It seems to me the best/easiest option would be to have an internal data cable run from the router to an access point in your property.... then cancel your line and share the costs with the parents.....

You can arrange this via some local company.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-18 11:02:51
Print Post

If it's your partner's parents house, then of course they should have priority over having the fibre line installed?

If on the other hand both parties have financially contributed to the purchase of the property, then I would say do a proper split of the property (this could involve planning permission) and of course would result in higher bills (such as paying separate council tax).

The easiest and cheapest ways to get around this would be.

1. Do as Zarjaz had suggested.

or

2. Your partners parents could order a second fibre line and then you could run a cat6 cable to your router at your end of the property.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brookheather
(regular) Wed 19-Dec-18 11:18:23
Print Post

You could pay the extra £5 pm subscription for the new BT Complete Home product - they will send you as many extra discs as required to cover the whole house. Personally I would look to run some CAT6 cable connecting the two parts of the house - you could run it along the outside wall with some weatherproof cable.
Standard User tinderboxy
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-18 11:42:56
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Thanks to all three of you for your replies.

I'm not annoyed about who took priority, just the fact that at no point during the ordering/site visit etc. were we told that one of our orders would not be fulfilled.

In terms of fitting an access point, is it as simple as running an cat6 cable from the Router to the access point?

Both of our kids enjoy online gaming. Would using a wireless access point have a negative effect on their experience?

I haven't been able to locate any information about requesting a second fibre line on the BT website. Will the equipment Openreach installed support this?

Please forgive my ignorance in all matters broadband. I really do appreciate your efforts!

Edited by tinderboxy (Wed 19-Dec-18 11:45:44)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Dec-18 11:52:38
Print Post

On the end of the Cat6 you could put a switch and connect access points to the switch. That way you can take direct cabled ethernet from the switch for as many devices as possible and do the others via wireless (as you likely would if you had a router there). You could potentially use a router as the switch and access point but it needs a little setting up to make that work (although not particularly difficult if you have the right router)..
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-18 11:57:32
Print Post

You're very welcome.

As most people would normally order a secondary fibre line using the already installed ONT, the issue doesn't normally arise that you've experienced and hence why you were not told about it when ordering as they were separate orders.

If you run cat6 cable, you can always install a network switch and run multiple cables to various locations around the house for such things as games consoles without the need for using wireless connections.

If the ONT has multiple ports then it would support having another fibre line installed (otherwise a new ONT with multiple ports would be needed and asked for during ordering). I would order by telephone rather than online so that you can make sure that the ordering team know exactly what you are ordering and can save further problems in the future.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-18 13:29:12
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
2. Your partners parents could order a second fibre line and then you could run a cat6 cable to your router at your end of the property.

Although I agree in general with the thrust of this thread, I would say it's not worth buying CAT6. CAT5e is all you need, to run at 1Gbps for up to 100 metres.

CAT6 has identical performance at 1Gbps. The benefit is that it supports 10Gbps, but only up to 55 metres. For 10Gbps at 100m you would need CAT6A.

CAT6/CAT6A are more expensive, less easy to bend, and more difficult to terminate properly than CAT5e. If you really want to future-proof for 10+Gbps then fibre would be a better option. And if they are separate buildings then you really should use fibre, for safety reasons.
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-18 14:14:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by robertcrowther:

Although I agree in general with the thrust of this thread, I would say it's not worth buying CAT6. CAT5e is all you need, to run at 1Gbps for up to 100 metres.

CAT6 has identical performance at 1Gbps. The benefit is that it supports 10Gbps, but only up to 55 metres. For 10Gbps at 100m you would need CAT6A.

CAT6/CAT6A are more expensive, less easy to bend, and more difficult to terminate properly than CAT5e. If you really want to future-proof for 10+Gbps then fibre would be a better option. And if they are separate buildings then you really should use fibre, for safety reasons.

If you are buying patch cables then yes cat5e is cheaper, but if you buy it in 100 meter reels then you can get cat6 very cheaply and often cheaper than cat5e
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Wed 19-Dec-18 15:59:14
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

You can run Cat6a now and terminate to Cat5e standards. Then if you do need more performance in 10 years get it properly terminated.

Note that if your run is short aka under 55m and you don't have big cable bundles than Cat6 is good enough for 10Gbps; this is the case for most domestic installations. Further Cat6 is good for 5Gbps out to 100m, with Cat5e only being good for 2.5Gbps.

Personally I would run a minimum of Cat6, the extra cost is low and you get a good wodge of future proofing in a domestic scenario built in.
  Print Thread

Jump to