General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dogdiego
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 06:19:58
Print Post

Vodafone insisting I use Windows?

[link to this post]

I've been getting some significant slow down on an evening, especially single thread downloads.

When I contacted Vodafone (via twitter) I was advised to take a number of screenshots of results from speedtest.net. When I provided them, I was then told they meant thinkbroadband speed tests. Again, I've now done that.

They then queried what device I was using (Chromebook running Chrome OS), wired in via a usb hub. I was told this wasn't acceptable and I needed to use a Windows device in safe mode to ensure there were no applications running in the background. I advised them that surely a Chromebook was an ideal candidate for running these tests, as they aren't even capable of running applications... But that has fallen on deaf ears and I'm just being told I need to borrow a Windows device before they'll escalate the issue.

Problem is, I don't own a Windows device and the only one I could realistically lay my hands on to spend the day taking different results, is my work device, which is severely restricted and I highly doubt would even let me boot into safe mode (although going to check today).

So where do I stand? I'm struggling to believe Vodafone's tech support begins and ends at Windows devices.

Any help appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 08:11:06
Print Post

Re: Vodafone insisting I use Windows?

[re: Dogdiego] [link to this post]

It sounds like flannel to me ....

A read of posts on this forum seems to hint at some congestion type issues for some VF users.... so maybe that’s a possible cause.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 08:19:33
Print Post

They are trying to rule out device limitations by insisting on a device type they understand. It is poor support practice but somewhat understandable in a mass market. For all they know the USB hub you are using could be limited to low throughput or the device might be maxing CPU or memory. However, you could see the next stage would be a Windows device of a known specification otherwise the Windows device could have a poor network card or limited memory/processor.

It is hard for ISPs as there are a number of things in the user end of things that could cause speed limitations and they need to try and rule out as many as possible - if BT come out and it turns out the line is fine and it was the device limiting it then the bill for the callout is not cheap.

But if they are insisting on it then it should be clear in their Ts&Cs as it may mean people would not sign up for the service knowing they couldn't do troubleshooting (I personally no longer have a Windows device so wouldn't be able to do that testing if I was asked - although I might be able to borrow one).

Edited by ian72 (Wed 09-Jan-19 08:20:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dogdiego
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 09:13:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I can see nowhere on their current T&C's or previous T&C's (applicable when I joined) that stipulate support is only provided to Windows devices - I think that's an important point Ian, thanks.

I understand it must be tricky to provide blanket support across all devices. If I was using some obscure Linux Distro I could understand, but Chromebooks are relatively popular and Chrome OS is nothing more than a glorified Chrome browser.

I think I'll approach them again with your final point. I tried my work Windows 10 tablet but as expected as I don't have administrative rights, it's a non-starter.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-19 12:04:19
Print Post

If you look at the latency graph you can usually tell if something else is using a connection heavily.

In Windows the Task Manager also will show the data rates across the network interface irrespective of admin rights, i.e. if that is zero before and after a speed test then suggests not other apps chewing bandwidth.

Not had a Chromebook, does that have similar visibility of how busy the different interfaces are?

Does sound like classic ISP making you jump through so many loops that they know you will fail and they can say 'your problem'

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 22:35:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dogdiego:
I tried my work Windows 10 tablet but as expected as I don't have administrative rights, it's a non-starter.

There is zero need for admin rights to run speed tests.The only thing they should ask you to do is run the tests via ethernet as that discounts many issues of wifi.

May i ask what issues you were having and what speed service you are on ?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Jan-19 06:18:47
Print Post

Perhaps take your chrome book and test it on a known good connection which is much faster than yours, that would prove the equipment was up to the job, it might be enough to convince support that you are getting valid results.

Standard User Dogdiego
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 07:24:27
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

There is zero need for admin rights to run speed tests.The only thing they should ask you to do is run the tests via ethernet as that discounts many issues of wifi.

They're asking me to boot in safe mode with networking and then run the speedtests. Safe mode is something I can't access with my work laptop. Honestly, I think it's just a case of it's not in their script therefore they refuse to help.

Perhaps take your chrome book and test it on a known good connection which is much faster than yours, that would prove the equipment was up to the job, it might be enough to convince support that you are getting valid results.

I genuinely don't think they'd be interested. I've looked on other support forums for other providers and I've not seen it being mentioned once about booting into safe mode with networking. The only consistent direction ISP's give when trying to diagnose issues is to be connected via ethernet.

My sync speed is below that of my minimum guaranteed so for the time being, I'm using that angle. They've referred it to Tech2 who will apparently contact me in 48 hours and when they do I'll have that conversation again about my chromebook.

Edited by Dogdiego (Thu 10-Jan-19 07:24:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Jan-19 08:35:22
Print Post

Although I agree Vodafone are being ridiculous, I fail to see how you cannot start your Windows device in Safe Mode. That is basically a function of the manufacturer’s firmware and it would be odd for the manufacture to modify that for your employers.

Openreach/BT buying tailored firmware from Huawei and ECI for huge bulk purchases is one thing. This is quite another.

Have you googled how to start your device in Safe Mode? It can be tricky to do as it can require very precise timing in pressing the required function key, but I believe it should be possible.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Dogdiego
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 08:49:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's a Windows 10 device, so accessing it is slightly different. (holding down shift while restarting)

That said, the option for safe mode with networking is definitely missing. Whether or not it would appear if I was logged in as an administrator I'm unsure but it's not something I'm going to be allowed access to.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to